Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor Trend

One of six new Ford and Lincoln-Mercury cars that will launch in 2004, the Ford Focus will receive design and engineering improvements for the 2005 model year. While Europe receives a truly all-new Focus based on the global C1 platform shared with the Mazda 3 and Volvo S40/V50, North America will instead have an evolved current-generation car. The American-market Focus will be offered in four unique body styles carrying simpler model and trim designations, including a three-door hatchback (ZX3), a four-door sedan (ZX4), a five-door hatchback (ZX5), and a station wagon (ZXW). New for 2005 is a Focus ZX4 ST performance sedan (shown), that marries chassis components from Ford of Europe's Focus ST170 and the SVT Focus with a 2.3-liter/151-horsepower Duratec engine, which boasts 30 percent cleaner emissions than the 2004 models. Focus receives a front-end treatment with styling cues taken from the Ford's soon-to-be-unveiled flagship sedan, the Five Hundred. (It also reminds of the European Mondeo.) Other changes include an all-new interior, designed to be clean and modern looking, with four different color themes and plenty of functional storage.

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
Thanks for the news. :thup:

I'm a little surprised that the SVT "performance" sedan is coming out with 120kwkw vs the 127kw of the ST170. Especially as it's got .3lt more than the current ST170.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
2,922 Posts
I think the 2.3L is the low emission engine, required in some states of the U.S.?

I believe it lacks a bit of horsepower but more than makes up for it in torque, from memory.

The jury is out on the styling, could go either way, need some more angles to decide!

Cheers... Tim!

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Automotive News

2005 Ford Focus

Type of Vehicle: 3-door hatchback ZX3, 4-door sedan ZX4, 5-door hatchback ZX5, station wagon ZXW.
Trim series: S, SE, SES; also available is a ZX4 ST performance sedan
Engines and power: 136 hp @ 6,000 rpm for 2.0-liter DOHC 4-cylinder; 151 hp @ 5,750 rpm for 2.3-liter DOHC 4-cylinder
Torque: 132 lb.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm for 2.0-liter; 154 lb.-ft. for 2.3-liter
Length: 168.5 inches for 3-door and 5-door; 175.2 inches for sedan; 178.4 inches for wagon
Width: 66.9 inches
Height: 56.3 inches
Wheelbase: 103.0 inches
What the automaker says: "Focus chief engineer John Sidelko's priority for 2005 was to add more refinement to areas that customers can see and make a bold statement in places they feel and hear -- particularly in the "stop and go" departments.

·
Focus user
287 Posts
kinda starting to look subaru libertyish....kinda, from that angle anyways. doens't look to bad...i prefer the current one though.

·
2,922 Posts
Oh nice. How on earth are we going to be able to drive that?? They put the steering wheel on the wrong side, sheesh! ;)

Thanks for the pics and info!

Tim!

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
See what happens when you get American hands on a Euro car? Looks more like a Japanese or Korean upmarket car to me. Reminds somewhat of a Daewoo Nubira with those wheel covers. I'm out though, until I see more pics, more non-publicity pics. It has a good theme but looks a little too contrived. Interior isn't too bad, but I guess I'm just too much a fan of the original, chic and sexy Euro body and interior. I always liked the Focus coz it was different and now it's conforming...

... what's more I just realised it has the big US bumpers, doesn't help making it look compact and trim. If they didn't have to design the US safety bumpers then it'd be able to look a little less frumpy around the midline I guess. I always liked the nugget Euro Focus, thick around the bottom. If there's a car that the Renault Megan should be up against (heard the "I like big butts" coimmercial?) it's the current Euro Focus. What a gorgeous rear end.

·
Focus user
287 Posts
that renault is one of the ugliest damned cars i've ever laid eyes on. surely they can't think putting that song on the ad would actually make people like the stupid rear end. and i thought renault was on a good thing there for a while.....

·
2,922 Posts
Ah, that Megano rear end has been around a little while, it's another one of those sell the ones that didn't sell in Europe campaign here.

Their newer cars are alot sharper, but I still think their best looking car ever was the one that dominated British Touring Car Racing in the late 90's, the previous Laguna.

:wnc:

Are they hubcaps on the black ZX4 pictured? Surely the "performance" model would at least come with alloys of some sort! They do look like trims in the picture... remind me of Nissan Pulsar hubcaps.

Cheers...... Tim

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
yeah they said they're simplifying the range down to 4 models, ZX3/ZX5 HAtch, ZX4 sedan and ZXW Wagon. So my guess is it'll be a ZX4 and a ZX4 ST as the 2 sedan models, one like a CL and the other like a Zetec cum ST170 mix. Not quite the full blown ST but better than the Zetec 2.0L

·
2,922 Posts
I don't think it said that the range is limited to ZX models, only that it included it? The following quote just lists the four diff body styles, and the associated ZX version of the body style:

"The American-market Focus will be offered in four unique body styles carrying simpler model and trim designations, including a three-door hatchback (ZX3), a four-door sedan (ZX4), a five-door hatchback (ZX5), and a station wagon (ZXW)."

Those listed are the four body styles, but I think there are also different trim levels in the body styles, including those below the ZX range, to quote:

"Trim series: S, SE, SES; also available is a ZX4 ST performance sedan"

I don't think the ZX series will be the only model available.... I could be wrong, sort of confusing, but it has those other trims listed. I understand CL, LX, et al no longer exist.

Any thoughts?

Tim!

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
Each to his own I guess. I personally love the Mk I/II Focus interior, it's awesome because it's different. Still practical and looks upmarket personally, not the normal Jap bland style you see everywhere these days. Fits the car well.

·
Focus lover
34 Posts
I didn't think the other interior was too bad, but the thing i didn't like was the fact that it felt "cheap" like the Dodge Neon

·
Registered stingy user
208 Posts
Exterior looks quite good. Add some mods and I reckon it will scrub up quite nicely. As for the intrior ?? hmmm, are they going for less is more there ? I'm not sure. Looks very plain. Finish is to me seems too rectangular, too many corners for my liking............................... Nup gazed @ it for 15 secs, I think a corolla has nicer interior. note sig. my .02

1 - 17 of 17 Posts