Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sucks too - the front of my car is totally stuffed after i got hit by a Patrol then shunted into a Statesman. Went to pull a U-Turn, looked, looked, looked again and then outta nowhere came a Patrol with a bullbar - have a guess which out of it and my EF came off second best.

Entire front bar - gone. Front quarter panels - gone. Steering - gone. All fixable and lucky enough to have been helped out by a really nice smash repair guy who is fixing it all for me, but still, id like to make sure i know what tp look for and all that once i get it back.

Naturally the car wont be as good as it was before the crash (just something about them, once theyre in a crash they're always sorta 'scarred' from it, as am i!), so I will be selling it and moving up ASAP, but I will need it for at least another 6 months. So, is there anything I should look out for when I get the car back? Any problems that are common after this sort of thing?

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Well get a wheel alignment asap, and see what they say, not much you can really do, other than be happy with the job thats done or complain :0)

Jason

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
damn, this sounds like what happened to another person on these forums, shame to hear that had to happen :/
hopefully its not too bad once its fixed.

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
man!!
I was clicking in here to see that you had wiped the smile from a VL owner.
DAMN! That really sucks.
Are you sure it's repairable? With that sort of damage I would have thought an EF would be a write off.
Actually you may be better off just getting the insurance company to pay out on it instead. As you said the car will never be the same.

·
Registered
102 Posts
ur lucky its still repairable my chassis rails were twisted and my engine moved 2 inches to the right of where it shoulda been oh well its all in pieces now ready for EF!! good luck with the repairs

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure how bad the damage is as i was carted off to hospital after it, and only got a quick glimpse out at the smash repairs place when we went to do the paperwork.

It's bad, very bad, Ive never seen my car in such a bad shape, luckily the damage is restricted to the front, but thats also the worst place is could be. If the car had have been hit any further back, it would have hit me right in the driver's seat, so I guess I am lucky in that sense. The most unfair thing of all? The woman in the patrol had a bullbar, and the only damage to her car is a dent about the seize of a $5 note in the bullbar, whereas mine is well, screwed.

The car hasnt been assessed yet, the claim has been put in and I have the incident number and all that from the police, but I dont know too much about how insurance works and all that, so I dont know what happens next. The smash repair guy seems to think it is repairable, even though it wouldnt start and wouldnt steer after the hit, so I am slightly scared that it may be a writeoff, even though it is insured for $10k. If it is a writeoff, what happens then? Do I get paid $10K cos thats how much its insured for? I have no idea.

As has been said, it may just be worth doing that, because as much as I love the car, it'll never be the same. Oh well, I guess have to wait and see what happens. Smash repair guy gave me an estimate of 2-3 weeks to fix it, but just dont know yet.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
technically yes, if its a write off, then you'll get 10k.
pretty good price for an EF :)

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah not too bad, better than what i would have got for it being in perfect condition with the mods! Go figure!

Now, what do yuo mean by 'technically'?!

Sorry to rack your brains, I dont have much experience with this (and I wasnt intending to either, but I guess it happens to the best of us).

·
XE Wagon owner
2,125 Posts
By technically he means that if when the assessor goes out to check out your car if he sees that the rest of the undamaged bits are in great condition & the car looks to be looked after you should get your agreed value .......thats if your policy is agreed value....... if not you get 'Market value' .... which is another story.....

Should the damages come near the 10k mark meaning generally say ballpark $8500 upwards .... then they will total the car. They will then keep he car & pay you the agreed value minus your excess.

They then will sell the damaged car in an auction & keep what money they get for it.

Sometimes you, if you want, can buy the wreck off them. ..... though in this instance it proberly wouldnt be worth it.

If the insurance company deems the car repairable they will repair it & you will have to hand over your excess more than likely to the repairer [ the insurers generally take the excess off the repair bill & the repairers collect it off you before you get the car]

If you need any more info you can PM me ;)

:fairy

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
lets hope the insurance company doesnt void your insurance due the mods.....

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
what insurance co was it?
lows = ok
wheels are stock size = ok
exhaust = generally ok

aslong as ur insurance co isnt AAMI :p sounds like u should be ok ahah

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mother Nature,

thanks a lot for sorting that out for me, I have a bit better idea of whats going to happen now. All my mods are listed on the policy and the damage is restricted to the front, everything from the quarter panels back (including interior) is fine as far as i can tell. The policy is going on agreed value, and it is $10K, and I do have another EF almost exactly the same lined up should I have to buy another car.

I have been fined $228 and lost 2 points, which is better than what I was originally going to get - 3 points and something like $700. After looking at my record (clean as a whistle) and taking down my version of events, the HWP traffic sergeant dumbed it down a little, however this'll still be stuk on my record, which is unfortunate. Cos the car was insured in dads name his premium goes up too, and he loses 10% of his no claim bonus. D'oh.

Should know either today or tomorrow whether it'll be repaired or not, to be honest I'm hoping it's not because I don't think it will ever be as good as it was before the crash, it did take a mighty beating on both sides at the front.

And after all this, I am now a staunch supporter of a campaign designed to rid the suburban streets of mums in bigass 4WD's.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
bad luck,,sorry to hear it..

·
Dodgy EA
190 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car mate. As for being in favour of banning mums in bigass 4WD's, I think thats a bit rich.

I am under the impression you were at fault (correct me if im wrong)
How would you feel if the mum had been in a small ass excel and had been seriousley injured or killed as a result of your mistake.

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bent EA,

i can see your point, but I am sure there would also be many who agree that for some people, owning a 4WD simply to go to the shops in is a bit silly. I am not trying to blame her for the accident - I don't dispute the fact that it was a combination of an error in my judgement, as well as the fact that the other driver was doing 70 in a 50 zone, and driving too close to the parked cars - this was also agreed upon by the Police after interviewing her and me.

My point is, that if she had have hit my car 30cms back from where she did, I would be seriously injured due to the fact that her bullbar was, to say the least, bloody enormous and very tough - it came out of it with one dent. So even though it would have definately saved her car from any further damage, and made her feel a lot safer, it put me at risk - doesnt matter whose fault it is, the fact is, in the wrong situation or in an accident, bullbars can be incredibly dangerous.

It's because of that that I think Urban 4WD's are not a good idea - I am strongly against people who buy 4WD's and live in the city - they can be very dangerous in the wrong circumstances.

·
Registered
847 Posts
4WD's in most suburban areas is just spastic IMO, if you dont nee it to tow a big ass whatever ar bush bash extreme YOU DONT NEED ONE.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Sorry to hear mate, glad you're ok though, that's the important thing.

Agreed, 4WDs in suburbia are trouble waiting to happen. I live near a primary school, it's scary how many of the mums come round the corner in a Land Rover or some other "cool" posh 4WD thing....with one kid in the front seat.

MN, I thought the car was written off on a basis of cost of repairs vs insured value, which was something like 50%? The Fairlane had $7500 worth done do it and the pay out was $19,000, that really suprised me as it was mostly body damage.

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I have just received the quote from the smash repair guy, and it is much bigger than I thought :fraz: . Original estimates put it at around $3000, turns out that it will cost $7000 to fix, and although the NRMA hasn't given the go ahead for repairs or written it off yet, he seems to think it will be a repair job.

Personally I'm hoping for a writeoff, a lot of nice EF's in town for sale!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts