Ford Forums banner

Weird set of issues

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently, and literally overnight, my '89 Probe developed two simultaneous problems.

A) After starting, shifting out of anything other than 'Park' causes a sudden short of one of the fuses (the #15 'Metro' fuse, to be specific), which is easy enough to replace but doesn't keep the issue from recurring. Once it blows, the digital instrument panel goes dark and stays that way until the fuse is replaced.

B) It shifts into reverse just fine but, in any other gear it appears to be stuck in second gear.

The local repair shop that I've used for years doesn't want to touch it. They tell me that they feel that this might be a "ground wire issue" and that they don't repair this.... personally, I think that their reluctance has more to do with them having recently been acquired by a large repair 'chain' and now have a three-day in-and-out again policy... which would exclude working on my 1989 vehicle.

Anyway, what are your opinions?

Has anyone else had this same problem(s) and, if so, what was the solution?

Does a "ground wire issue" sound likely or might a transmission solenoid or bad switch seem more likely?

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, the reverse lights work just fine.

To clarify, the instrument panel (I have the digital type) goes dark when you try to shift out of park and into reverse... or anything else.

So, the question is whether a single problem is causing both issues or are two distinct problems occurring that just happen to have started simultaneously? And, if so, what are they?

#4 ·
Honestly cant remember the set up but was thinking along the lines if gear linkage , cable , bushing or whatever worn , you wont be getting the full or correct movement on gear selector . Also the wiring or a plug connector for reverse lights ( and sometimes the inhibitor switch ) on a lot of cars is often underneath at gear selector and often gets damaged and can short out . But may be wrong .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.