Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out why my wagon won't start. Battery has a full charge, cables are realtively new and appear to still be well connected.

Turn the key to Run, everything seems ok. Turn it to start, the starter doesn't crank, and things seem to go dead. Key back in Run, the radio fades out and everything turns off. Turn the key to Off, the interior lights come back on. Turn the key to Acc, the radio works fine.

Likewise, with the key in Off, the headlights work. Key at Run, they turn off along with the interior lights. Key back to Off, the lights all turn on again.

If I attach the trickle charger for a few minutes, it all seems to reset and I can go through this all over again.

At one point I was checking battery voltage, and when doing so. Immediately after trying to start the engine, the voltage appeared to be bouncing around within approximately one volt. It did this for a couple minutes and then settled down, displaying normally again.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI, I suspect the battery given the issue I had recently with the voltage regulator. If that's the likely culprit, I just go see about getting it swapped.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, afraid of that. Cruddy NAPA voltage regulator failed a couple months ago, only been in the car for about 1.5 years. Went dead while cruising down the highway, and didn't completely realize it was super charging the battery until I reached my destination. Guess it really did kill it after all.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just swapped the battery out of my truck (it's not going anywhere until it gets new front calipers and a new starter). The wagon is running just fine now. Maybe if I hadn't driven for so long like that the battery might have survived, but I didn't know until it was too late. Oh well. The battery is still under warranty, so hopefully no one asks any questions.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did notice that, but I was behind the same few cars for quite a while until I left the highway. Thought it was one of those cars until it didn't go away. I'm thinking I need to keep a handful if certain spare parts on hand so I can make fieod repairs as needed.

·
Old Cars, Strong Hearts
708 Posts
Hey ledzilla .... can't help you with your issue, but ... you aren't that far from me. I'd enjoy meeting up sometime so I could see both of your cars, the Marauder and the LTD wagon.

Cort, pig&cowValves+PM, Old Cars, Strong Hearts
2003 MGM LS + 1981 cmc SC; need 1975 Chrysler Cordoba
"My heart is like an open highway" | Bon Jovi | 'It's My Life'

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey ledzilla .... can't help you with your issue, but ... you aren't that far from me. I'd enjoy meeting up sometime so I could see both of your cars, the Marauder and the LTD wagon.

Cort, pig&cowValves+PM, Old Cars, Strong Hearts
2003 MGM LS + 1981 cmc SC; need 1975 Chrysler Cordoba
"My heart is like an open highway" | Bon Jovi | 'It's My Life'
Perhaps. Maybe meet up somewhere sometime after it starts warming up again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts