Ford Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just changing a rear light bulb in my XR6 and noticed that the VIN sticker on the boot (which is plastered on every body panel) is different than from the rest of the car. The build date of the boot is March 1994 (JGSWRS79725) , the rest of the car is December 1993 and according to the Manual the car wasnt sold till May 1994.

Should I be worried?

:dead:

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Martin,

I wouldn't worry too much if it has been in an accident as long as it's repaired well. Most cars during sometime of it's life will have suffered minor panel damage. Even from daily wear and tear of stoen chips will often require a respray of the front bumper and bonnet, hence they have to take it off the car.

With regards to your boot, check if the panel lines up right, and the colour is blended correctly. Polynesian green needs to be blended or else one panel can look more blue or green than the other.
IF all is ok, i wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Ford dropped the pannel id partly for this very reason. People were changing pannels for reasons other than an accidents.

I wouldn't be worried at all unless you find chassis rail damage from underneath

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
hey... I got a 8/93 ED XR8, and when I took the dash out to I noticed that the sticker on the back of the guages says "Sprint"

The Sprint wasnt around untill a few months after my car was made.

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
kelli, i hope you went for a quick run around the block after reading that:s3 :s3 :s3 :s3 :s3

Martin, Maybe somebody had removed or damaged the spoiler or pulled it off at some stage, thus damaging the boot??????????

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replys!

I had a good look today and the panel gaps around the boot and 1/4 panels are pretty much straight and even. The paint colour is also perfect from what I can tell.

But I was thinking that if it is a replacement boot then it would have been from another car right? Not an actual Spare Part? because a genuine Spare Part wouldnt have a VIN on it?

Did only the XRs have these VIN stickers?

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
I think it might have been something shifty at ford, i remember a few months ago when i pulled my number plate off the the front bumper had a different VIN on the sticker. As far as i can tell it's never been off.

Martin check the bolts that hold the boot on the hinges as see if they've ever been off...

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jase_ELXR8 said:
I think it might have been something shifty at ford, i remember a few months ago when i pulled my number plate off the the front bumper had a different VIN on the sticker. As far as i can tell it's never been off.

Martin check the bolts that hold the boot on the hinges as see if they've ever been off...
The Nuts look untouched!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If anyone is interested, I found out what car the boot is from.
Its from a 1994 ED XR Auto in the same colour as mine and ive even got the rego number.

Anyone know how to get in contact with this person? To see if they have my boot?

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Martin said:
If anyone is interested, I found out what car the boot is from.
Its from a 1994 ED XR Auto in the same colour as mine and ive even got the rego number.

Anyone know how to get in contact with this person? To see if they have my boot?
Why

Did you pack the inners of the boot with illegal drugs., cash etc????

·
Dual Exhaust Warrior™
1,172 Posts
laminge said:
WhyDid you pack the inners of the boot with illegal drugs., cash etc????
Hehe.. exactly... not like you found the original engine block out of your phase 3 in someone elses car or something. Its only a panel mate.. but then again you could be fussy like me and want everything matching.. : )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.