Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
XB Pilot
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to swap the 6 in my car to a 351c and would like to know whether I'll need to replace the springs.
Currently the front springs are lowered 4.1 springs, but are quite firm.
I sat on the bonnet and the car didn't drop much. I guess that the V8 can't weigh that much more than 75kg extra but I could be wrong. Is this a good test or am I way of the ball?

What do you think? Keep current or replace with lowered v8 springs?

Also I going to swap the non assisted steering box for the power sterring box from the donor car. Anything to watch out for?

Simon.

·
Banned
555 Posts
even if you replace them with really stiff 6cyl springs they will still allow the car to hit the bumpstops to much, it will thud and clunk and just piss you off for $100 bux do it right.

·
XB Pilot
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is $100 what their worth for good ones? Fitted?
I wouldn't have any probs fitting them myself once I had spring compressors, but I'd have to buy something I'd only use once. How much should I expect for pay for them to be fitted.
The tyres already hit the guards if I turn in to a driveway with the wheels turned hard, will I be able to actually drive to a suspension shop?

Simon

·
Registered
206 Posts
if your tyres rub now with the six in it, you will have big problems with the eight fitted.
and it'll drive like a boat...
like the toast man said, spend the cash and get the right ones. king springs are around $120 for a front pair. last time i went to a mechanic (cant remember what year that was) i was charged $40 per hour. with the right tools they can do it quicker than that.
i replaced the six in one of my xb's with an 8, and left in the low 6cylinder springs.
never again.....

·
kickerinthegutsbarry
568 Posts
Have to agree with everyone on this, they bounce around and carry on if you leave the 6cly spings in with an eight.

Have fun if you use spring compressers, I've made a tool for changing front springs in early falcs ,It's a long, (really)thick piece of thread with a pieice of tube welded to the bottom and a nut on top with two bits of steel rod welded to it , to make it easier to turn with weight on it.The thread fits in an old shocker tripod that has been drilled out so as it (the thread)can fit through.

I'll try and explain how it works: with the shocker and tripod removed, slide the thread down the tower and put the drilled out tripod where the original tripod go's, slip a pin through the spring and through the tube on the bottom of the thread, and through the other side of the spring, wind up the nut on the top of the thread and the pin will pull the spring up into the tower and off the wishbone,drop out the wishbone and un wind the nut and wellah out comes the spring.

If you want to get techo and make it easier you can put an weld a round piece of steel to the top of the tripod and use an old falcon wheelbearing to make it easier to turn with weight on it.

Make sense? Well I have made one and it is a hellva lot easier than trying to fit spring compressers and r**t around and it only cost me about $30

·
XB Pilot
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it looks like the 6 springs will be coming out ASAP.
Apollo: I understand How to make it after reading it a couple of times and drawing a diagram, but I'm not so sure about what happens at the bottom end with what call a pin.
The way I see it:
i weld the tube to the end on the thread and feed it up the shock tower to where the tripod goes. I then flatten the top of another tripod and put the nut with welded handle on and then obviously turn it and compress the spring. With the 'pin' do you mean another narrower but longer rod that feeds through the bottom tub that was welded onto the thread?
If this is the case, how do you stop the 'pin' from going up the spiril of the spring?

·
Banned
555 Posts
if you have reasonably low 6cyl springs you shouldnt need a compressor they can be yanked out, compressor is for factory springs more than anything.

2.5 inch lowred v8 springs can be pushed into place by hand

I charge $150 supplied and fitted on x series falcons ( ps not trying to sell here).

·
kickerinthegutsbarry
568 Posts
siwren said:
Well it looks like the 6 springs will be coming out ASAP.
Apollo: I understand How to make it after reading it a couple of times and drawing a diagram, but I'm not so sure about what happens at the bottom end with what call a pin.
The way I see it:
i weld the tube to the end on the thread and feed it up the shock tower to where the tripod goes. I then flatten the top of another tripod and put the nut with welded handle on and then obviously turn it and compress the spring. With the 'pin' do you mean another narrower but longer rod that feeds through the bottom tub that was welded onto the thread?
If this is the case, how do you stop the 'pin' from going up the spiril of the spring?
Yeah you've got it, the pin or whatever you want to call it (it's gotta be pretty strong ) won't go up the spiral, it will just pull it up. If it feels like theres any weight on the spring don't let it go with nothing holding it or it'll take you're head off, or at least bend the gaurd.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
siwren said:
I sat on the bonnet and the car didn't drop much.
Simon.
Don't worry, you won't crash much.

Mcpherson strut spring compressors work. You will have to shorten them to work in this application.

Factory manual has a picture of the factory spring compressor. This style is still available in the US.

I can remove the passenger side springs on my car without a compressor but the drivers side has a longer free length and requires a compressor.

·
XB Pilot
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: V8 in Xb with lowered 6 cylinder springs?

Crash?? Me?? Never!

Don't worry, the springs will be replaced straight after I've swapped the engine over. I'm going to get the steering checked as well, the car walks around a fair bit and I haven't had it at 110 yet but i reckon i'm not goign to enjoy the ride much.

·
XB Pilot
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just rang Pedders and asked about getting them to replace the front springs for lowered V8 items, installing lowering blocks on the rears and getting a wheel alignment and they want to charge me $550.
And if I want to get the idler arms and pitman arm replaced then thats another $220.

Am I going to get robbed here? Should I do some shopping around or is this going to be the average price?

Should I purchase the idler and pitman arms seperately and install them myself, get them to do the front springs and alignment and buy the lowering blocks off them and fit them myself?

Thanks

Simon

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
we done exactly the same thing to our xb... had the 6 springs when we put i the v8.... sat nice and low, the guard was where the top of the rim was on 14" rims... looked MAD but wasnt driveable much, changed them.... and was better....

·
Registered
195 Posts
MATE let me tll you change the springs you do need not any special tools a 2m bit of pipe between the inner guard and the spring and as you flick it out lift upwards but make sure the shocker is removed sorry that should have been the first step if its lowered there will be no tention on them as for the pitmam arm there is nothing but the whole assembly to change but will need a puller to do it idler arm is easy but do not use urathane as the idler arm is the thing that self centres the steering so make sure if you do it youself a bit of grease on all surfaces and the steering in the straight ahead position when you tighten up the 2nuts greg venomXR6

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
I have superlow king springs in my XF that suit a 6 cylinder, I have now got a V8 and its fine. I looked up the part number in the king spring catologue and there is no seperate part number for superlow V8 springs. The front sits pretty low but its not any worse than it was before regarding turning at full lock.

·
XB Pilot
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: V8 in Xb with lowered 6 cylinder springs?

Found some Lovells guys that will fix it up for $460, which is better. Problem is time for me.
I'll be swapping the engine this weekend but Ireckon I going to be hard pressed for time to do that and I need the car for the following weekend, so looks like I just have to pay.

Whats the difference between lowering block and resetting the springs apart from the obvious? Do blocks upset the handling?
Is there a big cost difference in having the springs reset?

Simon

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
I have 2 sets of coil springs to suit V8 falcon for sale (1 set isn't listed).
http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=58605

Difference between re-set and blocks is the slack in the joints, it also changes the geometry for the worse. The rear ends typcially lose traction easier and bump steer vary badly.
Re-setting will be less than $200 if you R&R the springs yourself, take them to Carrols springs.

Rick.

·
XB Pilot
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By R&R do you mean Remove & Replace?

Carrols is just down the road from where I live, how do they know how much they should lower it by without having the car to check against?

I'll give them a call anyway

Simon

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Measure the height of your car before you remove the springs on level concrete.
Tell them how much you want them lowered by, don't forget to tell them to add another leaf.

Rick.

·
XB Pilot
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, just called Carrols

Front Springs: $180 a pair
Reset Rears: $120 a pair
Labour: $300 (ouch)

So $600 all up to get it done properly.

venomXR6 you way of removing the springs sounds awfully dangerous, potentially damaging as well.

So I think I'll get someone else to fix up the front, remove the rears myself and send them off to carrols and put them on myself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts