Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I am new to the ford group and am trying to get some help determining a problem going on with my truck.
Its a 2001 ford F350 Super-Duty 7.3 XLT
For some reason it has a vibration when accelerating and slowing down/stopping (very speratic when slowing down. Doesn't always happen) and then the transmission shifts really hard and sometimes doesn't shift. It has a brand new trans in it. Its still all silver and pretty but it should be broke in by now. Anything helps and i can try to state any other symptoms if need be to determine what it is. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,687 Posts
Check your driveshaft "U" joints and the slip joint for excessive wear. Keep the slip joint lubed.

·
Super Moderator
1,687 Posts
Do you have a two piece drive shaft? (Probably so if you have a long wheelbase truck) It is the joint where the two driveshaft halves connect, right at the carrier bearing. You must drop the driveshaft to lube the slip joint, but you have to do that to check your "U" joints anyway. That will also allow you to inspect the slip joint at the trans tailshaft, for wear. Also, check your carrier bearing for wear when you have the driveshaft out. Any wear in any of these parts will cause the vibration you mentioned. Mark the driveshaft halves before disassembly so you can keep them indexed. They are a balanced assembly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone I am new to the ford group and am trying to get some help determining a problem going on with my truck.
Its a 2001 ford F350 Super-Duty 7.3 XLT
For some reason it has a vibration when accelerating and slowing down/stopping (very speratic when slowing down. Doesn't always happen) and then the transmission shifts really hard and sometimes doesn't shift. It has a brand new trans in it. Its still all silver and pretty but it should be broke in by now. Anything helps and i can try to state any other symptoms if need be to determine what it is. Thank you
Inspect your driveshaft for any dents. The driveshaft needs to be perfectly balanced at high and low speeds.

·
Super Moderator
1,687 Posts
Another thought; did the person/shop who installed the new transmission index the driveshaft properly?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts