Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
VDC Advance Trac explained... I optioned it on my Zetec and I have loved it, saved my arse at least once when I least expected it. This is a brilliant review, discovered hidden stuff on the fordfocus website!!!

The bonus is it's switchable which rocks, can turn it off if you wanna have a go, have a drag or just wanna have fun, although it's perfectly tuned I reckon to not be too intrusive around corners, just the traction control is a little too strong for me... then again I break traction FAR too much :angel:

Enjoy! http://www.fordfocus.com.au/home/press_releases/pdf/press_release_04.pdf

·
Registered
202 Posts
First time I drove the ST170 we drove it quite hard around some twisty bits and it was one of the first things I turned off. It's a good safety net on an unknown road or in the wet, but in the dry I found it was a bit intrusive, I want a wheel to spin sometimes. But, I'm just glad you can turn it off. The same VDC is also used on the Alfa 147 and 156 GTAs and the press gave the system good reviews.

Has anyone fitted the Quaife LSD to an ST170 or a car with the VDC installed? With VDC being an electronic form of traction/stability control, how would this interact with the LSD? Do you have to disconnect it?

·
the fOCUS Family
56 Posts
too bad auto's can't have them.

·
Registered stingy user
208 Posts
Hmmm - Mine hardly ever comes on. I take the odd corner. It may be my tyres though? I'll look this up.

·
the fOCUS Family
56 Posts
went to royal national part today and boy the roads in the park are so rough, did 100km in the park and some corners are so sharp, almost lost it a few times at high speed, wish i had the VDC. i've never took the focus on such a rough ride since the day i got it... wow... when you push it to the limit it performs well than i thought. too bad VDC's can't be fitted on auto.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi plps.

I am currently looking around my local ford dealers for a 5 door 2003 zetec with the 17" wheel option.

The thing i would like to know is what people with VDC Advancetrac realy think about it. What's it like doing hard corners with and without it in places like the national park and old pacific hwy?

I have found a fair few foci with the 17" rims, but I was wondering if it would be worth my while to keep looking for one with the VDC Advancetrac option.

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
Its a good option, can get you out of trouble if you get yourself really into it.

Saying that on the drive i went on, on the weekend, i left it active and compared to the other ST170 that was there without it, i was lagging behind a bit...

If i had the choice i would never have optioned it on my car, as i wanted cruise control instead... take cars with and without it for a spin and see

Beifall

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for that Fordel.

The salesman offered to take me out in his own ST170 to see what it was like but I didn't realy bother at the time.
The zetec handled realy well and took the corners realy tight when I drove it.

Just wondering how it goes in the wet? Does it become more usefull when in the rain. My theory is to turn it off in the dry and run it in the wet.

I think I will take your advise and try out the car with advance trac, but I might do it in the wet.

·
Linux User
214 Posts
The VDC advancetrac on my zetec is always on. I never bother turning it off, it resets itself every time you start the car. It's unobtrusive in normal driving and certainly helps when you hit dirt mid corner. As far as in the wet, I haven't noticed it kicking in too often, but it makes for one hell of a surefooted ride.

The best time to test it all out would definitely be when it's raining.

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
I used it once in the rain, coming down a steep hill round some bends was hammering it around them, hooked up nicely in the wet, didnt mind it all there

Chris

·
2,922 Posts
Just remember, if you pay extra to let the car do the fun stuff, you can kiss Cruise Control goodbye.

Cheers.. Tim!

·
Zetec Is Better Than VTEC
184 Posts
I'd choose VDC over cruise control anyday.
Cruise control is a creature comfort where as VDC is a safety feature.
I know i've felt it kick in one time in the rain whilst i was going around a corner was good help) but normally in the dry i would turn it off, but i'm happy ford installed it for free when i got my car.

Cheers
James

·
2,922 Posts
I'd never buy AdvancTrac as I never want to give up complete control of my car, can't stand these driving aids personally. I know what my car is doing and when it is doing it. I feel less safe when the car just cuts in and does something I don't expect, another reason I love my manuals. But if you aren't as experienced or don't want to worry bout it, such as a car for my mom, I'd buy it.

Cruise is more valuable to me, makes longer trips more pleasant and less draining, and also less likely to get busted speeding due to a moment of creeping over the speed limit. I really feel alot more tired after driving without it, and being more fatigued I feel less aware and less safe. Hence the slogan stop, revive, survive. I miss it from my last car (Falcon) and will be getting it installed next service.

Just my opinion, and I understand others.

Cheers... Tim

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
admittedly when you drive like a plain dickhead sometimes (MAtt raises both hands and feet) it has good value, and speaking to Lincoln this arvo he has fanged the ST170 on dirt roads on his trip down to Adelaide and RAVES about the VDC. I don't do enough highway driving to worry about cruise, obviously someone like Tim does. Personally I'd love both, but if it's cost for cost like it was when i bought my car, it's VDC all the way. Cruise rocks, but I'm happy with my VDC, very Happy. Plus it's COMPLETELY switchable and when I have a go i turn it off most times.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lincoln the ST170 is far too classy to take on a dirt road. Mine has not even been outside of Adelaide yet. Bit too protective of the car with stone chips. I still think that the VDC is far too intrusive when you want to give the car a bit. The ST170 has lots of power & easily looses traction from a standing start & through gears with the VDC off. Turning it on & trying the same thing, makes the car loose power from the start & also when changing gears. Probably good if you don't want to wear those excellent continental tyres out, but a bit embarrasing when the car boggs down from first to second.

Regards Mark

·
Registered
202 Posts
No car is too good for dirt roads! I expect my cars to take me where I want to go. I didn't go on dirt roads to go on dirt roads, I go on them to get somewhere. If a car is "too good", I'll be buying a different car.

Matt, I'm not RAVING about the VDC! I'm saying it's very impressive, but I've coped without it on other cars which are trickier to handle, so I don't see why I need it in this car.

As Chris said, on the drive on the weekend, I pulled away from him signifcantly out of tight bends where I had it off and he had it on. I was keeping up with the VTS and GTi6, where Chris was dropped very quickly.

As far as stability and traction control goes it's VERY good. Probably the best out there. But, I don't think it's necessary for such a great handling car. It does work well in the wet, I've tried it out doing some stupid things to really test it and you'd really have to do something stupid to go off the road. However, it does breed bad driving.

After being pulled over for speeding today, I'd prefer cruise control anyday. I'll be looking at after market jobbies in the very near future.

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
Bugger to hear about the speeding Lincoln!
I would go cruise anyday, i do enjoy doing lots of highway driving and it would be awesome to have with that, really wonder if there ia an aftermarket version I can install.

If i had the VDC off I also wouldnt have had a problem keeping up with the other cars, also held back a bit as g/f was in the car with me and I scare her enough with my driving as it is hehe.

It is a great system as I found out through the hills that day... but i would still prefer to not have it as would rather know what the car is doing and handle the car to its(my?) limits myself.

Chris

·
Registered
202 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem fitting after market jobbies, they just use a vacuum on the throttle cable. As we have throttle cables, I don't see why there would be a problem. The guys on ffoc.co.uk have bought the US SVT parts and fitted it, but it comes with a different coloured steering wheel, and that's just naff. AUSCRUISE will be what I'll be looking at. It has a different stalk which will look out of place, but it's worth it. I got pulled over in a spot I know there would be police and it was literally an accidental flex of the right foot that got me booked.

BTW, I got pulled over, didn't say I got a ticket! Just a caution for doing 122 in a 1110 zone.

·
Registered
202 Posts
OK, so i'll eat my words. I managed to ruin a Conti on the drive back from the Flinders, perhaps whilst I was up there, not sure. A sidewall puncture and a sidewall failure. Sigh.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts