Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Mmmm, forbidden donut
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that Vic police now only seem to use VT and VX SS V8s, a year or two ago there were XR8's everywhere. Is this just a power thing? Now that the XR8 has 220kw I wonder if they will start to use them again...we all know they handle a lot better...or are they too tight on the $$$ to pay for the PULP?

G

·
0 Posts
I can't see why not now that there is a 220kw XR8... should be close in power.
I thought SS's run on PULP as well?.

The WA Police are doing the opposite and are getting rid of their V8 Commodores and replacing them with V6's saying that they will do the job as pursuit cars.
I would imagine that they will be supercharged though they didn't mention anything about it.

·
EL Fairmont Ghia Member
190 Posts
The Victorian Police, in which I am a member of, use the SS commodores for one reason. They are a hell of alot quicker than the XR8's. Both have had their quality concerns. We also use the WRX's, but speaking to many a toggie, they prefer the SS's, as they are more roomie(allows for the McGuts to fit in)and over 150kmph the SS's eat the WRX's up. Some have said they prefer the XR8's handling, interior etc, but it lacks the go, or the business end of things.

The 220kw motor, a little more top end, I am not sure exactly on torgue, but really no great performance increase. Still a dated motor that simply lacks the cubes or tech upgrades(ie OHC's).

A couple of years ago we were still running XR8s as they were a hell of alot better than the early VT's.

Speaking of the SS. I was in one the other day with a Toggie, and we were pulling out of a McDonalds car park, and in reverse were getting a horrible crunching sound from the diff. He said it is common.................

Jas

p.s Toggie = TMU (Transport Management Unit) "Mad Dogs Chase Cars"

·
Administrator
4,980 Posts
Vilkas:It's good to have someone here that works in an area that is putting cars through some real time testing.I think what you have said about the XR8's pretty much sum's up most of our feelings here too.Nice car but needs more grunt ,cubes esp,plus tech upgrades.Having said that,the Windsor has been an awesome engine for Ford over a very long period.I think they have been used for almost everything.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
You'd think the Vic cops could afford to buy HSVs and T series strokers given all the money they're making from taking pictures in the name of road safety...:mad:

·
EL Fairmont Ghia Member
190 Posts
Oh yes, if Victoria Police were getting the funds from all the motorists breaking the laws we sure would make a better wage/salary than we do now, and I could have kept my XR8........

The government gets that money!!!!! What happens to it then, you tell me.........most likely overseas fact finding missions, conferences at 5 star resorts..............

·
7,777 Posts
VilkasMaximus said:
Oh yes, if Victoria Police were getting the funds from all the motorists breaking the laws we sure would make a better wage/salary than we do now, and I could have kept my XR8........
The government gets that money!!!!! What happens to it then, you tell me.........most likely overseas fact finding missions, conferences at 5 star resorts..............
I had dinner recently with a member of the ACT legislative assembly. The issue of them recently introducing speed cameras came up :)wink2: :p ) and he/she (no names) said the budget had been allocated even before the cameras were introduced. The problem they are having is revenue is much higher than they anticipated. Meanwhile, the ACT has an extremely low road toll. Go figure.
Vilkas - are you GD or HP?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The LS1 cars eat LSD for breakfast. Every LS1 car the AFP has, has had the diff replaced at least twice. BTW the ACT has the fastest pursuit car in the country, unmarked LS1 6 speed VX, so when you guys are here watch out for a dark blue VX with a big set of lights in the front.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Queanbeyan has a Black VX SS unmarked (not sure if its 6speed or not though) , saw the prick fly past me doing 90 or so in a 70 zone for no apparent reason at all :fmad: :fmad: :fmad:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Crap! I'll have to warn a friend of mine to be good while she delivers Pizza! I know Queanbeyan used to have a couple of unmarked LS1 Execs but they are all autos. Oh well better then the Volvo the ACT is about to get! And I mean the T5 sedan as a traffic pursuit car.

·
7,777 Posts
FTEfan said:
Crap! I'll have to warn a friend of mine to be good while she delivers Pizza! I know Queanbeyan used to have a couple of unmarked LS1 Execs but they are all autos. Oh well better then the Volvo the ACT is about to get! And I mean the T5 sedan as a traffic pursuit car.
The ACT Police actually already have a Volvo V70 T-5 Wagon. It's a new generation V70 and replaced the previous V70R. The new one is fully marked.

On the issue of HPs in Queanbeyan, many years ago I did NRMA part time around Queanbeyan, Monaro Hwy. Got done by one of the HP guys for 74 in a 60. Told him I had a backlog and was trying to catch up. It was middle of winter and trust me when I say some people don't plan to break down on the way to the snow. He wrote me up anyhow.

About five weeks later, guess who needed the NRMA :?: :evil: :evil2: I took four hours to get that car going (LOL)

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
The ACT Police actually already have a Volvo V70 T-5 Wagon. It's a new generation V70 and replaced the previous V70R. The new one is fully marked.
First one they had went through a brick wall in civic trying to catch a WRX. Around 5 weeks old and fully written off.... Our boys had to clean up the mess.. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I know about the 2 Volvo wagons, even have the police catalogue for them! I am talking about the new T5 sedan which the senior traffic officer told me they were looking at as a pursuit car. Even my mate in the AFP thinks that it should be interesting. The police really liked the Magna sports as well!

·
7,777 Posts
Ford Man said:
First one they had went through a brick wall in civic trying to catch a WRX. Around 5 weeks old and fully written off.... Our boys had to clean up the mess.. :eek: :eek:
Actually, showing how tough Volvos are, that car was repaired.

These Volvos are commonly used for pursuit work overseas. My 850R had the pursuit brake kit - larger calipers, 325mm two piece rotors, reinforced hoses, large hi-temp pads. Man that thing stopped! Not sure if current V70 has a similar kit available yet. When I was considering an S60 T-5 there was next to no upgrades yet.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The T5 sedan will make it number 5. The first wagon was a total loss and was displayed at what is now Rolfe Volvo before it was sent back to the factory I was told. The current wagons are a V70 for traffic, actually pursuit rated, and a XC for the mounties. The reseason why so many is because a high ranking traffic cop is a Volvo master mechanic as well as a complete and utter loony!. Good thing Volvo is part of Ford or we'll look really strange.

says he as he checks for cheap volvo turbo wagon!

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
Actually, showing how tough Volvos are, that car was repaired.
Hate to tell ya pete, but she was a write off. $70k worth of volvo down the tubes. Saw it with my own eyes. It was a mess. Not a straight panel left on it. Volvo were generous enough to give the ACT bacon and brand spanker 'cause no-one was seriously injured in the accident. Goes to show the safety of Volvo. A Ford Motor Company ~ Company

·
7,777 Posts
Are we talking about the blue one? If so, it was involved in the accident and DEFINITELY repaired. I am looking for the details at present...... Now where did I put that?????????

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
There was two blue ones and a white one... first sucker was a write off.. not sure of the colour but i believe it was the light blue one???... :confused:

·
7,777 Posts
Here we go, Volvo data:

Indirect quote on the Police Volvo evaluation of V70R vehicle:
"The vehicle was driven for a total of 17000km..... During the trial period, the vehicle was involved in a major front end collision in the course of a police pursuit..."

It then goes on to say the car was returned in exchange for a New V70 T-5. The V70R was metallic blue in colour although it was a later build V70R distinguishable by retro 16 inch alloys (down from 17), 4WD and 195kW engine. It also had the tan interior.

(There was only one blue one in the old shape. All the white one/s are New V70)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
12 Participants
VilkasMaximus
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing