Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mazda MX6 Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get my Walbro 255L in this weekend, so that next weekend my car can start getting high off of n2o:nuts:

Never done anything with the fuel pump/fuel tank (didn't even know where it was before looking in Haynes) and was wondering if there are any hints/tricks/info I should have before attempting this feat. I guess I should also ask if this is a task for a rookie?? And anybody got a gestimate on how long this will take (don't forget to figure in the idiot factor :D )

Also will I need to change the exhaust gaskets after removing it to get to the fuel tank (I just put a greddy and new gaskets on less than a week ago...I know I know i should have done this then, but I didn't have the pump yet). And finally do I REALLY need to get a new gasket for the pump flange....Haynes suggests it, but I doubt I'd be able to get a new gasket by today (Ford/Mazda NEVER stocks the parts I need :( ).

Anybody wants to jog up to Auburn and help out, there would be no objections ;)

Thanks for any info
Ryan

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Steps/tricks:

1) You'll have to remove the gas tank completely - there is NO WAY around that - don't try shortcuts or any other way.

2) Drive around 'till your gas light comes on :) (Or syphon the gas if you have that capability)

3) The gas tank is fiberglass - DON'T DROP IT!

4) If you use a jack to support the tank while you lower it, use a piece of wood between jack and tank.

5) You'll NEED A HELPER - this is not a 1 person job.

6) Before you start the job, relieve the fuel pressure from the system according to the Haynes manual.

There's more, just not that I remember right now - I'll dig through my links when I get home to send you a couple of install pages.

My install took 2 hours, with myself and an experienced tech working. Expect yours to be in the 2-4 hours range, but remember that speed doesn't matter - getting it done right does.

·
OKPOC - OKC Chapter Prez
105 Posts
dan is n20 god...

yup, he covered it all....

one thing, you don't really NEED a helper, but you should have one... especially for the first time attempting this job...

by the 2nd or 3rd time you remove the gas tank, you won't really need a helper. :)

happy spraying!!!!! :)

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Yep, Jeff's right :D you CAN do the job by yourself if you feel particularly courageous :D

Heck, after all, I removed my own engine/tranny by myself last weekend, and if *I* can do that, then anyone can......

Once you start spraying, go to Sac raceway and have at it! I want to see some times :thumbup:

BY the way - your IM/VC paintjob came out cherry! I may have to take some tips from you this time around :D Nice color, too!

·
Mazda MX6 Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the sites!! And I think I will use a helper to do this job!!

One last question:

I figured I might as well change my fuel filter while I'm at it. The guy I bought the car from gave me a couple of FRAM filters, I didn't know if (like the oil filters) fram fuel filters should not be used on our cars...if not then what would you suggest??

Dan:
Thanks for the compliments on the paint job...you should see it with the Hose Tech Kit and Vitech Spark Plug wires!! (I'll try to get pics soon)

·
Mazda MX6 Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more thing...I just noticed that in Haynes it says to loosen the lug nuts on the back wheels :?: why would you do that?? Do I need to do that??

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
I have no idea why it is recommended to loosen the rear lugnuts - unless you need to remove the wheels. You could remove the wheels since the rear will be jacked up anyway - that way you have room to maneuver.

For a fuel filter if Fram makes a part number specific for the MX-6 you should have no problem using it AFAIK. I think a fuel filter is about $7 for our cars.

·
Mazda MX6 Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well with no more questions I guess there's nothing else left to do except go get my hands dirty...

Thanks for the help!!

ANd I'll let you know how it goes/or if I run into any problems :)

·
Mazda MX6 Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it went in pretty smooth (minus the 2 SOCKETS I stripped trying to get the bolt off of one of the supports that holds the tank up...I didn't even know you COULD strip a socket!! I would like to take the title of bastard bolt from the bolt on the back of the IM and the rumored diffuculty of the bolts on the CAT and give the title of the "Difficult bastard bolt" to the bolt that holds up the support!!)

Thanks for all the help (once again)

And now....(evil laugh) it's time for the juice:D

Anybody wanna buy my old fuel pump:rolleyes: ??

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Good job!

Yeah, those bolts holding up the tank straps are a true PITA!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts