Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time for new tyres on my AUII,

And I need some help in deciding what to get, before I go and burn off all the tread on my current rubber :)

Bauerepaires reocommend Goodyear Eagle NCT5 @ $178 each. (the tread pattern looks nice, with big grooves.

Local tyre joint recommend Yokies A539 @ $160

In my opionon the Yokies tread pattern doesnt look as good as the good years. The yokies have also a slightly smaller tread depth.

I didnt bother with Bob Jane, ive lost my confidence in them.

BOTH tyres look much better than the monza's i have now.

Any recommendation between the two?

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Buddy, buddy, buddy...
Have you looked at the Pirelli P6000? Damn good.

On the other hand I have always had good service from Beaurepaires - the road damage insurance has paid itself off every time for me..... :wink2:

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Yep I'd say check out the Pirellis. I've got P5000's and loving them. Better grip than my Yoko A520's, and wearing better as well.

·
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh ok, Thanks guys. I will have to check to see if they make them in 215/60x16 form first!
I wouldnt want to go less than 215/60 for ride quality.

Stupid me, I only brought 16 inch rims so i could keep my old monza's (cos they hadn't worn much) - 4 months later and they are f#%ked

Im kicking myself now, i wish i had brought 17's and new tyres at the same time!!

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Jaytyn,

i'm wearing Yoko A539's on my car. I found them pretty good. (well no real good at the moment me got a puncture on the left rear wheel). But if it had air they're real good, grip wise and tyre noise. Only time will tell about tyre wear though. Hehehe i guess it comes down to how much circle work you do. :p :p

T

·
0 Posts
jayton
before you splash out, ring your insurance company, for the rating of tyre for the car.
WHY...before the scum knicked my wifes tickford, the tyre dealer insisted we replace with z rating tyres $165 each, because the car was based on a shell series race car, output performance etc. if you have a prang, and you dont have the proper tyres, your stuffed.

my pig (XR) got away with standard goodyear tyres as used by the cops, 225/60/16 specials, $130 each.

not saying you use what I use, but check with insurance first, if yours is tickford enhanced.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Doc, I take it if our cars are stock we shouldn't have anything to worry about. But yeah i didn't think about that, the insurance company might not cover you if you have the wrong tyre.

Jaytyn,
What tyres did you end up getting???

·
EB Fairmont Owner
191 Posts
I've got Bridgestone G Grids on mine - they are great in the wet especially and have a sweet looking tread pattern.

Pretty cheap now - i got mine for $135 each that was almost a year ago.

Jase

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
TickfordEB said:
Pretty cheap now - i got mine for $135 each that was almost a year ago.
What size boots Jase??

·
Nacho Nacho Man!
3,514 Posts
Currently loving the Dunlops on the new XR (S9000s?, 235/45??/17), and was quite happy with the Dunlop Le Mans I had on the old girl (225/60/16), after being convinved they were a better buy than the Falken Zieks.

·
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im a bit strapped for cash at the moment so I havent been able to afford new tyres, but should be getting them soon.

I am still deciding on the NCT5 Goodyears or the Yokies A539!.
Bloody tough decision just by looking at the treads....

My Monzas are well and truley ****ed.. Only 25,000kms and all 4 are fubar. Heap of **** tyre... They spin out and will not brake very well in the wet (Because they are so worn! :) )

I want a tyre with lots of tread, and will last...

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
DONUT KING said:
Don't we all... I know my rears are getting awful worn from my Mt Panorama (and everywhere else in bathurst) cruises ;)
Cruises??... Don't you mean great escapes from security and the long am of the law??... ;) ;)

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Tyres

Damm those rubber things, If I had any say in design they would be made of metal spikes:D

My lovely Dunlops http://www.stuckey.com.au/street.htm are great in the dry, but let them cool down and the road a bit wet, I can do 360's by just pushing the arse end around!!:fmad:

But seriously, in the dry they are the best damm tyre out, well they should be at $660.00 a peice

·
BA XR6T
111 Posts
Jaytyn,

If it's any help, the AU XR6 which Ford ran in Targa Tasmania this year ran Yoko' A539's:thumbup:

There's got to be a message in that somewhere:rolleyes:

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I'll stand by my first recommendation of Pirellis (6000 or better). Good tread life and excellent performance.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Venom S said:
Currently loving the Dunlops on the new XR (S9000s?, 235/45??/17), and was quite happy with the Dunlop Le Mans I had on the old girl (225/60/16), after being convinved they were a better buy than the Falken Zieks.
They are a good tyre them Dunlops, Venom S. That's whats on the Ghia. Excellent grip all round I reckon. The G's you can generate going around corners is madness, but that could be also attributed to by the stiff Tickford suspension. ;)
One thing though, I'm scared about tyre replacement time as the Bot down at Bob Jane said it'd be about $560 or so each and went on to say that because they're factory fitment tyres on the Tickfords they were automaticaly 50-60 bucks dearer than other makes/models of tyre,even other Dunlops.
Yeh Doc, I also was told somewhere along the line that I had to fit Z rated tyres to be right insurance wise also. Mind you, tyres are the last thing I'd be skimping on anyway so Z's it is.

Rastus.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
15 Participants
HSE2
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing