Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
falcongt4me
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear from anyone who has a T3, BAXR or FPV as to how they are finding tyre wear on their vehicles. I've owned my T3 for 2 years and in that time had to replace a whole set of tyres in the first year and are again in the second year looking at replacing the fronts. This due to uneven wear. I travel less than 10K kms a year and take extreme care with kerbs etc. and have a wheel alignment done every 6 month service.
It hasn't been in any accidents and my mechanic has made mention that the local Ford dealer here in the South Island, NZ, has recently seen a lot of Series 3 AU's XR and higher along with BA series XR and higher having similar uneven tyre wear.
What I would like to know is, are you guys experiencing similar problems or not. Would appreciate any comments/suggestions. I didnt mortgage myself to upkeep the tyres! Cheers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
falcongt4me said:
I would like to hear from anyone who has a T3, BAXR or FPV as to how they are finding tyre wear on their vehicles. I've owned my T3 for 2 years and in that time had to replace a whole set of tyres in the first year and are again in the second year looking at replacing the fronts. This due to uneven wear. I travel less than 10K kms a year and take extreme care with kerbs etc. and have a wheel alignment done every 6 month service.
It hasn't been in any accidents and my mechanic has made mention that the local Ford dealer here in the South Island, NZ, has recently seen a lot of Series 3 AU's XR and higher along with BA series XR and higher having similar uneven tyre wear.
What I would like to know is, are you guys experiencing similar problems or not. Would appreciate any comments/suggestions. I didnt mortgage myself to upkeep the tyres! Cheers.

It sounds like a similar problem i had which turned out to be low pressures.
Aliement was perfect, well it met the specs required.
I ran these tyres @40 psi.
put a set off ell cheapos NANKANGS ran them @ 50 lbs still a bit uneven put on another set running them @60 lbs fantastic they have done over 30ooo and just turned them on the rims and are good for another 30 now.
BUT i wouldnt run dunlops at that pressure but on the front AT LEAST 10 to 15 lbs higher than the rear
Ill more than likely get shot down saying what i have above BUT thats what i have found and it works for me.
Hope it helps :)

·
falcongt4me
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. The car initially ran the standard Dunlops but due to the cost here ($NZ700 per tyre) I wasn't putting them back on and instead am using a Goodyear Eagle F1, which is half the price. I've always ran tyre pressures at recommended settings and currently have them at 36psi to try and compensate without making the ride too hard. Its interesting RED250 that you run your pressures so high...but thanks for your comment.

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
I got 35000ks from the crappy dunlop sp9000 but they did wear evenly. I never let my tyres go below 40psi front or rear, as was said tyre pressure is the key to tyre wear..
PS.. never go above the recomended pressure for the tyre, it is maked on the sidewall...

·
Conan
124 Posts
I have done 36,000km with a BA XR6T. when I ran with the recommended tyre pressure the fronts started to run enevenly and the car would wander. I upped the pressure to 42psi front and rear at 15,000km and have not had an issue since - so ignore the reco pressure and exceed it. I reckon I will get 50,000km out of them. The GT-P has 7,000km of ultra hard driving at 45psi and are half worn, but the wear is still even.

·
Horse-Power Hungry
215 Posts
I seem to get excessive tyre wear at the rears, even though :priest:

·
falcongt4me
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But how do you's find the ride quality when going that high? I find 36psi hard let alone going higher but if that's what it takes....

·
Registered
344 Posts
falcongt4me said:
But how do you's find the ride quality when going that high? I find 36psi hard let alone going higher but if that's what it takes....
You got to be kidding, you drive a performance vehical and your complaining about ride quality at 36psi......

For the record, I never have less then 45psi all round in my car....... My tryes wear dead even front and rear.

·
falcongt4me
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL...U rekon i need to take a hard pill then..thanks for all your comments. I will try the harder pressure and see what happens.

U

·
0 Posts
falcongt4me said:
LOL...U rekon i need to take a hard pill then..thanks for all your comments. I will try the harder pressure and see what happens.
I'm using Nitrogen in my tyres cost 26 big ones for all 5 tyres and top ups are free as i check the tyres every week. Wear is very good after 16,000ks should get 30thou out of the Dunlops if i drive in a normal matter damm hard to do sometimes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
falcongt4me said:
We use Nitrogen as it only cost us 26 big ones for 5 tyres and top ups are free. Good tyre wear at 16,000ks should get over 30,000ks if i drive normal which is sometimes very hard.

·
SHAKEN, not stirred
115 Posts
about 26 thou out of the factory shod dunlops
about 20 thou on yokohamas
changed mags and wheels, about 7 thou travelled on these hardly any sign of wear.

Regards
Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
Paul V
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing