Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ex Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Nf for 2 months now, when i bought it, it had 80,000k's on the clock, immaculate condition. its upto 90,000k's now, but i noticed occasionaly blue smoke when taking off. It's under warratny so im not worry'ed about the cost. but i find it disapointing that this should be happening allready.

The car does have a tow bar, so i suspect the previous owner was towing something bloody heavy. rear shocks were blown too. but changed now.

How long are these engines supposed to last ?

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
They last for ages: Check blowby,put in gear foot hard on brakes put engine under load for short time check how much smoke/Fumes come out of oil filler hole when cap taken off. Need 2 people, be carefull.

A cylinder leakdown test is more profesional but the above is not bad to do on first drive esp if salesman isn't there.Could be the P.V.C valve at the back centre of you engine is faulty.
These engines made the least warrenty claims at Ford U.S.
I hope it has not been overheated or something.Paint look o/k around exhaust manufold? Not burnt!! Water pump/ timing cover original ?? Could have stuffed up & cooked mill..
At times they do have some smoke but usually black [rich] blue usually means oil. It's not pinging as this happens ??

Engines will possibly outlast body ?? esp if top end is overhauled at some stage.[Rockers etc] Hope there wasn't a reason why the previouse owner sold it??
Last 300k.klm 400k.klm+. With good servicing??

·
Ex Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything in the engine bay looks brand new, its been garaged its whole life. all the paint around the headers is as good as new.

Its also leaking fule from in the engine bay. im leaving for holidays tomorow so i dont even have the chance to take it back till next year. its booked in tho.

What a depressing development.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Sounds like a good buy. Was going worse scienerio o/k just things to check.
The fuel leak can be a worry tho. E.F.I run approx 40 Lp and a leak can be bad news. Remember Allen Jones in the Stone brothers car at Bathurst. Now I said that have a good holiday. & safe one..

·
Ex Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm very happy with the car on the whole, but i still stand by what i think..

Never buy a used car with a towbar!

it could of been towing a fully loaded horse trailer flat out, up hill its whole life and you would never know it.

the fuel leak comes and goes. it started happening when i switched from premium all the time to regular unleaded, and hasent happend much since. i dont think this would be the cause of it tho.

i cant see it at all, only smell it. it could just be something stupid..

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Has it got one of those Heavy Duty towbars or just a regular one?

Also what was the service history like? Obviously if it hasnt had enough oil changes things may not be the best internally.
How does the engine sound?

Yeah they are as bullet proof as they come though

·
Super Moderator
3,764 Posts
If it had been doing heavy towing it's more likely the auto would prematurely fail; not the engine. The fuel smell and smoke may be related; if a fuel line is leaking and also letting in air the ECU may be running the engine too rich and causing smoke; what Kilos per 100 litres are you getting. Check there isn't a leak at the fuel filter on the fuel line and all those clamps on the line are tight and no hard lines are cracked.

·
Ex Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may just be paranoid, because now its not doing it. you can rev the hell out of it, it sounds great and theres no smoke. and the smell has disapeared too. These dealers are going to think im a lier.

could this smoke just of been normal? maybe some contaminats in the fuel?

I did however notice, that the oil level has droped, about half a cm on the dipstick in 5000k's maybe this is an acceptable amount of oil consumption though?

in the city. if driven very easily in econo mode, i have had 500k's per 68litre tank. normaly, in the city, i have it out of econo mode with the a/c on all the time and get around 450k's

on the highway, i've had it upto 650k's per tank (not even with the red fuel low light on) I was bloody impressed for a V8

·
Ex Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If i can get 650k's out of a V8, the I6 must be able to get over 700k's anyone?

I drove an EF I6 for 2 years, but never got to take it out for a looooong drive.

im leaving for adelaide in 1 hour and wont return for 2 weeks, so ill possibly not even see your replies.. but ill go looking when i m back.

G

·
Hey Fairlane boy,

That fuel smell maybe a saturated charcoal canister. Or the vapour line might have dropped off. Does the smell go away in cooler weather?
Anyway check your vapour lines for cracks etc and make sure the canister purge solenoid has clean contacts too. You can check if it's still ok by applying 12v to it's terminals momentarily and listen for it clicking open whilst blowing through the valve to see if it flows when powered.

As for the engine, it's true it is one of the most reliable and long lasting engines of all time. 600 plus k's is pushing your luck though. I think it could get there but pushing a big fairlane around it would certainly be ultra gutless by then.

Pete.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
I think it could have been owned by a real slow driver or one that hasn't extended it too much? Some oil always works it's way into the inet,"It's just the way they are" Then you have driven it and loved that torque of the 8 and extended more than previous person. Oil may have dropped too for condensation [water] has been heated out of it. This happens if it has been driven real easy, short trips, cold weather etc.

We have had trotters and towed horse floats everywere and had NO trouble with engine's etc up to 140.000 klm. Cars being 265 Valliant, 202 Holden[apsolute crap for towing & high fuel consumpion],5:8 X.D "THE BEST" That car had 400.000 klm on it before Ford woke up and bought back the V8 again. So we updated. We don't have horses now but the V8 still is king!! Oh we had a truck from new [Isuzu] the last few years and it blew gearboxes heaps!!,head gasgets.Heaps!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts