Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Wannabe mechanic :)
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure most of you are aware that the E-series cars (at least the EA) suffer greatly from understeer... often around hairpin bends, I will be going almost perfectly straight, even though the steering wheel wont turn around any further :p. This really sucks, because the speedo just drops and drops and drops, and you end up around the other side of the hairpin doing about 20km/h.

Just wondering, what would I need to change in order to influence oversteer, so that I could keep more power going to the ground, and actually turn around the corner, thus maintaining a higher speed? At the moment, anything greater than a sharp 60 degree turn will cause the EA to bog down something fierce.. I was racing a Holden V8 ute up the hill, pretty much kept up, till we hit a tight corner. I bogged down, with the auto sitting in the wrong gear, while his car just HAULED away.. very depressing :p

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
lowered springs and set of shocks helped my handling heaps... going round tight corners at 60 kays and it just stays flat throughout... alot better than before!!! maybe this might help???

·
Serving Defect #3
1,108 Posts
Bigger Swaybars can also help, Whiteline have adjustables which allow you to set the car up for understeer or oversteer. Keep in mind that all road cars are setup for understeer as it is safer and more forgiving than an oversteering setup.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yep, swaybars can play a big role.

By making my rear swaybar stiffer I can introduce heaps of oversteer, but also makes the car alot more dangerous and slower around corners.

Your best bet is better shocks, these will make your car sit much flatter around corners and will reduce alot of the understeer.

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
My car used to understeer like a pig, but it was due to the stock 15" wheels with retread tyres, as well as stock suspension. Since the new springs/shocks/wheels/tyres I have never even got tyre squeal around corners.

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
fordfan351 said:
Keep in mind that all road cars are setup for understeer as it is safer and more forgiving than an oversteering setup.
Oversteer is a hell of a lot more fun though! (if you have a few clues to what your doing).

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Just beat me to the point NZ. Understeer isn't a factor when your oversteering :p

Donno

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Simple, get a LWB!

·
96 EF Futura
2,494 Posts
You will find if you do all of the above, and have the camber set to a more negative position ( this will happen anyway when you lower it ) you will reduce understeer quite significantly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts