Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help
I have recently aquired an EL XR8 November 97 model falcon, and have been searching/speaking to people about modifications to the exhaust system. Right now I have my ideas set on a twin 2 1/2 system back from the cats. A marry joint as for support, then to two Walker Dynomax Race Magnum mufflers, then twin 2 1/2 out and finishing off with a small section of 3' with a chrome tip. All in mild steel ($$$ factor). I was told the extractors fitted are reasonable, and was quoted $630 +GST. A lot of people have told me a twin 2 1/2 system would be hard to fit, as the falcon is rather tight near the diff ..Problems can occur such as exhaust rattle, knocking on the diff, etc ... can it be done ?? Also, are Race Magnum mufflers any good ? Will there be too much drone ?

G

·
Hello Sam,
This is Sam too (LOL).

Sounds like a awesome setup. You's have to ask Mike if a twin 2 1/2 hits in the rear. The system you are after is what I want with Pacemaker headers. Though the guy at Wyong Performance and Exhaust wants to put in a wild cam and use a single 3" system. No matter what system I pick I will be using a single large exhaust tip like you though, looks neater.

G

·
G'day Sam (from WA!)

Yeah mate, the dual 2.5" is a pretty tight fit over the axle. On mine, they fitted a kind of bump stop bar, which would intercept any potentially nasty diff movement. Mine has had a few little bumps, but if it's done properly, it should hold up no worries. Another option to get a bit more space over the diff would be to drop it back to 2.25" pipes, which may provide a tradeoff between flow and practicality. From what the guys who did mine told me, flow isn't affected a great deal with the change in size in this particular section of the exhaust. As for the extractors, the ones fitted on the EL2 are definitely better than previous models, but still can be bigger and better. Yes, they are a bugger to fit, but well worth the effort (by someone else :)) Can't comment on the Race Magnum mufflers, but I'm happy with my Walkers :)

Your price sounds on the money too, so I'd say, go ahead! You won't be sorry ;-) If there's any other info I can help ya with, let me know and I can possibly bore you to near death :)

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Mike, how much did your exhaust system (from headers to tip) cost? and where did you get it done?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Slim and Mike, your bloody champions.. the re-assurance I needed. I'll let you know how it goes in the next week.

Cheers

Sam

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Just wondering if anyone knows if theres clearance problems with a dual 2.5inch exhaust if the car has standard height Falcon suspension? Like a Ghia or GLi?
Also does anyone with dual exhausts actually have dual tips aswell, or have you all just got a large single tip?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Getting twin 2.5 system tomorrow. Getting it over the backend is going to be tight as my car has been lowered. Will have a twin tip end as well. (i like the look)

G

·
Martin

I've got a dual 2.5" system with dual tips on my ED and it fits ok. Spacing is a little tight after the axle where the pipe runs along the underbody but it hasn't seemed to cause any problems. I definitely prefer the dual tip look as well but that's just me.

G

·
Forgot to mention it mate, I've got twin tips too. A sniff larger than stock, and chromed (well they used to be ;) ), but it's just preference.

G

·
I have a AU Fairmont large angled stainless tip off a exhaust being thrown out at work. It will line up with the back of the bumper perfectly. You caneven squeaze the two stock pipes into it, though i will prob just have the twin system joined into one 3" at the bumper to slide into it.

cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Slim, Mike

Ended up getting a s/steel exhaust fitted. It's from the cats back, with a balance pipe, twin 2 1/4inch to two Genie Tornado hi-flo mufflers, and then out with 2 1/4inch twin and nearing the end finishing with a small section of mandral bent 3inch s/steel pipe to a 3inch oval shaped tip. Looks great, and sounds really good. Increase in Kw's wasn't much, a jump of 8kw's. Very little to no drone in the cab (ahhhh, relief), but still has that meaty v8 sound when you plant the foot. From what I have been told, the sound will change slightly with a few km's as carbon will build up. Is this true?? All up I got stung $900.00. Very happy with the job and I shouldn't have to worry about the odd bump here and there.

Cheers

Sam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Slim, Mike

Ended up getting a s/steel exhaust fitted. It's from the cats back, with a balance pipe, twin 2 1/4inch to two Genie Tornado hi-flo mufflers, and then out with 2 1/4inch twin and nearing the end finishing with a small section of mandral bent 3inch s/steel pipe to a 3inch oval shaped tip. Looks great, and sounds really good. Increase in Kw's wasn't much, a jump of 8kw's. Very little to no drone in the cab (ahhhh, relief), but still has that meaty v8 sound when you plant the foot. From what I have been told, the sound will change slightly with a few km's as carbon will build up. Is this true?? All up I got stung $900.00. Very happy with the job and I shouldn't have to worry about the odd bump here and there.

Cheers

Sam

G

·
Sounds good mate! Yeah the sound will change a bit over time, but nothing too drastic. You'll probably notice it yourself, but your mates will need convincing :) Mine sounds a little different than when I got it, a bit growlier now :)

G

·
Just something you that might grab your interest. Yesterday I took a EL XR8 auto out to get some new mufflers. They got rid of the main muffler that has the two 2" pipes entering it and exiting and they replaced that with two hotdogs and the first resinator was taken right out. sound difference? = hardly any. Power difference? = lost BIG power.

My conclusion to why it lost power.. #1 the main muffler was working as a balance pipe. #2 Series 1 ELs haven't got GT40p heads and use a bit of back pressure and #3 I think a resetting of batterey terminals to clear ECU would help too, though one mech at work wasn't going to do bother and he told me the 8's dont re-learn(his a idiot though).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting Slim... That rather sounds like someone doing it on the cheap hey. I guess it all depends on the $$$ factor.

Since driving my car.. only a few days or so, I have noticed that there is a slight power increase, especially on take off. I think when I first drove the car I was concentrating too much on the sound.

Slim.. resetting of battery terminals... call me dumb if I'm wrong, but are you refering to simple disconnect for a period and then to reconnect the + terminal of the battery ?
Also, just a quick question for Mike as I know your pretty clued up, Hi-flo cats ?? do they make a great difference ? Sound/performance? and also, I was told extractors will increase power, but not really change the sound of the car. True/False

Thanks again for your valuable information

Sam

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Hi guys. I have had my system on for a couple of days now. Mine is 2.5 twin from the cat back into two tornado gennies then out via 2.5 twin pipes to twin tips. Balance pipe and some presses are also used.
By and large there is no drone but it can do under some circumstances. Underneath the car there is lagging fixed to the right hand side off the production line for six cylinders. On the right hand side the lagging is on the muffler. I replaced this lagging on the new system and it does seem to quiten the drone again not to mention protect the underbody from heat.
Might be just me but it does seem to have the ability to spin wheels that bit easier which with the irs is not easy with no engine mods.

G

·
Ok, the quick answer is that the cats on our EL2's are quite good in stock trim. They flow pretty well, and I'd say that even though aftermarket cats may flow a tad better, they're not worth the $$ difference for the gain. On mine, they chopped off the small extensions of pipe on each side of the cat, and attached the new extractors and exhaust straight to the cat pod itself. This gave a little more flow.

Ok, on to Q2. Bigger / better extractors will give you more power, no question. In regards to sound, I think that any difference they'd make would be overshadowed by the rest of the exhaust system itself. ie. if you kept same exhaust and replaced extractors, the sound would be bugger all different methinks. On the other hand, as has been testified here :), the exhaust system after the cats is where the note is really "tuned".

Cheers
Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts