Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah,

Found out this problem with my baby on saturday when i got a new drive belt installed.As luck had it the mechanics discovered that my harmonic balancer is wobbling like buggery. So this means that EF_Guy's car will be off the road temporary. :( :( :( :(
And a bad bill for a uni student.

I'm just hoping that the problem will be solved with a new balancer, hope i havn't buggered my bottom end. :eek: :eek:

I'll let you guys know on how it goes.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Hope all goes well mate.

I've also had several problems with my car, first the counter-balance shaft shat itself, so replaced that, replaced cam belt, water pump all in the one service which cost me just over 700 bucks, now I disovered a split on the top of the radiator, got that replaced, new topend and new thermostat, just over 240 bucks. Too much money to be spending on a car thats done almost 160,000K's and is only worth 12grand if I'm lucky. In a way I'm hoping it'll let go in a big way so that I'll have an exuse to get a 220KW XR8:cool: or even better the limited XR8:evil: (don't think a 24yr old will get decent insurance on a cars like this??) , the only thing is I'm trying to save for an AV XR/TE:nuts:

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah talking to a taxi driver a while back he mentioned that harmonic balancer needs to be changed and my baby has done 192k, so it's within the norm.
They gotta pull the radiator and fan assy of to get to it, so theres new coolant again :rolleyes:. Hopefully they can cure the pipe leaks that are around.

The car has been really good, very strong car and solid performance. Keeps up with Holden 5.0L so i'm happy. :D :D :D

I'm assuming it's the bearings of the balancer thats stuffed, i can't imagine the actual harmonic balancer goin. I'm not sure technically, anyone know further about this matter????

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yippppppeeeeeee
Well my baby is back, meaner and cleaner than ever. A new harmonic balancer was put in and so far no dramas. At certain rpm's i can feel it's slightly smoother.

Got a good deal on the work too so that was a bonus.

While i was at the mechanics i had a look at a XH XR6, the EF equivelant ute. Seems it has a better intake tube than the stock one. The neck of the tube is bigger and the mouth is opened up much more, hmm might consider getting it if the cost is under $80 compared to the Aunger setup, i'm still deciding and i have to spend a day of cold air investigating.

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
EF, where is the harmonic balancer, and what does it do?

How much did the repair bill set you back?

·
Administrator
5,109 Posts
Unless they have changed recently then it is just part of the front crankshaft pulley.They have two parts separated by a rubber insert which gets oil on the rubber and after a quite a few K's the rubber swells and perishes and the two bits start to part company. Not a big job to replace ,usually need a puller.( Pritesh )
LOL

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jaytyn,

What BBF said was dead right, couldn't put it better myself, the cost for the replacement was $200. Electric fans and radiator had to come off to yank the pully out.

If it wasn't for the rubber bit in the middle the harmonic balancer would be ok, but over time the rubber perishes.

T

·
0 Posts
speaking of pritesh where is the little flogger. probably cruising in his lada somewhere.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
About Pritesh, seems he has moments of going under cover. Seems he never posts regularly. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Australian xr8 Member
82 Posts
They have had alot of fog over there lately.Three days nearly all day.Probably foged [flogged] under.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts