Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah peoples,

Just wondering what everybody uses to shine their machines. Also can someone reccomend me a really out standing product to shine a 94 falcon. I mean when i rockup to the shops theres litereally thousands to choose. My car is shiny but i'd like to get ride of those swirl marks on the clear coat, they spoilt the otherwise nice finish.

I use the Mcguiers prep swirl, and then armorall armaplate spray polish. This formula works as it comes up with a nice shine but the swirl marks appear again after a week. Maybe i'm not using the prep swirl remover properly.
Whats everyones comment.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
They yanks seem to love 'Zaino', it kicks the **** out of Meguiars, Mothers etc.

These are some of their pics:eek::eek:

Also go to LS1.com or Corral.net and just mention the word Zaino and you'll have plenty of positive comments.

I havnt bought any yet because of the sh!tty exchange rate :(

Heres their site www.zainobros.com

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
I swear by Zaino!

It is the best and gives the deepest shine.

If you have never used Zaino you start with claying your car. they you go and use the swirl remover then you go and add the deep shine. I usualy have 4 or 5 coats on the car before any show.

Zaino is the best and I can say that if there is anyone over on the other side of the Ocean that wants some let me know. I am not sure what the exchange rate is, but I know that if we have enough orders we can get it shipped over there as one large container to atleast save on the shipping.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I use 3M Perfect-It system. Then top wax using Meguiars Gold Class. Won me lots of trophies at Concourse / Summernats. The product is often secondary to the method and effort (trust me on that one!!!).

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
The product is often secondary to the method and effort (trust me on that one!!!).
Spot on Pete! A Neville with a rotary buffer and a barrel of the "finest stuff" can still make a crock of it. I know - they did that with mine when I bought it :eek: :thumbdown

I try and give it a polish at least once a month. (erm.. let me rephrase that last bit!! :confused: :eek: :wink2: ) I try and polish the car at least once a month ;) After trying a few different things, I settled on Meguiars Clear Coat prep and Gold Class Polish. It seems to be the best stuff I've tried, but I've never had a go of this Zaino. Brings out a really deep shine in my heritage green XR - you can see it if you look REAL hard at my avatar on the left :wink2: :damack: Downside is that by doing it by hand, it takes a good afternoon, and leaves you with a bad case of "mysteriously sore and worn right arm" :eek:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I used Auto glym with good results on Jap paint but when we tried on Dad's Audis it didn't turn out so he uses Meguiars with good results. Although the alloy wheel cleaner isn't worth it because of the constant brake dust the TT has. It took both of us all day to do both cars for their first show and by the time we got there they were both a bit grubby. The TT being black meant it was a real pain to keep clean even before a bird crapped in it! Oh the joys of being roofless!

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Your Poor suckers

I just use my Commonwealth Bank Business card once a week and get some other blighter to do it.

god I hope my boss never jumps onto this site!:wink2:

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
THE DOCTOR said:
is'nt that what the wife is for.......after she's mowed the lawns
I thought the wife's job was to drive the washing machine, clean the kitchen, wash the dishes, ...... :wink2: :p :D , and drive the bed..... :WH: :WH: :eek:
Oh I am such a chauvinist at times....

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah i guess i'll have to experiment, what i'll do is stick with the clear coat prep and i'll see which one is better.
Pete, that 3M stuff can you find it anywhere????

Laminge,
yeah i prefer to polish the car my self. BTW like your avatar. Hehehehe is that a representation of how you fixed your car when the supercharge pully broke.:D :D :D :D

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Laminge,

Yeah that would be cool if you can post that web site, looks like they got some really zany avatars. :CraZ: :CraZ: :CraZ: :CraZ:

·
Interloper from LS1.com
768 Posts
I currently use the Meguiars Gold Class Clear coat prep and Gold Class Polish on my Slugodore.

Comes up pretty good but if the Aussie $ wasn't so crap I'd give the Zaino a go.

This what my non-Ford comes up like with Meguiars.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Anyone know much about Wynn's paint protection?? I was offered this, among other dealer added extras such as Electronic rustproofing, vinyl/fabric protection.

They claimed it added a layer that would mean I didn't have to polish the car, only wash it (oh, I also scored a free sponge with Wynns car cash and windscreen wash - inundated with freebies ;) ) and that it perform such miracles as protecting against paint fading in the sun (it'll be garaged more often than not though.)

After being blown around in the cash booth, I probably wasn't in a good state of mind, and while I nixed the rust proofing, got the paint protection as part of package deal that included darker window tint and an alarm installed, reduced by the cash I managed to snag in the booth. In the days since, I have the feeling I was conned a bit - any thoughts? I know things always cost more out of a dealer, but is the product itself much good? :confused:

·
2,153 Posts
VenomS, sorry can't comment on the paint protection and rust proofing as I've never tried it.

On my Fairmont I use the following Meguires products:

Tyres: Gold Class Endurance High Gloss. Awesome product that's worth about $30 I think, but it lasts forever and gives your tyres an amazing gloss.

Washing: Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner. Can't say I like this as it always leaves soap stains when it dries. How do you guys avoid this? I think the main problem is the sun dries it off too quick even though I do a section at a time, starting from the top. I got free in a pack with the polish.

Polishing: Gold class polish. If I'm in a hurry I use the quik wax spray which also gives excellent results, but doesn't last as long.

·
Interloper from LS1.com
768 Posts
Ford Man said:
Looks pretty good Brendan (for a Crumbledoor). How long does it take you get her looking like that?..
That was about 3-4 hours work spread over the day and a few beers.

ie: wash, interior, Clear Coat prep, Polish, wheels off for a good scrub.

Aussie Falcon - I have been using Mothers California Gold car wash as it's a bit softer and doesn't affect the polish. As far as rinsing, don't spray, just use hose and stream water over car, lots of water = less soap stains.

Of course I haven't done this for a while as there a is good Hand car wash down the road from me that makes a great coffee :wink2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts