Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy the valve cover gaskets for the 93GT, but the local stores just carry the kits (Gasket with Grommets and Insulators). Couple of questions:

1) What are the grommets and insulators used for on the valve cover?
2) Should I get the kit or just the gaskets?
3) Where can I order them cheap?

Thanks.

-Matt

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
The grometts and isolators are for the spark plug wells.
And the cheapest place I've fond around me is the Mazda dealer...no, really...

Oh, and the kit is usually just the gaskets and gromets and stuff...dunno why, but that's what they call it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My front valve cover leaks oil (not excessively), does anyone think that this would lower my oil pressure? I ask because my oil pressure reads VERY low, always under the "L" in Normal (even under hard acceleration). I know that the 93GT had oil guages which consistently read low, but is that too low?

THanks.

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
My 94 does the same thing, only every so often. Oil level is good, and I leak nowhere...I chalk it up to a funny gauge. As long as I don't hear any loud ticking, I figure my oil pump is still working ....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealer

Funny thing about VCG's I found that Ford sold them for $10 less than Mazda. At least in my area. $32 from Mazda, and $22 from ford. But prices vary from area to area. Call around or just get them from the Guy above. Not a bad price.

-jeff

·
Probe GT Member
94 Posts
MattV it isn't the oil pressure gauge. It is the oil pressure sending unit that goes bad with age. After the '93 (and possibly '94) models Ford started using a sending unit that only gave a "yes or no" answer to the "Do I have oil pressure?" question rather than a "how much" answer. If you go buy another one be aware beforehand that the price is over $125.
Barry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts