Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Chasing down oil leaks...
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dropped my head off at a reconditioner and he is going to replace the valve seals and just wants me to drop off some replacement ones when I pick the head up.

When I buy a head gasket kit will it contain these seals? I guess I am looking for an ACL monotorque head gasket set?

Or are these a seperate item that I need to get and how much are they?

Sorry for the dumb question LOL... BTW EA 3.9L head...

Dan..

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I brought my head gasket kit last week it did'nt have valve seals in it.
It might depend on what brand though.

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I need a VRS kit.

Whats the best brand to get? Does ACL sell a VRS kit?

Dan..

·
hacksaw bandit
62 Posts
just ask for a VRS set.... the vrs stands for valve regrind set so it contains all the gaskets requred for a valve regrind.. head gasket, top timing cover seal, valve stem seals and rocker cover gasket.. the rocker cover gasket that usualy comes with the kits is a shitty cork one so i useualy buy one of the rubber ones if mine is getting a bit hard.
hope this helps..

cheers
Sam.

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks mate.. Now to go and get some prices..

Problem is my other mode of transport died too (ignition barrel broke) and so in this town I am limited to Ford, Repco and Auto Pro as opposed to the next town with 2 repcos, 2 fords, 2 super cheaps, an autobarn and all the other little hoodink places that sells engine parts..

Dan..

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah mate i'm right.. Victoria is a fair step away...

If I get desperate I'll go to ford... But I guess its something that Repco or Ford would have on stock or at least they should..

Dan...

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got an ACL Monotoque VRS kit and paid $169 from AutoPro for anyone thats interested. I know its probably not the best price but I had to get it today so I can pick the head up this afternoon to set it all up for a fun weekend.

Dan..

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whats the torque rating for the rocker gear bolts, and the timing chain top right guide bolt?

I can't seem to find these numbers in the manual I have but they may different names. The closest I can find are 25Nm and 30Nm respectively.

Dan..

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Sounds about right, just do it tight by hand and they'll be good.

·
Banned
599 Posts
Never EVER tighten the bolts by hand, i followed advice from a person i wont name, It was the first time i put a head on and i was none the wiser, i was advised to tighten the head bolts by hand, ended up when running the motor it lasted 1km, and the gasket blew, BOLTS TOO LOOSE!!!
Always use a torquewrench and tighten to the documented torque specifications.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Are you ****ing stupid matt, that's ROCKER GEAR BOLTS!!!
I NEVER told you to do your head up by hand! Bloody pay attention! I wondered where you got that stupid crap from.

·
Banned
599 Posts
Umm i was actually refeering to all bolts in general!
Yes Alex, when you say you didnt tell me to do anything in regard to installing that head, i am instantly reminded of how....'evading' of responsibility, you are.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Kiss my arse you little shit.
Why do you think I own a torque wrench? Is it because head bolts can be done up by hand do you think?
Come to that, didn't it occur to you to wonder why they print the torque specs on the packet of the head gasket? Do you think that's there because it's not necessary to use them?
And in any case, when did you do that head 1km ago? Last time I knew the head was off, was last year.

I repeat again. I did NOT, never have, and never will, tell you or anybody to do up head bolts by hand. If you got that off this thread, or from some completely different topic I may have talked about, that's your bad luck. But how DARE you try to blame your own incompetence on me - and try to convince my own brother, no less, that I'm as stupid as you?
You have no bloody idea how much you have pissed me off - do not push your luck.

·
Banned
599 Posts
At the time i did my head being the week you crashed somebody elses car. At the time Graham hadnt purchased his torquewrench yet, and your one was broken. Also my torque wrench was broken, who i might add - you broke and wont take responsibility for.
I admit, i was stupid enough to beleive you when you said by hand is enough, not thinking about the torque specs...But by what you were saying above about the torquespecs, why do you think they print the torque specs for the rocker gear in the ford manuals, hmm it must mean you can tell the people above,they can be done by hand also....interesting.
I got your advice from your mouth in person. Deny it as much as you want, but itll always stand true that this occured.
And at the time, i simply mentioned to Graham that you told me to do it this way, i never tried to lay the blame on you, and was never going to hold you responsible for it, if i did, i would have asked for the cash to fix it, but i havent.

And if you think im just blatantly blaming you for something that you may or maynot have done (in your eyes), then you will finally know how it feels like, when YOU have blamed me over the whole time working for your parents (thats right your parents not you, you havent got the persona to carry out leadership duties, Graham does though), for something i never did.
In general your not a overall bad person, but i think it is about time you should stand up and realise a few things...before you act like your been through everything that anyone could possibly experience in an infinite amount of time.

Matt

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
How is my torque wrench broken? It's a solid bar, you make sure the pointer's lined up then you use it.
Had you asked for the cash I would have asked for payment for all the work Graham and I have done for you rebuilding your bloody car for you from shit.
And for the painting I did on your doors, which you then wasted anyway.
The fact of the matter is, I've already rebuilt that engine for you at least once, put myself out to lend you my car, put myself out to help you with no return appreciation from you whatsoever. Graham and I have done so much free work for you, and given you so much advice, and then you start in with shit like this? Damn right I'm pissed!

And I wouldn't start into working for us if I was you, the reason you were asked to leave is the same. You cannot remember or follow the simplest request, and then expect people to believe you were not asked, or were told differently. You cannot pick up after yourself. You do not think before doing something, or while you're doing it. I refer to the lates incident, where you emptied your radiator all over my floor because you didn't think to do it outside on the gravel! My shed is covered in shit, I can't find most of my tools, you bitch about everybody you know behind their backs, and you get all shitty because I've finally had enough of you?
What you say frequently makes no sense, i.e. the last paragraph of the above post. When did I claim that? I am claiming better mechanical knowledge than you, that's all, which isn't hard really.

Even now I'm looking after your crap, free of charge. I'll end up disposing of the motor you killed, your old body shell, your old diff, etc.
Then I'll have to clean the shed.

You have until Sunday next week to move your stuff. I will be civil to you on meets, but do not expect free advice or any form of help from me ever again. You seem to expect me to do things for you rather than just offer advice - I am no longer interested.

Alex

·
Banned
599 Posts
Yeah funny thing with the torquewrench of yours, considering the pointer bar falls out. I think that classifys it as 'unworthy'. Obviously Graham aggress buying his own.
The painting you did on those doors, is SHIT, i could have done a better job, and ive never done it before. In regard to all the work youve done on my car, ive been appreciative, buying you such things as that floor-slider...And i also worked for you when you needed me to, considering you always sat up the house playing total annihilation all day. I also know youve been screwing me over inregard to the board i was paying and the fact i havent received my superannuation from you yet, but i havent complained for the exact reason youve done plenty of things to my car.
And with that last paragragh, you always act as if you know everything about
anything. Even though you basically be cooped up on a farm all ya life.

Your holding those doors because you screwed the up. That motor i just took out, its not dead, just not as good as my motor that i put in, well until i was mid-advised and the head ****ed up. And my old diff, by all means you can have it, i mean ill be so distraught from lossing it, but you can have it...Like itd matter having it on your farm anyways, have you seen all the junk you have, itll blend in...

And in regard to getting my stuff out of you place by Sunday, ill move my car by towing it, and ill attempt to fix it before Sunday so i can trailer the other stuff away, if i cant get it ready on time, well feel free to trash it all, the motor and doors are worth nothing to me, afterall i have 4 doors now that are a damnsight better.

And i cant wait for you to be civil on meets. And basically ive learnt that any advice from you is just dodgy advice, something id expect from a bad mechanic. So dont expect me to ask you for advice, because i would prefer my cars to be working, because as you can see i followed you advice, and my car isnt working...interesting.

Have a good think, before you open ya mouth...First for everything huh.

Matt

1 - 20 of 23 Posts