all tyres are 215/60R15

Falken 512 - $129
Falken 326 - $125
Yokahoma A306 - $129
Yokahoma A539 - $141
Hankook 406 - $118
Hankook 402 - $112
Pirelli P6000 - $140

The A539 and P6000 are probably a bit more than I wanted to spend, having said this what would you guys recommend for my XR6 ? Bearing in mind of course that I don't race it or anything like that.

Thanks,
Brett

#3 ·
you really cant go wrong with falken or the yoko's. Although I hear Hankooks are starting to up their quality. I would say for cost in mind and not race, go the Hankooks. They seem to have a reliable name, so far!

#4 ·
I have the YoKo 306 on the front and I am not too happy with them. Both myself and a mate (VL) went from Dunlop to these and noticed a decent drop in traction both straight line braking, as well as corners.
On the other hand, the 539 are meant to be good, but I guess you pay for them.

After some convincing from a friend I decided to give some re-moulds a try on the rear. I would normally never touch the things. They are by far the best gripping rubber I have ever had on the car. I'm just waiting to see if they fall apart now, but its a life time warranty so I guess thats ok.

Simon

#5 ·
Easy choice. Yoko 539's or the Pirelli 6000's.

I'm afraid they are the most expensive but I have had both and loved them. If I had to choose I'd go with the Pirelli 6000's. You might also want to look for the Pirelli Dragos (5000's I think). They are also excellent and a little cheaper if I remember right.

#7 ·
don't get the Pirelli P6000 i had them and they didn't last me 6 months

#9 ·
nah mate that's a mates car at supernats LOL

#13 ·
Maybe try for a 225/55/15 They are a rare tyre but out there, or 225/60/15.
If they still made the A509 I would be getting them, But the Yokies have gone down hill a little. I too have heard the Hankooks are up there, But it is all up to you, Would you spend the extra couple of dollars to save your's and your friends/families lives in an emergency. Price should really never come into making choices like this.

#17 ·
ok, got them fitted today. Ended up being $112 a tyre.
First thing I noticed was that they seem a bit quieter in the cabin, however tyre pressures were extremely low when I took it in, so this may be a factor in that.
Tread Pattern looks relatively good too.
The people at JAX Capalaba were very helpful and friendly, and I got a large booklet of discounts.
I'll let you know how they are going over time.

Thanks,
Brett

#18 ·
I'm sorry you didn't go with the A539's. The price difference is marginal. I have got over 30,000 km out of my set. That is a record. I only ever got 20,000 km out of A509's, and they wore better than some cheaper tyres I had the misfortune to try in the quest for tyre longevity.

The A539's have won a few magazine tyre competions as well.

#19 ·
Barefoot - well done on your purchase. Good to see your happy! Can you post pics of the tread pattern and side wall so we know what they look like?

$112, is a very good price. Let us know if you come up with any hassles!

#22 ·
blueoval said:
sorry to hijack this thread, but can anyone recommend any decent 17in tyre in a 235/45/17?
Hi i've got the standard factory set on mine and they are great in all weather Dunlop SP 3000A, i'll soon be up grading to a set of 18's (spyder) from speedy wheels and a matching pair of Eagle F1 GS D3's 245/40 fronts & 265/35 rears both can be seen on http://www.beaurepaires.com.au

It just depends on your budget but the Dunlops are realy good. Hoped this has helped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.