Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
"Custom" 94 Tempo
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my tempo has pretty warped front rotors.

I wasn't sure so I figured I'd ask. What would be a fix for warped rotors? Would I be able to machine them down or would I require a brand new set? If I have to get a new set then does anyone have any recommendations as to what kind I should get, and what a price would be? I'm looking for better quality rotors - ones that are more resistant to heat and warpage, but if the better ones are to expensive then I'm going to have to go with a factory set from a junkyard or something.

Thanks...Al

F

·
0 Posts
Al

Raybestos put a book out for all the auto techs to use that tells them the maximum run out or allowable warpage that a rotor can have before it needs to be replaced. Now I used to be a mechanic for 8 yrs and just happen to have an old one laying around the house i think....somewhere...Brakes were a specialty of mine. If the rotors have a slight warp and i mean less than .003 to .005 of an inch warpage and they are still more than .030 over what minimul thickness is required for cutting...then you can cut them down but, most manufacturers in about the last 3-5 yrs have started to put on what is called one cut rotors....you use the rotors and you usually...not always but most times....get to cut them once and the next trip for brakes requires rotors.Your best bet is to get you a new set of rotors...Rotors for our cars are not much I live in NJ and I think when I got mine they were somewhere from $19-28 each...or something like that. I recommend raybestos only because i never had any comebacks from them and never had a problem with them on my cars...
Get a new set of brake pads and make sure to grease the slides....alot of people forget and that is what the calipers slide on and causes them to stick, and hang up.
when you do the front brakes make sure to check the rear and check the wheel cyclinders as well.....
If I can be of more help let me know k?

George (FastAzzV6Tempo)

O

·
0 Posts
If you can feel the brakes pulsing when you apply them, the rotors are probably warped beyond repair. Cutting the rotors works but you are effectively reducing their mass and their ability to store heat. So they will warp even faster the next time My $0.02 is to get new rotors. Their faily cheap for our cars.

If you want to spend a few more dollars, look into cryogenically treated rotors. I think http://www.frozenrotors.com is one place that does it. They freeze the rotors down to something like -200C which changes the molecular structure of the metal and makes the rotor more resistant to warpage. The price is reasonable so check it out. Do not even consider cross drilling! That also reduces the mass.

J

·
0 Posts
I would probably just go with new rotors if the old ones cannot be machined. Here in MS, new rotors are $12, and turning them is $7.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts