Engine location/driven wheels Front Rear

Fuel Unleaded

Compressor (intercooler)

Maximum speed mph (km/h) 190 (306)

Acceleration 0-62mph (s) 5.0

Acceleration 0-60mph (s)

Maximum power hp/PS 460 @ 6,500

Maximum torque lb ft @ 5,000

EU 96 std - urban fuel consumption mpg (l/100km) ()

EU 96 std - country fuel consumption mpg (l/100km) ()

Fuel tank capacity gallons (litres) 17.6 (80)

Overall length inches (mm) 183.7 (4,665)

Overall width inches (mm) 75.7 (1,923)

Overall height inches (mm) 51.9 (1,318)

Wheelbase inches (mm) 105.9 (2,690)

Kerb weight lbs (kg) 4,004 (1,820)

Load compartment capacity rear seat up to lower window cu ft (litres) 8.5 (240)

Load compartment capacity rear seat down to lower window cu ft (litres) 8.5 (240)

Load compartment capacity rear seat down to roof cu ft (litres) 8.5 (240)

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flying into view for the first time, the all-new V12 Vanquish promises to put the legendary British marque ahead of Porsche and Ferrari when it debuts in spring next year and, judging by Auto Express's first look at a production-ready machine, it seems as though it will certainly deliver.
One of the most visually powerful and imposing supercoupés from any manufacturer – let alone illustrious Aston Martin – the Vanquish's muscle-bound, jaw-dropping bodywork clothes some of the most advanced technology yet used on a road car.

Up until now, however, exact details of the British bruiser have been kept a closely guarded secret. Its arrival has been put back from next week's British Motor Show to the Geneva Show in March. Codenamed AMV03, rival companies would have paid handsomely to obtain the lowdown on the final production specification, which reads like something straight from Q's gadget lab in the Bond movies. Aluminium and carbon fibre construction, Formula One engine and transmission technology, state-of-the-art aerodynamics, cutting-edge electronics and a lavish interior specification are all part and parcel of the car's impressive repertoire.

If that's not enough to worry rivals, then the bare facts of the performance data should. One look at the statistics will convince the opposition that Aston is not messing about. The Vanquish will accelerate from 0-60mph in under 4.5 seconds, charge from 0-100mph in less than 10 seconds and reach a 190mph top speed – sufficient to stay on the pace with Ferrari's 550M and the Porsche 911 Turbo.

It's the Italian supercar which is the benchmark for the Vanquish. Ken Giles, Aston Martin's managing director, joked with Auto Express: "We know that car well! We've stripped, assessed and carried out rides and drives on the 550M and a number of other competitors. We're aiming for best-in-class quality, and won't launch the Vanquish until we get it 100 per cent right." That's why the company has delayed the arrival date by five months. It wants to get the build quality spot-on, so there will be a number of switchgear changes to the model pictured on these pages.

At the time of its inception, Aston Martin called its Project Vantage concept a "supercar of the future", adding that it "reflects all the essential elements of power, performance and driver involvement in a manner true to the traditions of Aston Martin".

Yet despite the rapturous reception it received from the press, public and Aston owners alike, the company said it had no plans for production. Well, we think you'll agree that Aston Martin can be forgiven for changing its mind. The Vanquish is one of the most breathtaking creations yet from the Newport Pagnell-based manufacturer.

Its taut and lithe lines have been penned by Ian Callum, the Jaguar and Aston Martin styling boss, who is credited with the DB7, among others. He has succeeded in creating a bold and dynamic look that builds on the DB7's solid foundation, while maintaining the family themes introduced with that car. All of the bodywork's panels, which do a wonderful job pleasing and teasing the eye, are hand-fashioned from aluminium for a perfect fit. There will be two variants of the interior; the first is a two-seater with maximum space for luggage, while the other is a 2+2 with a less spacious boot.

In terms of equipment, however, there will be no differences, as Aston bosses have made sure customers are well looked after. Inside the wonderful world of Vanquish they will find plush Connolly leather hide, Alcantara suede-type material and aluminium. There's power adjustment on the heated seats, air-conditioning, a quality audio system with an Alpine six-CD autochanger, a trip computer and automatic operation for the headlamps and wipers.

A satellite-navigation system is one of the few options, and ensuring the Vanquish is still where you parked it is an alarm and engine immobiliser set-up which operates in conjunction with the remote central locking.

The new model is not only important for Aston Martin. It also has great significance for parent company Ford. Within its impressive portfolio, the blue oval has positioned Aston Martin as the technical pioneer and innovator of the family. Beneath that stunning exterior lurks a potent cocktail of engineering know-how which promises to stun rival manufacturers.

The car is built around an advanced extruded aluminium tub complete with fully stressed carbonfibre sections for the windscreen, the transmission tunnel and impact-absorbing front chassis members. In addition, the independent double wishbone suspension is cast from aluminium and features anti-roll bars at both ends. The wheels are huge, with 255/40 ZR19 Yokohamas at the front and 285/40 ZR19s at the back. Another notable feature is an automatic tyre pressure sensing system, which warns of any abnormalities. All of this is powered by one of the best engines in the business – the all-alloy 6.0-litre V12, which is a development of the DB7's, and now produces 450bhp at 6,500rpm and 556Nm at 5,000rpm. Lighter components mean it revs more quickly and freely than the DB7's unit, and is quieter, too. It's also one of the greenest high-performance units yet, according to the company.

It is linked to a six-speed manual transmission, which has either automatic or hand-shifting like Ferrari's 360 F1, and can change gear in 250 milliseconds – less than the blink of an eye. A quick steering rack, with 2.7 turns lock-to-lock, should mean good responses from driver inputs, while massive ventilated and cross-drilled brakes with ABS and a traction control system ensure safe progress at all times. But no matter how much clever thinking has gone into designing and making this near-200mph supercar, avoiding weight gain was a mission impossible.

It tips the scales at 1,820kg, giving a 247bhp/tonne power-to-weight ratio. This compares with the 287bhp/tonne of the Ferrari 550M.

For those who have fallen in love with the elegantly savage styling of the Vanquish, but are not satisfied with the potency of the V12 powerplant, a solution may be in the pipeline.

Auto Express expects Aston Martin to launch a Vantage version of the Vanquish, with a near-600bhp power output. This matches that of the outgoing Vantage and fulfils the promise of the Project Vantage concept. All that remains to be seen is if the Vanquish lives up to its name... and conquers all that dare face up to it. That can only be decided on the road.

First opinion
We came away from a day in the company of Aston Martin's new flagship having fallen under its spell. It's sure to show that Britain's greatest sports car builder can match – and quite possibly exceed – the might of Ferrari, both technically and visually. We will find out when we drive the V12 Vanquish and see how these developments take the flagship forward, but for now it is a world away from the aged, brutal, yet exciting Virage, Coupé and Vantage.

At a glance
New V12 Vanquish debuts at Geneva Show in March
Guideline price is £170,000. Two-seater or 2+2 options
0-60mph under 4.5 seconds

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
HSE2 said:
Greedy boy I think one would do me!
Sorry.. I can't help it.. They're just soo nice.. :s6:

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Big Block Ford said:
Hey leave some for the rest of us.Hehe
Sorry mate. I see something I like and I get as many as I can! Hence no jellybeans at my place..

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Big Block Ford said:
Excellent write up HSE2. Top Job:thup: :thup:
Yeah a fair bit of cutting and pasting on that one.

Got your PM and understand will get back to you soon Thankyou!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ford Man said:

Sorry mate. I see something I like and I get as many as I can! Hence no jellybeans at my place..
I thought you may have been heading for a different colour for each day of the week

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
HSE2 said:
I thought you may have been heading for a different colour for each day of the week
Hehe.. nahh.. I love the grey too much.. I'd just take 3 of them!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ford Man said:

Hehe.. nahh.. I love the grey too much.. I'd just take 3 of them!
You would have three the same colour??? Guess you would save on touch up paint eh

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
HSE2 said:
You would have three the same colour??? Guess you would save on touch up paint eh
So the theory goes anyway!.. makes panels more interchangable should a corner be "fluffed"..

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
HSE2 said:
Ah I would never had thought of that!
I'm a paint guy remember.. Anything that requires less painting the better!!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ford Man said:

I'm a paint guy remember.. Anything that requires less painting the better!!
I go the other way. Any pannel that needs touch up requires a complete respray.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
HSE2 said:
I go the other way. Any pannel that needs touch up requires a complete respray.
Hence the 3 cars to swap panels.. no respray required!!

·
Administrator
5,159 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that a Hollywood star had ordered two.It may have been Russell Crowe.I remember flicking past it somewhere.
You beat him with 3 tho Ford Man

1 - 20 of 22 Posts