Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guyz i need a bit of help...im in need of a car and carnt spend 2 much..(student).....iv found a VL commodore 5speed...looks good...but no power steering..r they tight on the steering?....i dont no much about the VL...r they reliable?.....
thanx

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
i think perhaps you're on the wrong forums?!

All I know is an EF will give a VL a thorough caning - well, thats what they told me anyway! Havent tried it yet! :wnc:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dude if i had enuf cash...id be buying an EF..hehehe..

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
Why would he by an EF if he doesn't have a lot of cash? Thats like saying "Dude, by an M3 it will give the VL an absolute thrashing..."

Back on topic - VL's are generally accepted as being one of the best Commodore Holden Built, mainly because of the sweet sweet RB30 nissan motor pulling it along. I doubt you'll find the steering heavy, its not like your trying to drive a shitta XF tank. On that note, stay as far away from X-Series falcons as you can, unless of course you 'did' have money, then you'd be getting a 351 clevo powered XE now wouldn't you ;)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
94ED_Fairmont said:
VL's are generally accepted as being one of the best Commodore Holden Built, mainly because of the sweet sweet RB30 nissan motor pulling it along.
Make sure it has a towbar, you'll need a trailer to carry enough crank angle sensors to get you home from a long trip.

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
Ok fine fine, you can nit-pick all day, but remember if he bought a Ford he'd have to get a towbar for all the head gaskets, ball joints, 4speed gear boxes and busted power window motors...

·
Banned
421 Posts
geez guys take it easy...

EATDST the VL is a good cheap, generally reliable car (parts are readily available), due to the already stated fact that it has a very good nissan engine powering it. combined with low weight and good looks, i think it would be a good buy if u didnt have much cash.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thankx guyz heeps...

94ED_Fairmont:..yeah i think the streeing will be oright...

thanx 4 all the help....oh and like dont get me rong im a ford man but i gota take things into acount....so the VL is lookn good.

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
vl should be better on fuel than a XF or an EA.. light on the front so steering will be ok.

cheap buy and its transport to uni so yeh.

5sp means someone will alwyas wanna buy it and you can get a set of 17"s very cheap if ya want it lookin trick.

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
Good work EATDST - I am a Ford man too, but seriously they aren't the best cars in the world, hence why i am buying a new Liberty RX instead of another Ford. All the best mate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
yer mate i own a vl auto with power steering, and i test drove a manual without powersteering. the manual is definately a much better car, i wouldnt recommend buying an auto. powersteering is not really an issue, as the power steering is very light, and one without p/s is not difficult to drive at all. as someone else said, you can easily sell it because there is a much greater demand for vl manuals than auto's.

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
I was under the impression that power steering was standard on VLs. I wouldnt buy one, they are more expensive than falcons of the same era and are often in very poor condition. that said, if you got one at the right price and condition they arnt a bad car. the 5 speed can be quite expensive to rebuild though, my mate parted with $1400 to fix his - so make sure its good! the engines are quite robust, tappets can be noisy at times so listen for them. one of the biggest problems isnt mechanical though, its the security problem. they are easy to break into and they are a favourite with joyriders.

·
Registered
582 Posts
heres what i know about VLs correct me if im wrong
engine is good but cracked heads common as hell on turbos.. radiator cap off and see if she bubbles, also check the oil cap if its milky, walk away.

power steering should be ok they are not a heavy car

if you blow the gearbox you can get skyline boxes from jap wreckers from $400 bucks upwards.

crank angle sensors seem to be the weakest links in these cars (turbo and N/A)

look for rust at the base of the front and back windows(very common)

the headlight fuse in the fuse box melts so replace with an inline type(better thermally)

air conditioning controls are almost ancient compared to fords of the same era(at least the ford ones worked when you drove out of the dealers hehe)

try and get an 87 model if you can (86 models that i know of arnt as good in my experience)

all in all its an old car now but like they said its one of the best commos ever made.

hope this helps
ps if your interested and near wollongong my brother in law might be selling his soon its non turbo but has been worked (head, cam, compression, extractors and chip 190 kw at the flywheel) its red and has just been resprayed 5 speed manual box.
hate to admit it but it does go pretty good 1200kgs helps a bit!!

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
tx3dude said:
air conditioning controls are almost ancient compared to fords of the same era(at least the ford ones worked when you drove out of the dealers hehe)
ahaha yeah, you ever tried to fix one of them? all the vacuum hoses are numbered from the factory but the tags fall off............. ****ing nightmare lol

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
EA 5 Speed... get em next to nothin!!! and if its cfi convert it to mpfi... beter than a vl any day!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts