Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been warned on the latest batch of OPTIMAX. As i am now a temporary australian ( motorbike ) i filled the tank and it fouled the plugs. It took about 1/2 an hour to finally start it. That same night my mate fouled the plugs on his dato 1200 with a FJ turbo. Took him ages as well. The army has a heap of bikes that are out of action dues to the same problem.
Aparently it is due to being re-refined and just shit. So stay away if you can.
Matt

·
Registered
40 Posts
No way :-( Which areas are these in??? If OPTIMAX was the cause of all these problems, don't you think that Shell would have disconnected the OPTIMAX pumps by now?

·
Registered
594 Posts
i don't reckon they would start turning off pumps unless it got really big.

ever seen "fight club"? if the cost of the possible law suits is less than the cost of the recall, then the recall never gets done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a couple of mates that if they use optimax in there dirt bikes & leave it in the tank until the next time they go out (couple weeks) it fouls the plugs & causes it to run like a bag of s*&%. Maybe it would be best to only buy it from a "busy" service station???

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi,

I was talking to Nat (Mustang Chris's wife) about a dodgy batch of fuel I got on the way to bathurst. (Nat works for a petrol company)

She advised me that you should call the servo and / or the petrol company to advise them of this, as they are liable for any damage done to the car.

:)
Kelli S

·
Go The Stone Brothers!
54 Posts
I filled up with Optimax a little while ago... not long after my sparkleads died...
Im not sure whether it was because they needed replacing as they did look a bit old...

- Ace

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
Hay Ace - try looking at the date of the posts to find out if they are still relevant. My guess is that this one is not an issue any more!

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
It is a well known fact among us dirt bike riders that you stay away from Optimax because it leaves deposits and fouls plugs. For that reason I use Techron Gold in my KTM and have no problems. In fact when I bought the bike the dealer expressly told me not to use Optimax in it.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Well this confirms my theories then, seems Synergy 8000 and BP Ultimate is the way to go.

·
LET EM' RIPPP
1,819 Posts
While were on the topic of Optimax, a mate of mine picked up a bad batch when he filled up his Skyline. He put in a complaint Shell ended up paying $1000 in repair bills.

I was quite surprised.

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
I've picked up one bad batch of Optimax in Port melb. I got a tank of mud for $1 a lt. Took me 6 weeks to clean out the fuel system.

I've run the XB 10.5:1 compression on optimax for 20,000k's without any issues but the above.

Never been back to that servo again.

Brenden

·
7,777 Posts
I used optimax in my 347 stroker and I have to say that even with very low kms the chambers etc were very sooted up when the engine came apart. I use Syn8000 in the FPV purely because I like the Mobil pay at the pump. I might switch to Techron Gold for a trial period but I know it works real well in my bike.

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
caltex has vortex , must be ampol then...

·
7,777 Posts
myxr6 said:
???? What is techron Gold ? Who Makes it ?
Damn cooking in aluminium pots and that alzheim..alzhime..altshim....dammit
Vortex Gold is what I meant:Stupid:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts