Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ea 5spd with the 3.9cfi ive got a weird spark problem will start and run has bit of a miss if i unplug leads 5 n 6 theres no spark but also wont start without leads on have changed the dizzy from a 4ltr and also the coil both from a running car timing has been reset by timing chain as balancer was out every now and than will run perfect on all 6 but 90 percent runs like its on 5 cylinders im wondering what else could be the problem to cause the no spark on 5 and 6 or weak spark as it wont start without leads on

·
Super Moderator
3,640 Posts
Note Ford specifies a minimum 6mm spark plug jump test; i.e. the spark at number 1 (or any other lead) must jump at least 6mm (in a healthy system it should actually easily jump about 15mm or more). Easiest to test with a tool similar to this Toledo Ignition Spark Tester Box Type - 302165 or Toledo Spark Plug Firing Tester Heavy Duty 302167 - 302167 So test at each lead. Note also that these vehicle's ECU will cut off fuel to the injectors when no spark is detected to a) prevent destriction of of the catalytic covertor from fuel soak and b) to prevent a catastrophically damaging backfire from fuel accumulted in the inlet manifold and exhaust system and c) to prevent flooding and gard starting. Also is the capacitor/suppressor at coil connected and properly earthed as in these cars it does more than suppress ignition noise its a required earth for the ignition system? Also you must put the car into diagnostic mode to correctly set the timing see 10-1-26 of the factory workshop manual that you can download for a very small subscription fee from https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Home/SetCountry?returnUrl=https://www.motorcraftservice.com:1402/ or access free if you join the spin off Australian spinoff forum from this site Australian Ford Forums - Powered by vBulletin You can also read fault code in diagnostic mode and your car may well be able to tell you what is wrong with it. To read codes see: Ford Ford EFI - pictures of diagnostic connector locations and Ford Ranger - Testing EEC-IV Equipped Engines You can use a LED as indicated on the Rennacs site but these make it much easier: Innova OBD I Code Readers 3145 or Ford Digital OBD1 Code Reader Scanner Innova Electronics Ford Scan Tool Mechanic | eBay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea has good spark etc no codes it is literally only no 5 and n06 that has the problem im wondering if its cause ive got the 4ltr dizzy in it

·
Super Moderator
3,640 Posts
"Good Spark: ; how good? Do the mm jump test; I have seen far too many old E series where people and even mechanics said it had a good spark but a test showed it failed the 6mm jump test. Yes; you not only need a 3.9 or 3.2 liter distributor you need a CFI one as the are also different to the MPEFI one for the EA. You need this: New Aftermarket Electronic (CFI) Distributor Suits Ford 6cyl Falcon EA,EB,CP (A) | eBay or this FORD FALCON EA EB I CFI 3.2L 3.9L 6 CYL CENTRAL FIRE INJECTION DISTRIBUTORS | eBay or similar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea i can pull lead off pull back a fair way and still see spark i can unplug 5 n 6 with no jumping spark and no change in motor but car wont start if those leads not on and yea il try source a proper dizzy as it seems to be my issue or il just end up converting to ef motor

·
Super Moderator
3,640 Posts
If you ask on the Australian spin off site someone is very likely to have a unneeded CFI distributor to sell or even give away. Most CFI owners converted to MPEFI (not a lot required mostly just ECU, fuel rail, injectors, inlet manifold, MPEFI inlet manifold gasket, wiring harness and probably some other small items I have forgotten like the MPEFI distributor) but changing motors is another option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts