Ford Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not kidding.

It started when I noticed the Head Gasket (replaced 1 yr ago) was leaking down the block when cold (between cyl 3-4 exhaust side).

Took the rocker off to check head bolt tension.

Inspected the timing chain & noticed half the chain guide on exhaust side had snapped off & was sitting in a valley near the chain.

I called my mate, (an ex ford dealership mechanic) when dismatled, the whole guide setup on both sides had disintergrated & was within a few k's of complete destruction, cam had slap, tensioner was all the way out.

The head leaks because the block came from the factory with a big ding on it between cyl 3-4 near a water jacket. Have to get it fixed, and the Ford VRS kit fitted by the dealer 1 yr ago, had a crap head gasket, fitting an Accel instead.

My sons ED had a similar tensioner guide prob but I thought it unique to him was because of getting a good flogging.

It seems to be a Ford design weakness.

All you 6 cyl owners out there - please CHECK YOUR
TENSIONER GUIDES !!
Take off the rocker cover and inspect before its too late.

- Frank

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeah, these things are weak as P!$$.

Mine broke when the new cam was fitted.

I guess its a cheap bit of insurance, as the things are not expensive to replace, but if the thing does go, and bits of metal start to circulate around the motor :crazy1:

·
The cat in the hat
400 Posts
Hmmmmmm yep.
One timing cover, chain, gears, auxillary shaft, rings, bearings, gaskets and machine work later............:dead: :dead:

Was I a happy PG???? not that day

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know a mechanic who worked on a 5.4 in a Ford truck. What he found out was the tensioner plastic was deteriorated and clogged oil passages to the cam phasers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts