Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much would it cost to put in a second hand v8 engine into my ea fairmont. For the engine and the installment. If you know of a place that does this in victoria, that would be great. Looking for an e-series v8 engine to put in.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Recent thread on this, a guy is planning to build an EA GT replica, bottom line is, work the I6, turbo it, more power for less the cost of a V8, if you are really keen, buy a written off el V8 ghia, and swap the lot to your car.

Jason

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no rice my friend, plus i prefer the muscle cars, that's why I got a ford
how much would that el cost about, and would i be able to transfer the interior too, if it was any good???

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Yes the whole lot will transfer, excpet the rear seat (as best i know) and the front seats need rails chopped and swapped to fit in, best bet is the auctions for a rear damaged EF or EL, and see what turns up, the doors will also fit, small mod required on the rear doors though, getting there (thats his user name) has already turned his ea into an ef basically, look in the General Tech section for the thread.

:edit: Here is the link: http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=57493&highlight=turning

If only my wife would let me, I would do what you are aiming to acheive.

Jason.

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
bonka said:
no rice my friend, plus i prefer the muscle cars, that's why I got a ford
how much would that el cost about, and would i be able to transfer the interior too, if it was any good???
Dude, your gunna be sooo dissapointed at how much you'll end up spending for the IMO very little power increase equal to that of a mildy worked six. Hmm geuss that means the BA XR6T is rice??

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mate, all i hear when people with skylines or whateva rice cars, they want to put in turbo, maybe for a small engine car would be nice, but it is just a cheap substitute for a supercharge

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
TURBO is not RICE

Putting stickers and badges all over the car that say turbo, and putting a rear wing that looks like a shopping trolley handle is RICE, when the car is stock as grandma's next door.

Not attacking, just making a point :0), have a nice day (I still like a V8, but the I6 has such good mod potential for dollar ratio)

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
Got nothing against super chargers, personally I would prefer to supercharge instead of turbo. But I really cant see your logic in saying that a turbo "can't compare" to a supercharger and that they are a "cheap" substitute. When we said you should turbo charge your car, were merely advising you that alot more power can be made from doing work to the 6 rather than spending all that money to fit a v8 only to have a very poor cost to performance ratio. If however you ultimately plan on supercharging or doing some HEAVY N/A mods to the 8, then I say go for it, I just try to advise people that your not going to see an incredible performance increase when changing to an 8 and even then they don't respond that well to mods compared to the 6 and the cost of parts is rediculous.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that is the full point of getting the 8, in the end it will be supercharged, i am aiming for about 400hp, which in fact could be doen easier if you had a 8, i am not here to start fights with u guys, but until they bought out the new BA XR6T, the cars that had them were high performance european cars (very rare), but most of the were rice cars.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Dellboy999 said:
Yes the whole lot will transfer, excpet the rear seat (as best i know) and the front seats need rails chopped and swapped to fit in,
Jason.
Rear seats fit without a hassle i beleive.
fronts are the real pain :)

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
For the front seats - You need to use a bit of pipe to raise the "floor" hehe and then drill a new hole in the floorpan to bolt the back corner down. Easy.

Alex

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
you could use a rear ended, say, V8 EB Fairmont Ghia as a donor car, everything is bolt in no modding seats (or floors! :fraz: )

if you were able to do all the work yourself, then you could probably get this conversion done for say 3 - 5k (all depends on how much the EB is.)
if you cant do any of it yaself, then you will be in for a suprise my friend - its gonna be verry expensive.

at a guess, just the labour on this would be somewhere around 6 - 10k, then any parts extra that are needed (ie engine mounts, new diff if donor diff is damaged, etc etc..), then, as has been said, performance parts for the windsor arent cheap at all.

i do plan on doing this next year however on my EA wagon, ill be doing most of the work myself though, which will save a shiteload of $$

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
FordFan351's conversion cost 'a lot'
donor car is the best bet, but don't expect things to be cheap unless u can do the stuff urself

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
Ah damn, I re-read the origional post and I see your wanting to find someone who'll do this for ya, therefore the cost will be MUCH greater and even more not worth it. Fordfan351 conversion cost a mere $10,000 if memory serves correctly. So I'm sorry to say that if your serious and 400hp is what you want, using the 6 will get you there and beyond with half the cost, or prepare to get your hands dirty and do the conversion yourself...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
time to find me an EB car then, my EA atm, is in a bloody good nik, but the engine is ****ing up with oil leeks and when u seal them up again, they come back.the original lady had done only like 70k on the meter, and i only bought this car last year

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
Good stuff, you'll find the EB to be a better base car to work on anyway with a fair bit of refinments over the EA's, a stronger chassis for one, which will certainly be good for when your cars putting out 400+hp.

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
Rmyers said:
Good stuff, you'll find the EB to be a better base car to work on anyway with a fair bit of refinments over the EA's, a stronger chassis for one, which will certainly be good for when your cars putting out 400+hp.
i think he may have meant the EB as a donor car, as he mentioned he only bought his EA last year

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Street Machine did this swap to the sony scorcher in 98 i think. It showed most of the things you needed to like crossmember & p/s lines.I would say you would also have to do your brakes as well.Just buy an eb & start from there unless you have a lot of cash because modding any windsor to that much horsepower aint gonna be cheap.

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
Supercharging the six is a good idea, have a glance at this website, the link will take you straight to the ford kits.

http://www.capa.com.au/kits_ford.htm

they have supercharger kits for many different applications which includes the whole e-series range through to AU and BA. It's not cheap, but then again, if you want some decent power, any route you take will be hard on your wallet. Some nice kits in there...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts