Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
ED Fairmont Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Im having a BIG problem with my ED Fairmont. It willl not start! The more I try to start it, the worse it gets. Yesterday morning when i tried to start it for the first time, t treied to turn over a cuple of times, the cut out and i heard a 'tack, tack, tack' noise. The more I tried, the less it would turn and all Id get is the tack, tack, tack noise. Later in the day I tried it again and now Nothing happens at all when I turn the key. After turning the key, I dont hear the fuel pump activate, I just hear a constant low, whirring noise instead. Inside the clock onthe dash has gotten dimmer, and dimmer and now doesnt light up when the key is on ACC. Whatever the problem is it seems to be draining battery power. Indicators/hazard lights do not work properly, the 'ticking' u hear when theyre engaged is really fast.

I don't think its the fuel pump, Ive had that go on my EA before, and its a different experience. Today I was going to try it again, and when i tried to unlock the car with the remote, they kept locking and unlocking constantly, and each time it happened it seemed as tho what little power is left was running out.

This happened to me last week, and i thought it was the battery, so i charged it up, put it back in the caar and it still wouldnt start. It sat there for 3 days, and then when i tried it again, it started first go, and ran fine for two days. Now its started all over again.

Any ideas what it could be? Alternator maybe? A bad connection somewhere, or something stupid like a fuse? I checked to see if they were loose, but not what condition they were in. Ill give that a go first thing tom. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
ED Fairmont Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The charger I used didnt indicate that the battery wasnt working properly. It has 4 lights on the side that indicate charging/battery full/battery not functioning properly, and something else.

The simplest answer tends to be the right one most of the time tho. Ill pick up a new battery first thing tom and c how i go!

·
mmm..Vee 8
496 Posts
Could be a dead battery..

the battery in my AU i bought worked fine for 2 weeks and then suddenly just died..starter motor became real slow in turning over engine for a few days, and then one day it just died..a ticking sound like you describe and all the lights diming. got the NRMA out..they tested the battery...dead as a doornail..most likely a dead cell, so it barely held charge. Mind you it was a crap no name battery...had no brand markings on it what soever!

got a new 520cca one fitted...no worries :D

Hope this Helps

Extreme

·
ED Fairmont Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mines a no-name too. If it is the battery ill be mega pissed off, cos the charger i used didnt do what its supposed to and indicate it was stuffed. At the same time tho ill be greatly relieved. Ill wait and see how i go. Thanx for ur speedy replies guys! Ill post back once I know whats happened.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Sounds to me like the starter motor is stuffed, and you've flattened the battery trying to turn it over.

·
ED Fairmont Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TIKFD6 said:
Deffinately sounds like the batery Rob.
They cost a bit but good ones come with 3 year warrenties and last.
Yeah I got no problems shelling out for a good battery, u cant put a price on peace of mind. My current battery has no obvious markings, so i can only assume its cheap crap.

·
ED Fairmont Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
psycho chicken said:
Sounds to me like the starter motor is stuffed, and you've flattened the battery trying to turn it over.
Hey psycho, I didnt get much of a chance to flatten the battery, on my first attempt yesterday the car turned over maybe 3-4 times and died, after that it turned once and thats it. Subsequent tries were limited to turning the key and nothing much happening.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Was the tacking noise with the ignition to start?

I see one of two things; starter won't turn over, solenoid clicks over and over, you flatten the battery trying.
Battery is half flat, not enough power to turn the starter over, solenoid clicks over and over.

Tried jump starting it?

·
ED Fairmont Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't tried jump starting it yet, after I charged the battery and it still wouldnt start i figured it wouldnt make a difference trying to jump it. If the starter motor is stuffed/or the battery is stuffed will the car still start with a jump?

·
ED Fairmont Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To my untrained eye they appear to be in a normal condition. My girlfriends father (mechanic) came to look at the car 3 days after the first time i had the problem (the same day it miraculously came back to life as if nothing had happened) and he didnt find anything visually wrong.

·
ED Fairmont Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys, I put a new Century battery in and it started fine. I don't know if this means the battery was the problem though. I disconnected the battery again to save powere (incase i have some loose connection or somehting somewhere that is draining power) Do you guys reckon it could be the alternator? I'll get it all checked out tomorrow tho, and post back.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
If your solenoid is clicking (ie: switching on), then it is doing its job OK. Just that you don't have enough battery power to crank the engine over.

You may have an electrical discharge sucking your battery flat overnight?? Or your battery isn't recharging whilst driving (alternator/loose fan belt etc).

Get a hygrometer (small tube with a rubber plunger). They suck up battery water from your battery cells and test the specific gravity of the water. If your battery is knackered then 1 (or more) of the 5 cells will show a bad reading. They only cost a few bucks.

·
ED Fairmont Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TruBlu351 said:
If your solenoid is clicking (ie: switching on), then it is doing its job OK. Just that you don't have enough battery power to crank the engine over.

You may have an electrical discharge sucking your battery flat overnight?? Or your battery isn't recharging whilst driving (alternator/loose fan belt etc).

Get a hygrometer (small tube with a rubber plunger). They suck up battery water from your battery cells and test the specific gravity of the water. If your battery is knackered then 1 (or more) of the 5 cells will show a bad reading. They only cost a few bucks.
Yeah the whole time the solenoid was clicking, but it was as if theyre wasnt enough power for the car to crank all the way. I thought i might have some sort of discharge sucking power, or that the battery wasnt being charged (either the battery was stuffed, or the alternator was stuffed) After I chucked the new battery in the car has been running great. I got the alternator checked, and it was working fine. We tested the old battery and it seemed to be holding charge all right. However it failed the 'specific gravity' test. The old battery was at least 3 years old so I guess it was due for retirement.
Thanx everyone for your comments!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts