all tyres are 215/60R15

Falken 512 - $129
Falken 326 - $125
Yokahoma A306 - $129
Yokahoma A539 - $141
Hankook 406 - $118
Hankook 402 - $112
Pirelli P6000 - $140

The A539 and P6000 are probably a bit more than I wanted to spend, having said this what would you guys recommend for my XR6 ? Bearing in mind of course that I don't race it or anything like that.

Thanks,
Brett

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Well I am lucky my wife loves yokohama tyres so spending 140 a tyre on yoko A539 was a done deal, and they are great :0)

Jason

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
you really cant go wrong with falken or the yoko's. Although I hear Hankooks are starting to up their quality. I would say for cost in mind and not race, go the Hankooks. They seem to have a reliable name, so far!

·
LET EM' RIPPP
1,819 Posts
I have the YoKo 306 on the front and I am not too happy with them. Both myself and a mate (VL) went from Dunlop to these and noticed a decent drop in traction both straight line braking, as well as corners.
On the other hand, the 539 are meant to be good, but I guess you pay for them.

After some convincing from a friend I decided to give some re-moulds a try on the rear. I would normally never touch the things. They are by far the best gripping rubber I have ever had on the car. I'm just waiting to see if they fall apart now, but its a life time warranty so I guess thats ok.

Simon

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Easy choice. Yoko 539's or the Pirelli 6000's.

I'm afraid they are the most expensive but I have had both and loved them. If I had to choose I'd go with the Pirelli 6000's. You might also want to look for the Pirelli Dragos (5000's I think). They are also excellent and a little cheaper if I remember right.

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Looked into a bridgestone? something like a g2 or g3 or a turanza. excellent properties for a cop tyre.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
don't get the Pirelli P6000 i had them and they didn't last me 6 months

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
hehe. If you treated them like you did in your avatar Im not suprised!:wnc:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
nah mate that's a mates car at supernats LOL

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
ok far enough. I'll let you off this time! :hehe:

·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts
Maybe try for a 225/55/15 They are a rare tyre but out there, or 225/60/15.
If they still made the A509 I would be getting them, But the Yokies have gone down hill a little. I too have heard the Hankooks are up there, But it is all up to you, Would you spend the extra couple of dollars to save your's and your friends/families lives in an emergency. Price should really never come into making choices like this.

·
Ride like the Wind
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, since I am short on money, and two tyres are becoming fairly bald and the rain has become more frequent I am going to try the Hankook 406's. I will let you know how I go.

Thanks for the replies.
Brett

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
sounds like a good choice! keep us in touch!

·
Ride like the Wind
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, got them fitted today. Ended up being $112 a tyre.
First thing I noticed was that they seem a bit quieter in the cabin, however tyre pressures were extremely low when I took it in, so this may be a factor in that.
Tread Pattern looks relatively good too.
The people at JAX Capalaba were very helpful and friendly, and I got a large booklet of discounts.
I'll let you know how they are going over time.

Thanks,
Brett

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm sorry you didn't go with the A539's. The price difference is marginal. I have got over 30,000 km out of my set. That is a record. I only ever got 20,000 km out of A509's, and they wore better than some cheaper tyres I had the misfortune to try in the quest for tyre longevity.

The A539's have won a few magazine tyre competions as well.

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Barefoot - well done on your purchase. Good to see your happy! Can you post pics of the tread pattern and side wall so we know what they look like?

$112, is a very good price. Let us know if you come up with any hassles!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts