Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive been looking at another car for myself other then my work car and dont really know which one is better out of the SS / XR8. Obviously being Ford forums we all want fords but I am taking a different approach, which ever car has the most stuff for the less money, and a the best resale wins.

Features that the SS have over the XR8 include:
1. 18 inch Wheels standard - and bridgestone tyres - im not a Dunlop fan.
2. 6 Stack CD player
3. Racing Pedals
4. Heaps of toys to play with if your that way inclinded, for example the radio station is shown on the Trip computer screen just under the speedo/tacho setup.
5. Leather rapped gearshifter/handbrake leaver.
6. Trip computer screen which is easier to read.

Features that the XR8 have over the SS are:
1. Extra 15 Kws - which apparently doesnt give it any advantage over the SS.
2. A nicer body shape.
3. Maybe a better dash setup, but I can live with either.
4. Adaptshift Auto
5. Better Aircon controls in the standard setup - eg. ss with no leather or climate control.
6. Bonnet buldge!

Now both these cars are currently cheap to buy at the moment, and have plenty of room for you to bargin with, so moneywise you could probarly say that they are both around the same price at about $50,000 drive away depending on what options you got on either. As for the resale well both models are in a vunerable situation, as the VY is seen by many as being ugly and ofcourse those GEN III problems which have apparenlty been fixed have given it a bit of a lashing in the public eye(those who are interested that is), compared to the XR8 which has its little Turbo brother which is like 5 k cheaper and faster bashing its sales around.

As for the SS having the bigger rims and the six stacker, this really doesn't bother me, but does make the SS a sweeter deal.

The final vote.

After last nights trip to the motorshow, and a comparison between the XR8 and the SS as they were pretty much only metres away from one another the biggest thing that sold the SS was the fact that it has HEAPS of legroom. I am about 190 cm's tall and im a big bloke. I always feel cramped in the Falcon with my right knee pushed up against the door handle. In the SS i had heaps more room and felt really comfortable. Another fact that i thought was really interesting was that if you buy leather in the SS you get climate control as well, which for me is another point which would push me further towards the Commodore.

Now the question is which one is better? They both have their good points and bad points, but how do you determine which one to buy???? I like both cars alot but neither of them stand out as being the better one, and i can't have two :driver:.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What kind of responses are you hoping to get by posting such a question in a Ford Forum? Of course you should go the BA XR8, unless you have shares in an oil company!
And if you are in sydney, go to Brad Garlic Ford. I was there yesterday and they had a Herrod enhance brand new BA XR8 with 300kW ( courtesy of a twin exhaust, aftermarket bodykit, CAI, lowered and cobra stripes ) for $50k.
But it sounds like you ahve already resigned yourself to an SS...

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah im open to either, i just cant really decide, they both have there good and bad points.

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
if i could put in my 2c........

18" rims are only good if you can afford the tyres to go round them! NSW Police are bringing in more BA's because they have real issues with tyre wear on the VY's, naturally you wouldnt be driving it the way they do but still its a point to remember.

VY's interior is fugly to say the least (IMHO anyway). A lot of places where dust and crap can fall and settle, so if you like a clean car, maybe not the way to go.

You mentioned more buttons and fun stuff, Im the same - the more gauges and dials the better for me, but in a review Carpoint counted something like 78 buttons in the interior of the WK Statesman. Not the same model I know, but do you really want THAT many buttons!

You said VY SS has 'racing pedals' - BA's have them too. Standard as well!

GENIII, well that is something you'll need to make your mind up on yourself, but remember HFV6 comes online in the third quarter of this year, so resales on the Holdens might be affected by that, dont know.

In all honesty if i were you I'd be more than happy with either, but just looking at the spec lists, the Ford does come out in front for more features, quality and value for money.

And can you honestly tell me you couldn't stand looking over a bulge in front of the windscreen?! Come on! :p

·
V8 ute driver!
984 Posts
Standard XR8 with an 7 grand blower kit was puttin out 492 rwhp at the holden ford show here in adelaide which is pretty damn impressive!
Although LS1edit.com.au had a Vortech blower kit advertised for 4550+Gst!!!!! Dunno how or why it's so cheap!!
But either way it's a win win situation for buyers of both sides at the moment with the cars for sale from holden or ford. A great time for enthusiasts i reckon!

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeh the more i think about it the more i wanna go for the ford with premium sound, I love the TFT screen - looks classy.

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The biggest problem is LEG ROOM!!!!

Holden has miles of it, Ford needs a bit more.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Some random thoughts;

l think the VY SS looks great, pick of the VY bunch. Its almost as if the SS was designed first and the exec last instead of the other way round. the exec looks like a stripped SS, which l never thought when looking at the earlier models.

Agree the leather and C/Control is a tempting option that would sway me towards the SS.

Hate how the Commie has springs that intrude into the boot area, plastic fuel filler cap and no split fold rear seat.

Potentially better economy out of the VY, but it may be harder on its tyres.

Love the 18's on the SS, Holden have had it over Ford when it comes to wheel designs for a while IMO.

Brake shudder could be a problem with the BA, not sure how common this is with the VY.

Which would have better resale would be hard to pick for the reasons you gave, so l wouldnt even take that into account when deciding.

The 6 spd in the SS is nice.

The interior in the BA feels nicer and looks more modern. Love the ICC colour screen if you option prem sound.

The sound system in the SS is crap, the VY1 didnt even have rear parcel shelf speakers, not sure about VY2.

l wouldnt let the oil consumption problems of the Gen 3 put you off, Ford has issues of its own such as driveline shunt. Unfortuantley its a bit of a lottery.

The XR's Quad cam V8 and bonnet bulge are horn!

Which would l buy? Dont know, would have to drive both before deciding. Good to see you are looking for the best car for your 50 grand instead of blind brand loyalty though.

·
More horsepower required
612 Posts
I drive my mates VY2 ute quite often and the ride is nothing short of ordinary. It handles like a boat, and every bump is felt . For an everyday driver , the Ford is streaks ahead. His is a Gen3 , has 9000 odd on the clock , and the motor is suffering rattles already. Minor monthly oil usage , but no piston slap as of yet , but rather noisy for 9000k.
He and I both agree that the Ford has a nicer ride , and the VY is better equipped inside . Its still a nice car to look at inside and out , but lacks a decent drivetrain .

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
Another fact that i thought was really interesting was that if you buy leather in the SS you get climate control as well, which for me is another point which would push me further towards the Commodore.
If you can wait just aaaalittle longer there will be a little option on XR that may satisfy that desire + more...

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
mate just test drive them both. choose the one u feel comfortable with. no criticisms here if u buy the commodore. as i have posted before in the pub, i have driven a VY2 SS and it was enjoyable but certainly had its flaws. goodluck anyway with ur decision and let us know how u decide.

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
If leg room is an issue, and you have concerns that it would affect your safety, i would have to say don't look at the Falcon. If it's just a comfort thing, then perhaps you need to spend a bit of time in the XR8 to find the best seating position. It sounds like you were able to find this easily in the SS, but perhaps the XR just needs a bit more time.

If it was me, and if I was looking at a brand new car, I would be doing the same thing you are doing (ie look at both manufacturers), but I would have a bias towards the Ford (for obvious reasons). The Holden would have to be much, much, much better than the Falcon for me to go the Holden. But either way you go, each is a very nice ride! Good luck with the decision making process!

Perhaps you should wait for the BA2 and see how much power and what options that comes out with (to make the $5k over the XR6T worth it).

·
XR8 Mad
244 Posts
Have you test driven both of them? Its down to personal preference and in spite of all the specs and performance figures, you have to be the one that is happy about driving the car.

They really are two different cars in terms of driving...so go and drive each of them for a fairly significant and it should be obvious which one you should go for.

Just my five cents worth (you can't get 2 cents anymore)...

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
I thought the XR8 had the better exhaust note. The XR8 is more unique body wise, whereas the SS looks like an exec with a body kit.

·
Registered
670 Posts
You cannot beat that bulge! (IMHO) the ford is a much nicer option, The ss is a great car too but the design is a little aged now and with the update engine not too far away i'd hold off for it or you'll feel a lil like and Au3 owner when they look at the BA (they love their car but...). The holden dash is fugly, the ford setup is nicer, more upmarket. As for legroom....I'm only 5 foot 7 inches so i cannot relate but if your going on a long drive it would certainly affect driving your pleasure. I'm pretty sure the XR is heavier and thats why they not quicker for the extra 15kw. That special option will cure that though. When the series 2 comes out you'll find the series 1 is a fair bit cheaper, and the s2 will have a fair few little advantages (inc a weight reduction i hope) to it. Just my 2c. Choose away mate.

·
Registered
911 Posts
XTS220 said:
The biggest problem is LEG ROOM!!!!

Holden has miles of it, Ford needs a bit more.
You're talking front legroom I assume and with the adjustable pedal height (option) this should solve your problem. I thought the BA is listed with slightly more front legroom then a Commodore?

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Get the XR8.. after all, would YOU want to have to deal with over-enthusiastic knuckledragging dribbler Holden fans at every intersection?? It's as good a reason as any!!

·
I want my brothers car.
258 Posts
hey XTS220.....lets not forget these words back on the 10-1-04......

"The BA Falcon may be the best looking Falcon that Ford has ever built, but from some rather interesting information I have come across from SOOOO many people on these forums, and other place I have to say that the BA Falcon is an absolute LEMON." (XTS220 10-1-04)

maybe you already had your mind made up and didn't need to ask us.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts