Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a Focus Mk2 2.0TDCi(219000km) and my usual fuel consumption on the highway is around 6.0l-6.5l/100km. Thats around 13km on the highway then 3-5km city. Which is my usual route. But recently my fuel consumption went to around 7.3l-7.7l/100km. On the exact same route. I drive around 2k rpm on 6th gear, around 120km/h which is usually the optimal speed for good fuel cons.
Temps outside : 5C-12C
I usually warm up my engine within 3-5minutes of driving because the motorway is really close to my house.
I should be getting around 5.5l - 6.0l /100km, but im getting around 7.5l/100km which is just way too high.
Normal driving(non motorway) on 4th gear, is when it definitely goes down but its still higher than usual. The biggest issue is on the motor way.

Any idea why it could have gone up like this ? I have done nothing different, no part replacements or anything. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me.

·
Super Moderator
20,699 Posts
Could be your air filter needs replaced and / or injectors need servicing .Also with weather and seasonal changes you tend use more accessories .

P.s
Easier if you give mpg fuel figure comparisons

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be your air filter needs replaced and / or injectors need servicing .Also with weather and seasonal changes you tend use more accessories .

P.s
Easier if you give mpg fuel figure comparisons
Hey , thanks for the reply.

converted to mpg :
What I should be getting - 50mpg
What I am getting - 38mpg

I can check the air filter , which should be easy. Is there an easy way to check out the injectors and their conditions ?

·
Super Moderator
20,699 Posts
I would do the easy things first . Check / replace air filter and if not been done for a while , change fuel filter also . I would also try using a injector cleaning additive before getting too involved and incurring possibly unneeded work and costs .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would do the easy things first . Check / replace air filter and if not been done for a while , change fuel filter also . I would also try using a injector cleaning additive before getting too involved and incurring possibly unneeded work and costs .
Great advice , thanks.

Any other thoughts as to what it could be ?

·
Super Moderator
20,699 Posts
Simple things like correct engine oil , tire pressures and turning off aircon when not needed all help mpg .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have you put a scanner on it to check if you got any codes recently?
I checked and nothing comes up at all...I tried higher grade diesel, changed oil (exact one that is in the manual) , changed air filter...and still too high.

·
Super Moderator
20,699 Posts
With a Ford Focus of that year and mileage you will see a drop of MPG figures compared to published figures . Also on non motorway use 5th gear more

Reduced fuel economy.
If you notice a sudden and ongoing decrease in your fuel economy, this could be due to worn injectors. Worn injectors burn more fuel to achieve the required performance output.

The lifespan of a diesel fuel injector
Diesel fuel injectors generally have a shorter lifespan than their predecessors, meaning they need to be replaced more frequently for optimal performance. The life expectancy of a good quality diesel fuel injector is around 150,000 kilometres. They should be checked out by a professional at around this time. The cost is variable, but is generally around the $300 to $500 mark.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts