Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i have got a ea falcon with a eb 4 litre motor in it.....i have a problem with water coming out of the exhaust mainly when you first start it...
There is no water in the oil and the car isnt heating up...........infact the car is running perfect except for the water coming out of the exhaust...anyone got any answers?????????????? :fly:

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Don't worry about it, happens to all cars. I think when the air cools down, moisture in the air condensates in your exhaust, when you start it up its blow out the tail pipe. Well that's my guess. But it's happened to every car we've ever owned.

Donno

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
unless it is using coolant i wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but its a fair bit of water comming out ..the motor can be warm or cold.............

·
Registered
548 Posts
donno said:
Don't worry about it, happens to all cars. I think when the air cools down, moisture in the air condensates in your exhaust, when you start it up its blow out the tail pipe. Well that's my guess. But it's happened to every car we've ever owned.

Donno
It has to with the catalitic converter the thing has platnum in, it condences some of the gasses back into water. ther have been a few cases in the U.S. people trying to kill them self, by useing exhaust fumes, but since the things work so well it hasn't worked. as far as i know the BMW's have the best ones around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wel i hpoe its not anything to do with the heads......................its a pain because it leaves dark colored waters stains in the drivway...............................

·
Registered
548 Posts
Mate, where abouts are the stains frount end or back end ? If the head was cracked the water IN the motor would be milky white or creamy you can tell by looking in the top of the motor where you put the oil.

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
The black stuff would be just soot and carbon from the tail pipe mixed in the water, our XE does the same thing. Dad started it infront of my ED and left quite a nice stain on my front bumper, naturally I made him clean it off lol.

Donno

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is no milky color in the oil...........ive never had a car that has water coming out of the exhaust.it seems strange................and its a fair bit of water coming out

·
Registered
529 Posts
Water is ACTUALLY a by-product of the combustion process. It is normal for a bit to come out the exhaust for a couple of minutes. If it still comes out when the car is warm then I would check the compression and get your coolant checked. Normally (not always) when the head gasket is blown combustion gases will get injected into the coolant which can be detected. Head repair shops should have the apparatus.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Drill a 1/8" hole in the lowest parts of your muffler/s. Problem solved. Stops it rusting the guts out as well.

cheers

·
Registered
177 Posts
yeah the same thing happened to my car when i first got it
i thought ****..head gaskets = $$$
although it i had doubts as too it being the headgaskets because it first came out right pipe then when i got a little hotter it came out the left
but after a while it stopped doing it as it gets driven regurly now and like "not ford" said it was a by product of burnt fuel, i saw cupfulls come out at one stage
i wouldnt worry about it

p.s i was also told that if it was a headgasket leak and infact was coolent coming from the exhaust then you'd notice the coolent levels goin down alot
cheers cam

·
Registered
36 Posts
The water coming out from the exhaust on start up is normal as the exhaust system is cold and the water from the combustion process is condensing, when the exhaust system reaches operating temperature the water stays evaporated.
A blown head gasket into the water jackets does not normally cause coolant to be blown out the exhaust, but the other way round, the exhaust gases leak into the cooling system. This causes the cooling system to become over pressurised, opening the radiator cap and forcing the coolant out, eventually cooking the motor.
Coolant may however leak into the cylinders when the motor is not running and the head gasket is blown.

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
lizard said:
The water coming out from the exhaust on start up is normal as the exhaust system is cold and the water from the combustion process is condensing, when the exhaust system reaches operating temperature the water stays evaporated.
A blown head gasket into the water jackets does not normally cause coolant to be blown out the exhaust, but the other way round, the exhaust gases leak into the cooling system. This causes the cooling system to become over pressurised, opening the radiator cap and forcing the coolant out, eventually cooking the motor.
Coolant may however leak into the cylinders when the motor is not running and the head gasket is blown.
Hence why they check for CO2 in your coolant system to check for a blown head gasket. If your about a gasket, just ask your local dealer to do a CO2 test, its a sure fire way of finding out, and will cost 20-30 bucks.

Donno

1 - 14 of 14 Posts