Ford Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Adverse weather and UK grinds to a halt .
Complete opposite over here around Chicago. Heavy fog limiting visibility to a few hundred feet? Blizzard condition? Pft. People flying down the interstates at over 70mph. Heck, at one point I was dumb enough to cruise at that speed during a torrential downpour in my Marauder. At least the Falkens I had installed were rock stars at preventing hydroplaning. The old tires on my Buick sucked so bad they hydroplaned in light rain at 60mph.

In other news, the temps dropped into the 40s today, and should be in the 30s by Saturday. So, crossing my fingers I'll have this all figured out by dinner time on Saturday.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well, the initial test in the cold wasn't so great. It decided it didn't want to start up right away, like it's done all winter long, and began by running rough. So, I'll try again in a little while once it's cooled off in the hopes that it'll behave lie it has previously.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Ok, second test a few hours later gave me what I wanted. The engine started fine then dropped into a rough idle within a few seconds. Vacuum was normal around 20psi until it started running rough, at which time it dropped to around 15psi. Tapped the choke plate to open it by a tiny fraction, idle smoothed out and vacuum returned to 20psi.

I have the new pull off installed with a fresh vacuum line. Once the engine has cooled for a couple hours I'll come back out and check again.

It certainly cools quickly now that it's down to the 20s around here, makes it great for testing, but not so great on the hands.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ok, it seems to be all good now. I'm going to wait a while for it to get all real nice and cold and check one more time before declaring it fixed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Problem looks to be solved. Started and ran without a rough idle later in the day yesterday, and same thing today. No more cold weather rough running.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Started up the old wagon yesterday, with below freezing temps and not having been started for a couple days. No rough idle. Same thing today with the temps in the low 30's. Replacing the choke pull-off did the trick.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts