Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have an EF XR6 Wagon and I've recently picked up a set of 16X8" rims for it, Looking around for tyres at the moment and i'm really confused. Some tell me Directional tyres become noisy, some try and sell me this brand - some try to sell others. I'm leaning towards the Dunlop Bathurst 1000 - could some of you guys let me know what you run and how you find them.

Thanks

G

·
G'day xr6wgn. At the moment, I'm running Yoko A520's at the rear, and Pirelli P5000's at the front. The Yoko's were pretty good I thought, but tended to wear really quickly. The Pirellis are proving to be even better for both grip and wear. I'm surprised how well they are wearing, since going on reputation and a set I used to have on the EA, they are expected to wear out super fast. Pretty good value I reckon, ~$230 a piece, V rated. (225x50x16)

Cheers
Mike

·
Australian EF1 XR8 Member
38 Posts
I am running yoko 520's on the front of mine. They are damn noisy. I believe this is why yoko superseeded them with the 539. This is what I am going for next. I have been told they are a cross between the 509 (which my parents have on their ED XR6 wagon) and the 520. I have heard prices as low as $185 in 225/50/16......

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi,

I am running Bridgestone S02's. They are awesome in the wet, they are really really quiet and they are wearing really well.

I paid $380 each - but mine are slightly bigger than 16" (225/40/18's Z rated)

:)
Kelli S

G

·
Yoko A520s all round here. I've had mine for a quite a while and they seem to be wearing well considering the abuse they've copped. :)

They do make a fair bit of noise though as was mentioned. Wet weather grip has been excellent too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys
My AU XR6 was specced with the 17inch wheels
I have been using the Dunlop 9000 which are great tyres but I only get around 18000 ks out of them. At $390.00 dollars each thats not very ecconomical, I would also like some advice on what tyres to use.

G

·
The Dunlop Bathurst 1000 are very very soft (like there name sake Larry Perkins) & wear fast. I run Dunlop FM901'S 215/60R15 grip like shit on a shoe, the best. EB XR6 5sp.

G

·
Have had all the expensive tyres in the past.Got sick of wearing them out 10,000ks and more so paying for them.{Getting too old?}I have Bridgstone G grid o/k they are not quite as soft.But you can progresivly feel them loosing grip and 35,000 ks with good wheel alignment and well under $200 per tyre.Keep tyre presure's up helps too.

G

·
Hi all

Recently bought an Xh XR8 ute in december with yoki A520's which were geting a bit low. After shopping around i decided on some yoki s306's from Bob Janes. These tyres are great in the wet and have condiderably less noise than the 520's.
They were $210 each for 225x50x16.

G

·
I have run Bridgestone 710's (15") on my Fairmont, then upgraded to 17" Bridgestone SO2's.
so2's are the most awesome tyre - esp in the wet. They're a lil noisey - under very hard braking you would not talk to someone in the passenger seat. When they let go in the dry they will let you know first and drift perhaps a meter, then grip like hell.
They may be expensive, but how much is your car worth? Consider say $20000. Whats the use of a car of that value if you skimp on tyres - after all, what actually connects the car to the road?
Buy the very best you can afford, treat them well (allignment etc) and enjoy your car a hell of a lot better!
Now I have an AU II XR8 with Dunlop 9000's - way inferior to SO2's - not even close!

·
Ford Freak!
75 Posts
I've recxommended these tyres before to people. Had an AU Series 1 XR6 and got 38000km out of the Dunlop SP9000s, you've got to rotate / balance / wheel align every 5000km. And don't think I'm a pussy, I drove the thing hard. Replaced them with Falken ZE326 Ziex. These tyres in 235/45ZR17 cost me $186 each, better than the then $480 per tyre for Dunlops. I found them to be as good as the Dunlops in both wet and dry and also quieter. The tyres are not uni-directional so can do proper rotations of wheels. I now have them on all my cars as they're the best value for money tyre I've come across. Told a mate about them and he got a set of 225s on 16 " wheels for his AU XR8 and he's rapt with them. I think he went to Ozzy tyres and managed to get them for about $115 each.

Trust me, you can go the big names and pay a fortune, or give these a go. They're a shitload cheaper and they hang on to the road.

Over to you.

Regards,

Nicko

G

·
$480 sounds right for a Dunlop 9000. Am about to ditch them and do the S02 thing again - are more $ but you can go around corners so much faster/better/safer.
Why do people think cheap and long wearing = best?
I drive hard. Most driving in the XR8 (Nissan SX200, with SO2's incidentally is the 'town car') is 700 km in one hit. In NZ you can have rain, sun, snow, ice wet, dry etc all in one day over that distance. As I said before, people spend $20000 on a car, then skimp on the only thing that keeps the car on the ground (apart from gravity). Cheap may be good round town, but if you go that way, when you are out on the 'open ' road through the tight corners etc in the wet, you'll slow down and think "I wish I could do these corners better".
I've had the odd comodore behind me on a straight where he can't overtake but I can't get away - then come to a corner and watch the twitching in the rear view mirror!

G

·
Well heres my 2 bobs worth
G Grids VERY noisy !!! but "do the job"
Dunlops 901's ok but the noise drove me CRAZIE
Goodyear GT+4 Good but now im on Pirelli P5000 !!!!! Very radicial looking tyre , but look past that,ok.

Two days after fitting these to my el sed i wet and got a set fitted to the wifes v6 camry that did wheel spin on the slightest damp roads. Now Bot are totally different in wet and dry , and VERY little noise.
There you go.
Happy driving.

·
Australian XR8 Member
12 Posts
I have an EL XR8 (97) which I put 17" rims on. First tyres I ran we the Falken Zeiks. These were a wonderful tyre for the first 5000kms. For the next 15000km I got out of them they were noisy and not very grippy. I recently swiched to the Dunlop SP9000s ($350 a corner) and am very impressed. Cost a fair bit more, but if you are into performance (cornering/braking/wet) more so than fish tialing and burnouts (one can of couse still partake in these activities as well, it just costs you more), these are definately the tyre. Flattening it in the4 wet from the m4 toll gates on the weekend (raining) there was no slipping. On the Falkens the car would fishtail (which is a lot of fun). I have not done 5000kms on them yet so will see how they go after that, but so far so good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm running 16 x 8 rims and have Toyo directional Proxes FZ4's and have found them to be a good tyre, They have done 36,000k's now and still have heeps of meat left on them.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi PA
As from last Saturday I'm running the same Toyo FZ4's, you say youve done 36thou on your set that's what I was told as a minimum, also had a new set of Monroe GT Gas shocks fitted, handles real nice now.

thanks to all who gave their advice

Paul B

·
Registered
21 Posts
i've 16x8 Falken Ziex.... had Toyo Proxes FZ4s before them... the Toyos were much better, great under brakes. I find it very difficult to find the threshold before the ABS kicks in with the Falkens... and they don't feel overly surefooted in the wet either... but at $150 a pop i guess i shouldn't complain, but you definietly get waht you pay for.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Running 16 x 7 Yoko A539's. Excellent wet and dry weather grip. A little noisy on old rough surfaces but whisper quiet on new asphalt. Had them for 10K and wearing quite good. Running about 34 Lbs in each tyre.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts