Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Normal Temp. Falcon!!!
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I Have an XF, 4.1L Carby, on gas, and it drives around for a bit and the temp is about 1/4 then if i stop it and drive again about 15mins later its about half, then drive for a little bit more and stop again its nearly full temp not long after,

The waterpump seems to be working ok, and the coolant had been cleaned out. the radiator has been changed and it helped a little, but it still gets really hot,

can someone please reply ASAP... as i need the car for work tomorra.

·
More horsepower required
612 Posts
Have you checked the thermostat ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same problem like this with my EA last week, took it to GoodYear, it was a faulty thermostat and leaves that were stuck between the two hoses on the top of the radiator. Worthwhile to check out if there are any cracks or the like on ANY of your radiator/engine hoses.

·
Normal Temp. Falcon!!!
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesnt even have a thermostat in it... it was pulled out a while ago and not put back in...

·
Normal Temp. Falcon!!!
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, i'd love to throw a thermo fan in it, but it doesnt fix whats making it over heat suddenly...

·
Normal Temp. Falcon!!!
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is there anyway to check the water jacket without removing the head?

and how can u clean it?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I'd start with putting the thermostat back in. Why was it taken out?

cheers

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i had heating problems, when i would give it a bit, the temp would sky rocket, and then eventually come back down, new thermostat and thermos mad a big difference. But the problem was my radiator, (it split in the end) and i have replaced it with a V8 one, and the bloody thing is now prolly running too cold. The futura has a fairmont dash (standard) and the needle sits next to the blue cold bar. If the car is left idle without the air on, it eventually goes up, until the thermoswitch goes off and cools the car down..

What sorta radiator have you replaced it with. otherwise there must be a blockage somewhere else..

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
yes, to a certain degree, cuz when the coolant get to a certain temp it will open, allowing coolant to flow through.

It looks like you have some sort of blockage somewhere by the sounds of it. I spose your hoses are really firm when the car is warm, like all are with the car is warm.

Are all your hoses ok, no buldges anywhere.

Or have you had the clutch on the fan checked, it may be gone. My car is running cooler now, even with the thermos off, than wot it was with the clutch fan....

·
###AND EDGT DRIVER###
713 Posts
i thought mine was over heating in one of my xf ended up being a earth lead on the lh kick panel it was only affecting the temp gadge on the dash.

some thing to check anyway.

·
Registered
354 Posts
a thermostat regulates temperature and (tries to) maintain a constant temperature. they also restrict the water flow. the only reason i would take one out is if it's faulty. if it isnt faulty all you are doing is hiding the symptoms without curing a different problem. the speed of the water pump and water flow is directly controlled by rpm. at anything over approx 2000rpm the water will flow thru the radiator too fast without actually having the chance to cool down.

if u have your doubts about the thermostat fit a colder range one - at least that will eliminate the water flow issue.

there are soooo many reasons why an engine can overheat u could write a novel on it. one thing no one has mentioned, check your viscous hub. does it overheat while u'r driving? if so at what speeds? only overheat at idle etc?

·
EF Fairmont
72 Posts
It will be the fan clutch, when the engine is getting above the 1/2 on the temp guage stop the engine and lift the bonnet.
Turn the fan by hand, it shoud take some effort to turn, I would bet that yours will spin free.
You can buy the clutch from repco.

·
Normal Temp. Falcon!!!
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok,
put new thermostat back in and drove under 1km, nearly cooked... as if no water was getting thru at all... checked fan as someone said and there is a fair amount of resistance, so this would almost point to a blockage in the water jacket... now is there anyway to check/rectify this without removing the head??

·
Registered
797 Posts
if u dont wanna remove ur head, just disconnect ur hoses from the radiator and flush the block and head by shuffing the water hose down one of the hoses and let water run threw. Check out the water which runs out of the block, if it is brown and dirt or has particles floating all over the place, it might be worth while removing the head and having a closer look, otherwise see if flushing the waterjacket makes a difference.

·
Normal Temp. Falcon!!!
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anyone know about a treatment that Burson's sell that removes the crap from your water jackets?

Is it worth a go?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts