Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok thinking out loud here i want more power from my ef xr8 was planning n/a but if i went twin t's on a very modest setup, what should i use and what power should i expect.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what sort of dollars would this setup cost

·
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA
1,043 Posts
i'd suggest a pair of t3's from a nissan vg30 (these can upgraded with gt30/35's with no manifold changes- $1500 or so.
a pair of exhaust manifolfd $800
a pair of rx7 series 4 intercoolers $400
then a fueling upgrade would be required...

444 cc injectors from a skyline gtr $ duno,
or a set of 550cc injectors from me for $600

a bosch 040 pump should be enuf $420 or so.

and a ecu and tune $2000
total- 7000 being generous.

will spool by 2000rpm, hold out to redline, and make around 450fwhp on about 10-12 psi.

i'd strongly suggest talking to ebxr8240 on the forums cos he's done it all before.. twin t3's on a eb xr8

cheers.joe.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I would definitely agree about the VG30's if you want to do it in stages, the larger exhaust housing would go well with larger compressors. The RB25's if hi-flowed with just on the compressor side might get compressor surge. The RB25's I think are better if you don't want to upgrade, newer and ball-bearing. BUT they cost twice the price.

Also I have heard of some jap wrecker selling a RX7 ser 4 turbo with intercooler for $250, that was about a year ago. Although they might need a rebuild.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so the rb35's would be 3k then, what sort of power would they produce . and when you say being generous is that over pricing or under pricing the setup.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
VG30T/ Hitachi is B/B they are $500 second hand at SSS etc.The only problem these turbo's have is at high boost/ turbo rpm the exhaust turbine delaminates, but twins on a 5 Ltr should be o/k. But thats when a high flow kit gets done..The other Nissan's may be the same...Then there's the GT series at approx $2200 ea new...

·
1,043 Posts
XRQTOR said:
so the rb35's would be 3k then, what sort of power would they produce . and when you say being generous is that over pricing or under pricing the setup.

i over price on the final figure...

what ever you budget expect to a coupla grand more... dont know why, it just always goes that way.

cheers.joe.

·
Registered
529 Posts
No the price he is mentioning is the estimated cost of hi-flowing. RB25 turbos tend to be around the $7-800 mark and the VG30 tend to fluctuate more from $3-500. Apparently there are several different versions of the VG30, steel/ceramic turbine and ball bearing/sleeve. The oldest VG30 would be sleeve and steel. The R33 RB25 never changed, some of the R34 ones had a plastic compressor wheel but these would be rare due to their youth.

You should be able to get either a little cheaper for two. Also everyone is talking about a VG30DET turbo not VG30DETT which would be puny.

Also if you look around hard you should be able to get an intercooler made up using 2 RX7 cores for ~$500. I sold my pair of cores about 3 months ago for $170 and they were mint. These cores would flow superbly as a pair, I only sold mine because I sold the car.

·
1,043 Posts
not ford said:
The R33 RB25 never changed, some of the R34 ones had a plastic compressor wheel but these would be rare due to their youth.
:AAHHH: PLASTIC WHEELS!!!!! wouldnt trust them too far in a performance application

not ford said:
You should be able to get either a little cheaper for two. Also everyone is talking about a VG30DET turbo not VG30DETT which would be puny.
i am talking about turbos from a nissan vg30 det (single turbo version)

not ford said:
Also if you look around hard you should be able to get an intercooler made up using 2 RX7 cores for ~$500. I sold my pair of cores about 3 months ago for $170 and they were mint. These cores would flow superbly as a pair, I only sold mine because I sold the car.
i suggested this earlier, series 4 ones are the pick of the bunch with the high flow rating and 4 th highest mass out of all jap import coolers, the series 5 is not far behind but flows 3rd.

cheers.joe.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Also under 14psi you should never have the ceramic turbine delaminating. Most of the jap cars are running extra boost on the stock intercoolers which produce about a 3-4psi pressure drop. This means at 12psi manifold the turbo will see 15-16psi and I can guarantee there are a few running like this.

If you use your motor as is you shouldn't be going over 14psi anyhow.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
VG 30T need a 1mm oil restrictor also with b/b turbos...Why muck around with intercoolers.. They are $900.00 [Hybrid] new so why bother with std type designed for smaller engines....

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok things getting very technical here im not to bright so bare with me, to make it easy as a daily driver i would like the car to run say 300ish fwkw and then be able to boost it to 350up, without having to go over the top by buying huge turbos or spending massive amounts of cash else where. also what would the ford short block be safe to power wise, i know the blocks are rated to like 450hp. but 500 wouldnt really put it under to much stress. and front mount i/c what would a custom one be worth im geussing decent dollars, and if i bought a big second hand one can they b cut down at all, sorrie for the questions but if i can get this insured at all i'd spend the money. cheers fellas XRQTOR

·
Banned
555 Posts
the late model windsor blaocks shouldnt be pushed as they are very thin in the castings on the crank mains if u want more u will have to buy late 60's early 70;s style block.

·
1,043 Posts
yes, a crank girdle will go a long way to helping the bottom end.

XRQTOR -

a pair of rb25 turbo's will see your planned 300fw kw,
but the vg30det turbo, have the advantage of future upgrades and more power potential,

yes you can cut down coolers, it's easier to cut them down over their length (thru the cooling fins) then it is to cut the core verticaly,(thru the air passeges), jeez i hope i explained that well enuf lol.

but best to grab a 600x300x75/90 mm cooler of the shelf they range from 700-1500, depending on cooler core brand and fabricator.

the one ebxr8240 suggested.. hybrid i think, they are a pretty decent brand, and last time i checked they were asking 900 for the 600x300x90mm cooler.

using two mazda series 4 rx7 coolers will mean you have that large cooler, but at only 500 odd bucks, problem is they never will work as well as one proper made custom one.

cheers.joe.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you are going custom with the cooler I would go really wide (~5-600mm) and short (4-500mm) and then mount it to flow verically. That way you can plumb both turbos into each side at the bottom. A pair of RX7 intercooler would essentially do this but smaller. If you want to keep your motor unopened you want the biggest intercooler possible.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
I tried to do it vertically but found the bonnet catch needed to be modded and plumbing of pipes was not as easy..Thats the way I wanted though! I had to run another X over pipe to take flow from left turbo being crossflow.Once cold pipes go through inner guard there is heaps of room..Depending on model abs etc ??

Yes 500 h.p max!!Depending on driving style and forget about T5's also...The experts www.turbomustangs.com say the stud girdle only helps it from fulling apart along with gear box etc...

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
um young bloke driving style, ebxr8 how much did you have to mod to fit the twin turbos in what had to be cut removed that sort of stuff, also is there anyone round syd area who you would reccomend to do this without using a big name shop who'll charge bulls**t amounts to do it.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
XRQTOR said:
um young bloke driving style, ebxr8 how much did you have to mod to fit the twin turbos in what had to be cut removed that sort of stuff, also is there anyone round syd area who you would reccomend to do this without using a big name shop who'll charge bulls**t amounts to do it. oh and also in ur profile it said you;ve got 270rwkw what times you running with this power

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
whats your best et ebxr98 if you dont mund me askin

1 - 20 of 29 Posts