Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been browsing through MM & FF mag and it states that they are planning a new car currently called Fairlaine, based on the successfull Australian Falcon. It will fit between Taurus and Crown Victoria.For.. 2004.
Also says that the Mustang may get the new 3Ltr V6 and the 4Ltr V8 from Jaguar..for 2003

·
ex-Ford owner
519 Posts
Interesting, and I'm sure the American buying public would love to get back into a rear wheel drive set-up again.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Will ford aus be exporting the chassis or will they build them over there?
its about time they realised that a ford built in australia is the best built ford anywhere.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
ebxr8240 said:
Just been browsing through MM & FF mag and it states that they are planning a new car currently called Fairlaine, based on the successfull Australian Falcon. It will fit between Taurus and Crown Victoria.For.. 2004.
Also says that the Mustang may get the new 3Ltr V6 and the 4Ltr V8 from Jaguar..for 2003
Hmmm the 2003 Mustang looks great from some of the sketch's i've seen but 3Ltr and 4Ltr engines for a mustang? It should at least have the 4.6L and 5.4L V8's.
Don't tell me where goin to have a down on cubes mustang.
:( :( :(

Geez we need a born again 351 V8 4V.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Says whole new car.I hope we can export!
Cheez we need some good news on that front..What I'm thinking is that hopefully it will make Falcon Aust a better car.Parts from a wider pool.Yes good ol rear wheel drive,more expensive to build, heaps better to drive.

The 4 Ltr is supercharged.??

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I doubt we will be exporting them, it will probably be more like what Toyota does with the Camry. Basically the same car built in the local country with minor things like head/tail lights, grills, suspension, interior ect differing. Perhaps even in this case the minor panels too.

It will be good for us cause we'll have access to all the aftermarket goodies that the yanks develop :D:D

·
Evil Holden Overlord
920 Posts
Falcon is in the same boat Commodore is in - fuel tank position will not meet current US design standards. It has to be located ahead of the rear axle ...

·
ST170ish
610 Posts
Hmmmmmmm,Looks like the yanks need some aussie utes(at least the fuel tank is OK)

·
Ford Europe Wannabe
754 Posts
this is a quote taken from US magazine "Popular Mechanics" website. It has been up there for a while now...

"2003 Ford Rwd Midsize Sedan"

"Don't be surprised to see the Ford Motor Co. build a rear-wheel-drive midsize sedan for Ford and Mercury lineups. The opportunity for success is there in the medium-priced, midsize market, a region now populated exclusively by front-wheel-drive cars like Accord, Camry and Ford's own Taurus and Sable duo. Ford insiders say a whole new chassis will have to be built for such a car since the Lincoln LS/Jaguar S-Type/Ford Thunderbird chassis costs too much to make the new cars sell at affordable prices in that market. The new cars would fall between the Crown Victoria and Taurus in size—a fairly narrow niche."

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Hobbes said:
Falcon is in the same boat Commodore is in - fuel tank position will not meet current US design standards. It has to be located ahead of the rear axle ...
I dont understand this fuel tank business, because the Mustang has its fuel tank mounted between the bumper and axle like the Falcon/Commodore. The only difference is that it isnt offset to one side, its mounted in the middle.

Or are the fuel tank rules different for sedans and coupes over there?

From what I understand either the AV Falcon or the model after that will have a redesigned fuel tank anyway....

·
Ford Member
103 Posts
If the RWD Ford sedan gets the go-ahead, it will probably be produced in the US. If will NOT, however, be offered for the 2003 model year, as the magazine reported. The earliest it could possibly see production would be 2005. All information provided in this report was speculation.

The "Jaguar" V8 is already being used in the US in the Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird.

While Ford may sell a version in Australia, the US version will most likely not be imported from Australia. It will, if approved, share more with the next Ford Mustang than with any existing products.

·
Australian BA XR6 Falcon
1,249 Posts
Martin said:

I dont understand this fuel tank business, because the Mustang has its fuel tank mounted between the bumper and axle like the Falcon/Commodore. The only difference is that it isnt offset to one side, its mounted in the middle.

Or are the fuel tank rules different for sedans and coupes over there?

From what I understand either the AV Falcon or the model after that will have a redesigned fuel tank anyway....
From the US Cop Cars thread, it appears if the tank is between the bumper and axle, the tank itself can't form the boot floor (as it does in the Falcon) but a floor could be placed over the tank so if it explodes, the resulting fire doesn't enter the boot space.

Of course in the Falcons case, the fuel tank could be redesigned to sit lower, the floor put in and the spare tyre relocated off to the side.

Kieron

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This fuel thing is a minor issue,but the current cars have plastic [xlpe] tanks still don't they? The bottom of the boot is steel.The wagon maybe different.

·
Australian BA XR6 Falcon
1,249 Posts
ebxr8240 said:
This fuel thing is a minor issue,but the current cars have plastic [xlpe] tanks still don't they? The bottom of the boot is steel.The wagon maybe different.
Actually, yes your right, just checked in my AU this morning, the
floor is definatly not the fuel tank. The EA wagon I have uses a 'plug in' style fuel tank and a piece of wooden board sits over it to form the wagon floor, i'd assume the AU is still the same.

Kieron

·
Registered
19 Posts
As noted on another forum here, Ford has cancelled plans for a Fairlane.

Had the car been built, it would have used a stretched version of the 2004/2005 Mustang platform, which itself should be a simplified version of the Lincoln LS platform.

In the U.S., there is really not much of a market for cars larger than a Taurus. People who want bigger vehicles in the U.S. prefer SUV's.

Car enthusiasts and those nostalgic for 1960's and 1970's cars would love to see a return of the moderately priced, mid sized RWD sedan. However, most Americans are very happy with FWD.

·
My name is Forrest....
465 Posts
The fuel tank in an AU is mounted using two hook straps, and is not a structural part of the boot floor. The AU fuel tank will not meet US emission regulations as its constuction does not restrict Hydrocarbon emissions as well as the VT tank (due to different manufacturing processes).

For the AV the fuel was changing to a Z or saddle bag type tank under the rear passenger seat, and also going to mulit layer technology which would then meet US regulations.

For all those concerned about fires, a plastic tank is much safer than a steel tank.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep

Mr Jucy said:
I think the Seppos would love the Falcon they are of a far higher quality then the crap they make.
Spot on compare a F150 to a - say Toyota landcruser / Nissan Patrol. Or there smaller bretherin..
The 150 in constrution the body feels real loose,gaps through door jams etc.Still good vehicle, but the sepo's are used the that sort of vehicle.You would think that the number that is made [outsell Corolla?] though they would be better, actually the most sold car in the states. tmk. But they hardly know what they are missing. A rear wheel drive compact would NOT be anything like a 1970's type car either. How many fwd in nascar or f1,Indi ? NON!
Do BMW or M.B make fwd on there mide sized cars No_Only the beancounters/ would prefere fwd.[Or non drivers,a to b type drivers.]fwd is built to a price mainly not for driving quality..I think in the old group a's the bmw or rwd cars were given 100 kgs for being just that!for they are better..Then lets not forget 4wd or awd better again!!
The fuel tank issue is easy to fix, it's hardly an issue with all the things manufacterers have to conform with these days!! i m o

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
I think Ford US should import 1000 falcons/Fairlanes as a test to see how they sell and what people think. If they don't sell well no big loss, if they sell well, then tool up to make them over there and plan for RWD cars.

It will give Ford a chance to do some cheap heritage acknoledgement which seems to be all the rage these days.. Falcon, Fairlane, LTD...

Im guessing the new 4.0 will be able to meet US regs? the 5.4 could be used and just pass the costs on to the consumers besides you can limit the model run so ~250 5.4L V8's will hardly blow the CAFE ratings.

If it fails flog off the rest of the LHD to the middle east which is what every australian maker seems to do these days.

Export a handfull to the Uk, export a handfull to the US, export a small shipment to the middle east and you have yourself a car of international quality and some international credability.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts