Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I was building a super computer with a myriad of hard drives and mega memory.
one of the 4.2 gig hard drives (scsi) has been used in my work computer (unix) and is password protected. no-one can remember the password, how can I access the drive.

D.K. John, Tim, Mother......

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
steve out of the 2 hard drives I was able to access one and reformat, not a problem, however this one is proving diffulcult. I'm having a spat attack with the mongrel.
It's a segate 4.2 model st32151n if thats anyhelp.
spoke with hewlett packard where we bought the system from, got the run around bla..bla...bla etc cant help you dont have this or that, so hung up on this knob. last time I purchase off them.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this drive has jumper settings. but what is what...

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
THE DOCTOR said:
this drive has jumper settings. but what is what...
Can you actually physically access the drive? i.e does a letter come up for it in windows..
The reason I ask is because it might be set up to work as a master when it should be set to operate as a slave...

There is so many jumpers on the SCSI that I have here I wouldn't even bother trying to figure out what does what..

What do you plan to use the system for Doc?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
D.K. was just going to use the puter for the internet, the 2 big drives I would use as slaves for the web site that we are setting up. just means it would be 24/7 thats all.

cant access the drive as such even on windows. when I put the drive back in the unix server it starts, powers up, goes through the daemons, sets system files etc etc, tries to locate drive, then for some reason the computer re-boots and the whole thing starts all over again, and again, and again..etc

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
Ok well I'll keep thinking then...

I'll make you an offer @ the same time, I have access to a webspace on the uni server here, I can set up a site until you set up the server properly if you like, although for obvious reasons it couldn't be very big.....
we could set it up on there and use it to check everything out before you transfer it to your server.
Just an idea

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks mate for the offer, the website or main web is already operational, we plan to run a link from this web to my computer at home, so I have access to the frame etc for customer enquiries, that way I can direct them to the appropriate people.
thats why it would need to be 24/7. the idea was I could access the internet on the computer and still monitor the server.
the server is windows based by the way.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I could be a smarty and say that being windows based is the problem. But to be honest I only know about NT 4.0 and that wont help you. I'll have a chat with a couple of people who might know what to do. There is software about that allows the passwords to be cracked. As far as I can remeber it is possible to also do it online. I'll check the web address and e-mail to you if it is right.

·
BA XR6T
111 Posts
Doc,

From the type number of the drive it isn't a SCSI - all Seagate CSSI drives have a W suffix - not N. The N means that it is an IDE drive.

If it is a SCSI drive u need to do a couple of things:
- check what the SCSI ID is set to for the drive. It MUST be different from the ID for any other SCSI drives connected to the SCSI controller but don't set it to ID 0.
- Check if the drive is detected at boot time - i.e:- very early in the boot process you should see a line showing that the SCSI controller bios has been found/loaded, followed by the descriptions for all SCSI drives connected to that controller.

If you don't see your drive/s listed there then there's something wrong with either your SCSI controller or the jumper settings for the drive itself.

I'll find the relevant jumper settings for that particular drive and mail them if u like:p

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thkx mate the more info the better. I thought they where SCSI. Show's you how much I know about computer's.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
bobr said:
Doc,

From the type number of the drive it isn't a SCSI - all Seagate CSSI drives have a W suffix - not N. The N means that it is an IDE drive.
Sorry for the delay. I did not see this thread here.

I hate to correct you on this but a st32151n is a 2.1GB SCSI drive. The N Designation means narrow SCSI.

I have a couple of these drives here at home. First thing I would look at is do you have the write protection off of the drive. Yes this is setable by a jumper. If you look at the PIN out area J2 you will see that there are 8 sets of pinouts. If you have the Drive PCB towards you then you will want to make sure that there is not a jumper on the 4th pinout from the left. If there is one on there then take it off.

Also after you have done this take and hook it up to the controler. I am not sure what controler you have but if it is adaptec then on boot up do a < CTRL >A this will get you in the bios of the adaptec card. Once in there you will need to see if it is visible. If it is not power down and check the SCSI ID JUmpers and make sure you dont have it conflicting with another device.

Once you can see it on the card you can do a LOW LEVEL Format on the drive. This will erase the drive and any passwords that you had set on there. All data will be lost, but you will have the drive available to you.

I will look around here and see what I my have that I have written that can crack a HDD password. If I can not find anything I will write you something.

John

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thkx John. I'll do it tomorrow, It's gone past midnight and I feel like a well shagged virgin, need my beauty sleep, ya know. (lol).
I'll let you know tomorrow how I got on. If I have any drama's I'll leave you a note and when you wake up, you can have a read.

Doc

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
Well Doc seems like you've got your solution, just might take a bit of time :D

Thanks John this had me stumped, mainly because
A) Unix is not something I work with often. Heh the most complicated thing I've done with it is use it to make a directory :rolleyes:
B) My use of SCSI devices is limited to the aforementioned doorstop
C) This is the most difficult problem I've come across in a long time.... Dormies just tend to screw up their system in a easily repairable manner cos they don't know enough to **** it up properly hehehe.

So I'm glad you stepped in to cover for me ;)

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
No problem guys. I just got up not that long ago and just happend across the thread. I saw wanted by DOC and I was kinda scared. HAHAHA

Come to find out it was not much at all but a computer problem.

I will try to help to the best of my ability. I can not promise anything, but I can try.

LunaticSS
John

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there is a god D.K. might ask tomorrow about hacking a bank. (lol)

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
One more thing. Was this drive used in any type of RAID setup? If so then you will need to lowlevel format the drive to erase the setting that the raid controller had set as the start stop points of this drive.

Raid drives are a little wierd but all in all it will do the things you are talking about. On that Unix system if it was just placed into the machine on a regular controller and not on a Raid controller and the drive is formated as raid then it will cause to the machine to force reboot. There is a "partition" or mount point that is causing this problem for this Unix system.

I would recomend a lowlevel format of the drive if there is not any important data on it.

·
BA XR6T
111 Posts
Doc

I checked & it IS a SCSI - shows I shouldn't rely on my memory:rolleyes:
I've sent u an email re this:thumbup:

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
THE DOCTOR said:
there is a god D.K. might ask tomorrow about hacking a bank. (lol)
Well I do know the security schemes set up by Bank of America, since I did do a security audit on them. hahahaha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
6 Participants
LunaticSVT
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing