Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the horrible things that have happened over the last week or so I am sure we have all seen many pic of America. I couldnt help but notice all the Fords in almost every TV clip I have seen. The cop cars have a very Avalon look to them I think and was wondering what they are called and what donks they use. Any info much appriciated.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
They are Lincoln Crown's i think? (Ford company)

·
Hawthorn Supporter
1,808 Posts
I don't know what ugly Fords they have over there as cop cars but they should order some stroker T-series and bust those hoons in their Chevys :nuts:
It would be great to see movies with Aussie Falcons in them.

·
Hawthorn Supporter
1,808 Posts
I think they are called Crown Victoria .
They have so many different Ford cop cars over there it's not funny.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
The cop cars used there are a Ford Crown Victoria with a 4.6L 260Hp engine. Apparently they are literally tanks as they are one of the last cars still made with a full chassis thats why they can be used as ram cars, definitly Ford tough i reckon...

Geee if i only had a Crown when that Excel ran into me. :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Venom

Venom, I always thought Lincoln was regarded as a different company to the Ford brand (Like Jag are now) the cop cars clearly wear a big blue oval on the front.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EF Guy

Full chassis??? you mean it hasnt got a subframe like a Falcon has now? It's got a chassis like a Landrover has got? chassis with a bolt on body? RAM RAIDER FROM HELL and a nice 4.6lt to boot:p

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure. I think I'm mixing the Ford Crown with a story about future RWD Lincoln's possibly becoming the newest yank cop cars.

Lincoln is kinda like Jag, but you'll find Lincolns and Mercurys (the FTE Cougar is a Mercury, but wears Ford badges here and in the UK) for sale in Ford show rooms in the states - I've been to a few! (I got to sit in a 2000 Saleen Mustang convertible in Sturgis, South Dakota) Not sure you'll see Jags for sale in Ford dealerships in quite the same way. Ford have been very smart about protecting the Jaguar/Aston Martin badges.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Yeap thats what i read a full ladder chassis like a truck, might wiegh like a tank but geez it can be useful. They are indeed tough cars. Last big rear drive sedan sold in the US. The Chevy Impala SS used to compete with the Crown Vic but now Impala has gone to front drive.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EF Guy

Full Ladder Chassis like a truck, I just about pissed myself laughing when I read this. I WANT ONE OF THOSE BABIES!! must weight about 2 tonne though!!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dont know how to quote

Ford have been very smart about protecting the Jaguar/Aston Martin badges.

And so they should, mixing the above brands with the Ford name would be very very bad for the FOMOCO. Keep the McDonald eaters away from from the fish egg eater I say:nuts: no insult to any ford driver intended.;)

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I think you guys are getting the Lincoln Town Car and the Ford Crown Victoria mixed up.

The Town Car has full chassis, however I am at least 90% sure the Crown Victoria is monocoque.

If you go to the states, get a Crown Victoria for a hire car - the only RWD car you can rent other than Mustang.

·
2,153 Posts
Just about every US Cab I have been into was a Crown Vic. The back seat is huge, three large people can easily sit in comfort with plenty of room left even with a full security screen.

The suspension in one example I went into from SF airport to downtown had what felt like 1 foot travel in the springs. We were bouncing up and down almost hitting our heads on the roof, and that was on a smooth road. Half way to the cbd the drivers window popped out of its rails and he had to hold the glass with one hand for the rest of the journey. It was a scary ride.

In Las Vegas I noticed that there was heaps of V8 Ford Explorers used as cabs.

Can't remember what the cops used but It was mainly Crown victoria type cars. The funniest sight was the California motorcycle cops still dressed like the guys from CHIPS. I almost cracked up laughing in front of one when I realised that wouldn't be a good idea :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The cop cars are Ford Police Intercepters. That is the offcial name that I have seen. Really they are police package Crown Vics. The Lincoln TownCar is built on the same frame as the Crown Vic and Merkury Marquies. I have the brochures for the 1999 Crown Vic and Town Car.:D

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
Check the power outputs on some of those 4.6L V8 engines used in these cars.. They are equivilent to the 4.0 XR6 and 4.0 VCT engines in power and torque.

These things would be some what sluggish in pursiuts. Lots of metal, pretty weedy engine. Many departments are trialing other cars like Volvos or fwd cars.

I think Ford OZ should send a cloth trimmed fairlane, with your choice of DOHC 4.0 or 5.4L V8, badged as a LTD for use as police cars. Would be right up there ally. If it was LHD.

Also a good car for the middle east.. Easy exports, just look at the fish Holden are frying in the middle east now.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
IPhido said:
I think Ford OZ should send a cloth trimmed fairlane, with your choice of DOHC 4.0 or 5.4L V8, badged as a LTD for use as police cars. Would be right up there ally. If it was LHD.
Same issues as Holden as - the fuel tank is at the back of the car - won't meet US regs.

·
Aussie Ford Fan
186 Posts
I did recall seeing a Chevy Impala in police livery in many of the shots of the New York Attack. They replaced the Lumina in the states and are a competitor for the Taurus, Honda Accord and Toyota Camry/Avalon. I think this is what would have looked like an Avalon at the rear. They have the same 3.8 V-6 as the Commodore but in a front drive application

see www.chevrolet.com/impala/index.htm

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fuel Tank at rear will not meet the US regs?

What the hell? where else can a fuel tank go in a sedan?:confused:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts