Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the Championship seems to be getting stronger and stronger what do you guys reakon about other manufactuers entering the championship? Personally I dont have a problem with it, as long as there RWD V8's, and have a production based model thats for sale in Australia (no one off racing models).
It will bring more people to races, which means better racing and more money. And with others joining, it could potentailly become a more international event. Thats just my view anyway.

http://sport.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,2152027%5E9969,00.html

This article is interesting though, cos I'm pretty sure I can remeber avseco saying that no-one else was entering untill at least 2003/4. Oh yeah, and an Avalon and Neal Bates..what a combo!!

·
Ford Focus WRC Driver.
761 Posts
Crap! Take Toyota out....V8's strictly for Fords and Holden!!!!
Can't really imagine someone waving a Toyota flag around a V8 Supercar race!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
The more manufacturers the better I say! I couldnt give a **** if they use RWD Avalons and Magnas for racing, as long as its still competitive and awesome to watch, im all for it!

Oh, and apparently Toyota are designing a 5.0L Pushrod motor so it can compete in some US motor racing!

·
Interloper from LS1.com
768 Posts
rallyman said:
Can't really imagine someone waving a Toyota flag around a V8 Supercar race!!!!!!
He wouldn't last long - I could see Ford and Holden fans coming together for the common good on that one.

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
They had a interview over in NZ with Allan Moffat, and he was asked the question would he think that another manufacture would be allowed into the V8 Supercars and his answer - a very confident NO.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Won't need to worry about a third party entering the sport as Avesco are doing a good enough JOB of shifting the entire series off shore any way.
When are Ford or Holden going to stand up grow a back bone and stop this crap with Avesco withdrawing from races in each state.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Yeah its NZ one year, no WA the next. Then it will be some Asian country the year after, no Darwin next and so on. But back to the point. I dont mind that Toyota or even Mitsubishi come into V8s as I don't feel they will win or have much experience to get very far anyway. If your scared of them coming in for beeing to competitive then look at it on the bright side, the more competitive they are the more competitive FORD will have to be. Hence thier Product should be better.

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
I think that Toyota and Mitsubishi lack the key ingredient that both Ford and Holden have and that is FANS. I personally think that AVESCO won't get any more fans along to the races than they currently have and also if either of these manufacturers started winning I could see TV audiences and spectators dropping off.
If its not broke don't fix.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
If Avesco do have the asia market in mind I think there will be enought support for both Toyota and Mitsubishi. Actually they would probably only have to hold two round to equal the attendance of several of our rounds.

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
Actually if any other manufacture were to be allowed in it would probably have to Mitsubishi rather than Toyota.

Why? Because Mitsubishi have got a 4wd Magna coming soon and therefore they could have a Rwd car which with minor modification can decouple the drive shafts at the front.

Unlike Toyota and the Avalon which has no provisions for rear or 4wd and in their case it will take alot more money to develope the drivechain.

Though Toyota could strike back as they could some how get one of the V8 Lexus engines to fit in the Avalon but that would equal more weight at the front and if it were to be kept front wheel drive no one would have a chance of controlling the understeer and Torque steer.

Regarding the track issues I agree that it is a bad move to kill off other tracks in Aussie inplace of overseas circuts like Asia although I still don't mind the series coming to NZ.

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
J-type said:

Regarding the track issues I agree that it is a bad move to kill off other tracks in Aussie inplace of overseas circuts like Asia although I still don't mind the series coming to NZ.

got any spare rooms for a few Aussies to watch v8 supercars???:nuts:

·
Early Ford Member
277 Posts
I agree with Adam W. The Asian car companies just don't have the legacy that the Aussie makes do, eg 60's ad 70's musclecars. Introducing foriegn cars into the series will turn it into a completely different class of event, and will thus lose the main audience which the V8s have at the moment. Just look at the current sponsors of the race at the moment: VB, Big Kev, etc. These are Aussie icons just as the Falcons and commodores are. By including other cars in the Supercar event, you lose the main audience, and thus the quality of the show. Unless of corse the Asian cars always get thrashed by the Aussies. Now that'd be worth watching!!

·
Jaguar X-Type
199 Posts
I think its insane though that the engines have to be pushrod eights to enter. Whats going to happen as the Commodores and Falcons all get quadcams or whatever ?

Why cant the commodores use the LS1 in the race ? It should be based on whats sold in their XR8 & SS sedans.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
SnaggS. Parity my freind. How could a windsor 5.0L compete with an alloy 5.7 engine? V8 supercars is manufacturers with the same rules applying to thier product. i.e weight, power,and engine capacity limits. GTP is what you see in your dealership racing on the track.

·
Jaguar X-Type
199 Posts
Yes... but theyll soon be racing in dinosaurs which dont represent what we have on the road.

And why does it have to be fair ? Holden dont sell 5.0 V8's anymore... if Ford want to compete... they can put something better in their road cars.... and vica versa when the quadcam comes.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
I still beleive i the motto "what wins on sunday sells on monday" with ford to release the upcoming stroker based on the windsor and in about this time next year the first quad cam V8 ever to be used in an australian car I think it's relitavely safe to say Ford will be on evem street with Holden. In the next few years holden will do either one of 2 things. drop the LS1 and opt for the ls6 currently powering the top of the line z06 corvette, or Biuld thier own version of the ls1. Now where that leaves the v8 supercars I dont know. I have a feeling its chaper to build the pushrod v8 engines for racing than the DOHC and from what ive been told the pushrod would be stronger and more durable for racing conditions. If ford and holden would use thier road cars for racing then the car that has the advantage would be either slowed down or, the other manufactuer would be forced to modify thier road car to better that of the competiton in order for it to beat it on the track. Tjis would bring back the Hosrepower war like the 70's whcih NO ONE would want to see happenign again. I mean our Big aussie v8 sedans beeing banned for too much power.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts