Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon, my brother and I returned to the Focus from shopping to find the front left hand tyre bulging out in a particular spot, looking ready to blow! They were the standard GoodYear's, and rather than take our chances with it, we moved the car to an empty area of the carpark and changed the tyre.

Spoke to Ford, they said to ring a Good Year dealership, dropped by them, and they said I must have hit a gutter and pinched the tyre for that to happen. They said it could last the life of the tyre, or it could blow out tomorrow, they can't tell.

Hopefully it won't matter anyway, as these tyres will soon no longer be needed (the spare will return to its correct position), but it seems strange that the tyre would have this bulging, especially as I cannot remember hitting any gutters, and the wheel itself has no damage. I have hit a gutter before in my previous car (quite hard too :fraz: ) and never had this.

Anyways, glad we picked it up before the thing let go in a big way and left tyre marks all down the side of the car! That would have really sucked! :AAHHH:

Oh yeah, and the standard jack was really easy to use, but getting it all back in the way it was took a few attempts!

Cheers..... Tim!

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
Having rotated my tyres once before I know exactly what you mean by that jack issue... it is great until you have to put it away he he. But how about using one of your steels as a spare instead of the stupid space saver? That's resolve safety issues and the fact that space savers are actually ILLEGAL!!!!!!!! That's right, they're illegal but most cops will turn a blind eye as long as you can prove you definitely have a flat in your boot...

As for the dodgy Goodyear... that's a first and it's typical of them saying "ohh you must have hit a gutter" etc. Not even the corporations accept responsibility these days, they've jumped on the same boat as all the individual bludgers who litigate everything and accept no personal responsibility. Hope it works out well anyway for you mate. If that doesn't support getting rubber bands on big rims then I don't know what does!!!

Matt

·
Old Ford Fan
340 Posts
My wifes van had a similar issue- I check tires often and know nothing was hit, only thing I think POSSIBLY might have caused it, couple days ago stopped at a gas station with a really rough parking lot, as going back to car, noticed I had parked on a rather big piece of gravel- not huge mind you, but was noticably indenting the tire...problem with 'air blister' was noticed a couple days later. Sucks too as tires were only about 10% used...dunno if parking on a small rock would cause plies to separate enough to leak air to outer layer of sidewall or not, if not just poorly built tire...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've seen it happen on loads of tyres. Hitting gutters is often not the cause, as I know these cars haven't hit gutters, but would've hit some decent potholes around Sydney. There's no warranty on them, which I find quite interesting from a consumer protection standpoint.

Anyway, for me, I just don't buy that brand again. Pirelli P Zero Rosso and Avon ZZ1 are tyres I've experienced side wall blisters on. My guess is they just can't handle Aussie rough roads.

However, with all of that, I'm surprised to hear a GS-D2 F1 fail. They're very common here and I've never heard of one failing.

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
Only had this type of problem on 1 tyre before, and that was after a 130kph spin in the Adelaide Hills and a flat spot, shouldnt expect it to blister from just driving around, or even hitting a gutter

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've seen it happen on some 205/50R17s within 2000kms. On 195/50R16s within 5000kms on two tyres. Most of the time I've ever seen it is on very new tyres, rather than old ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts