Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

Anyone driving an AU2 XR8/6 that has the plastic engine cover be aware that the metal braket that sits over the Alternator to hold this cover on is subject to stress fractures and may break off at both ends.

I had been driving without the cover for some months now and the other day the braket snapped and fell foward into the belts.

By chance it fell foward and jamed in the idle pully and the supercharger belt where it lodged and melted the pully and frayed the belt.

Doing 100 plus along the freeway I did not hear this until I pulled up at a turn off where I realised the engine was over reving and the noise, damm I thought it was the clutch again.

The braket could have easly fallen striaight off or jammed into anything else causing huge damage.

Recommend a visual check be done to ensure this wont happen to you

:thumbdown :thumbdown

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Man, thats never a good thing, hope it didn't bugger your supercharger unit.

Is the car ok now???

T

·
0 Posts
I've taken my cover off some time ago. but I'll have a look. while were on the subject of the 2 series, does your car make a clicking noise under the front left hand gaurd. that is, start the car, get out and stand beside the car and listen. it should sound like a relay, with intermittent clicking..??? I want to see if anyone else else this problem. found out yesterday.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep

Been doing that for a while

Pulled out the starter motor on the weekend and it was full of clutch dust and that quitened it down a bit but it is still doing it.

Beats me where it is comming from.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cars going back to rob as the pulleys shot

The Ticking noise sounds like it is comming from under the front left guard, I just put it down to the fuel pump after I fixed the dust in the starter motor.

T

·
0 Posts
MINGE
your cars normal, it's mine that has the problem, the ticking noise is a purge valve for the fuel tank to stop it imploding with pressure. I found out yesterday when I went to ford. when I told this dude my car dont do it and my other one does, he told me what it was. which would explain sometimes when I take the fuel cap off the tank sounds like it's got a guts full of wind. I literally pulled the other XR to pieces (frustrating) to find this ******* ticking noise to no joy. but now I know what it is.
so your sweet.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
As Doctor has said the ticking noise is a stuck solenoid on the purge valve. They aren't meant to do it and I have had mine replaced, but the new one while better still does it on cold days.

T

·
0 Posts
So I take it, if it dont tick it's ok. if it does tick it's stuffed.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Well probably not! It depends on how much noise it makes. It appears that the replacement will also end up doing it as well. Everyone I know has had it happen to them but I am the only person that has had mine replaced after the dealer agreed that the noise was excessive

T

·
0 Posts
okay slightly confused here.
In reality, I guess what your saying is, if it ticks slightly, it could be O.K.
If it ticks real fast it could still be O.K.
If it doesnt tick at all, it could still be O.K. but only tick once in a while.
Or vice versa on all of the above.

This is confusing.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
No your not confused at all. Seems like you understand perfectly.
However if you are seated in the drivers seat with the radio above conversation level and can still hear the sound that is when the unit should be replaced or at least the question asked.
Officially the purge valve should be silent. Reality seems to suggest otherwise.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had a look at a couple au2xr8s today at the dealership, some of the cars showed stress cracks in that braket!!

Hmmm might email ford tomorrow!

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
laminge said:
Had a look at a couple au2xr8s today at the dealership, some of the cars showed stress cracks in that braket!!
Hmmm might email ford tomorrow!
I checked the bracket on the TE50 and it looked okay. (FYI)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
5 Participants
Aussie Pete
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing