Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"A typical XR8 owner has a good understanding of the technical merit of their car," says Passenger Vehicle Marketing Manager, Stephen Kruk. "When you combine the 220kW 5.0 litre V8 with the dynamics of the Falcon chassis and a very sophisticated IRS system you've got a pretty impressive piece of machinery."

Uprated and Upmarket

All 220kW engines are hand built by Tickford staff before being fitted into the engine bay of the XR8.

The XR8 engine produces 220kW of power at 5250rpm and 435Nm of torque at 4000rpm. The additional 20kW comes from modifications to the cylinder head, a larger throttle body, matched ported inlet manifold and a revised camshaft.

"The 220kW XR8 is a unique beast," says Tickford Managing Director, David Flint. "The fact that every customer can lift the bonnet and see an engine builder's signature on the side of the rocker cover/block makes them a member of a pretty elite group of performance car owners."

T

·
0 Posts
HSE2 said:

The XR8 engine produces 220kW of power at 5250rpm and 435Nm of torque at 4000rpm. The additional 20kW comes from modifications to the cylinder head, a larger throttle body, matched ported inlet manifold and a revised camshaft.

"The 220kW XR8 is a unique beast,"
that is a misleading statement if I have ever read one. 220kw at 5250rpm..... because at that range (5250) is where the peak torque and horsepower cross, from there on it's all down hill. you start to lose power. as I've said before, all that for 20kw. not worth it.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Re: Re: Under bonnet image boost for XR8

THE DOCTOR said:

that is a misleading statement if I have ever read one. 220kw at 5250rpm..... because at that range (5250) is where the peak torque and horsepower cross, from there on it's all down hill. you start to lose power. as I've said before, all that for 20kw. not worth it.
But DOC, peak power (kW) is always higher than the peak torque range. The way I understand it is, its the torque that gets you moving (which is why its lower in the rev range), while its the power that keeps you moving as speed increases, does that make sense, I hope so, coz I've confused myself now...:confused: :D

T

·
0 Posts
what I should of said was, at that point (5250) it's party over, power, torque, horsepower, whatever, it's all down hill, the only thing keeping you going at the peak rev (5250) is the power that got you there. for the extra money you pay for 20kw it's not worth it. the 200kw will give you the same rush only 2 seconds later than the 220kw. $3000 or whatever for 2 seconds. I'm not sold.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
There is no price rise for the 220kW XR8 is there??? Aussie Pete....

$3,000 for 2 seconds is a bargain DOC..

T

·
0 Posts
I'm not talking in 1/4 mile terms, I'm talking overall in the hp range.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Yes right! Are they running the same final drive ratio?They often cheat allttle and put a lower ratio[higher numericaly] in to make a real difference.What are the high spec i.r.s ratio's now 3;7 ????

·
Australian AUII XR8 Member
153 Posts
Yes right! Are they running the same final drive ratio?They often cheat allttle and put a lower ratio[higher numericaly] in to make a real difference.What are the high spec i.r.s ratio's now 3;7 ????
Final Drive is 3.45

There was no change in price between the 200KW & 220KW versions of the XR8, although there has been a change in some of the standard inclusions.

e.g.
Sound system is now Single CD (was 6 stcker in dash ?)
Spare is now a steel wheel rather than alloy.

I am happy to forego the alloy spare for the 220 KW motor. One less thing to pinch, and with a unidirectional tyre on the alloy spare you just hope you don't have a flat on the wrong side of the car.

P.S. my car has now been completed by Tickford and is waiting delivery to Dealer. Another week or so and I should have my bum in it. :D :D

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
XR8220 said:
P.S. my car has now been completed by Tickford and is waiting delivery to Dealer. Another week or so and I should have my bum in it. :D :D
You must be feeling like Big Kev at the moment! Very Excited!! Man do I wish I was in your shoes!!.. :D

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: Under bonnet image boost for XR8

THE DOCTOR said:

Well for me it is the 430nm @ 4000 rpm that tells the story. Kw are a maths equation based off the torque at points in the rev range. The torque figure tells me what I want to know. I can never understand why people get carried away with the power rating. By itself it means nothing and even with the torque figure it seems to confuse people

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
I think what really tells the story is the average torque/hp figures or as they say - the area under the curves.

For a good street car you've got to have a curve that starts strong low in the rev range and climbs high till redline. I believe thats something they improved on with these new 220 engines. The proof will be in reading in Motor mag I guess. Or in the driving as a couple of our lucky members will soon attest...

·
Australian Falcon Futura Classic Member
32 Posts
How the heel do you do those segments of other peoples post?

Anyway Doc you should know that it is always going to be down hill after you reach peak power, it isn't called that for any other reason than it is the most you can have.
To be honest the 220kw motor is very much a better engine than the 200kw version. The jump from 185kw to the 200kw motor would have been very noticable in general driving unless you actually had a bit of competition at the traffic lights and had to show the guy that your car is quicker.
Whoever wrote that power is a derivative of torque is right, I can't remember the formula ( I am sure my uni lecture just kringed). But the most import figure for me is kW/kg because that will sit you back in your seat quicker than anything else you will read.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
sporto said:
How the heel do you do those segments of other peoples post?
Little purple button on the bottom of each post that says "quote" sporto.. You can then edit the portion you want to quote from there.. :D

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
XR8220 said:
You'll be getting yours before me now..... :(

·
Australian Falcon Futura Classic Member
32 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Fordman, who knows what would go on around us if it wasn't pointed out.
Now for you lucky fellas that are getting into the 220kw XR8's I expect to see photo's of the vehicles from Aussie Pete and XR8220, especially an underhood shot of the almighty grunter.
So what colours did we end up choosing for the vehicles, and are they still available in a manual.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
anakha said:
I think what really tells the story is the average torque/hp figures or as they say - the area under the curves.

For a good street car you've got to have a curve that starts strong low in the rev range and climbs high till redline. I believe thats something they improved on with these new 220 engines. The proof will be in reading in Motor mag I guess. Or in the driving as a couple of our lucky members will soon attest...
Seeing the chart before you drive should give you a good idea of what you are in for. I agree anakha

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
LOL......looks the same as mine 185kw:D :D

ok maybe the coolant is cleaner....:nuts:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts