Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Not a Joe Lunchpail
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there was ever a unleaded XE motor? Someone was trying to tell me there was but my research shows that the changeover was on the XF's in '85.

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
Even the early XF's were leaded, 1986 onwards were unleaded.

But there is a very slim possibility ford made some late '84 XE's unleaded as tests but i doubt they would have ever been sold to the public.

·
Not a Joe Lunchpail
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No - it's just there's some clown trying to sell a '82 XE Ghia that I'm sort of interested in - but he claims it's an unleaded engeine - but everything I've dug up on it points to the opposite. Identicar publication makes no mention of any changeover any year on the XE's - but it does mention the XF's in '85. Just wondering if there were any special cases - he claims to have run it on unleaded and that it's the original engine - can't see that being true.

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
yeah right said:
No - it's just there's some clown trying to sell a '82 XE Ghia that I'm sort of interested in - but he claims it's an unleaded engeine - but everything I've dug up on it points to the opposite. Identicar publication makes no mention of any changeover any year on the XE's - but it does mention the XF's in '85. Just wondering if there were any special cases - he claims to have run it on unleaded and that it's the original engine - can't see that being true.
Its not unleaded unless he's put the unleaded engine in the car.

There were absoloutly no unleaded falcons built in '82.

And if he has put a later unleaded engine in there, see if it has a cat and a small neck fuel filler (there are other things but these are the most obvious), if not is illigal and you run the risk of being defected and fined by the EPA by running unleaded through there.

·
Not a Joe Lunchpail
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
xdc351 said:
Its not unleaded unless he's put the unleaded engine in the car.

There were absoloutly no unleaded falcons built in '82.

And if he has put a later unleaded engine in there, see if it has a cat and a small neck fuel filler (there are other things but these are the most obvious), if not is illigal and you run the risk of being defected and fined by the EPA by running unleaded through there.
Luckily we don't have all that emissions rubbish here in NZ - we have different rubbish....

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Correct me if im wrong but it should run on unleaded fine, being an alloy head?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ive been told many times by lots of people that its OK to run ULP in the leaded alloyheads. Over a period of many thousand KM's you will get valve recession but wont do any instant damage. My xf was leaded, 85 model.

My old xe efi was leaded too and run like crap on lead replacement and fine on ulp.

Pete

·
Not a Joe Lunchpail
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this has opened a can of worms. As for just having an alloy head to run on ulp - I don't think so Martin - like fordmuscle_83 says - the damage takes time but will happen. The valve seats weren't hardened so they errode away without he lubricating properties of the lead - which also assists in anti-detonation - but detonations not really a problem on a 8.8:1 compression ratio - a small timing retard would erradicate that. I've concluded that even though he's been running it on ULP he shouldn't have - so I'll flag that one. Thanks for all the input guys.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Run BP Ultimate with flashlube or valvesaver. You get higher octane and better milage. Ultimate also flushes a lot of the carbon out of your engine. Costs more, but your car will run heaps better.

·
Registered
364 Posts
XF__UTE said:
Run BP Ultimate with flashlube or valvesaver. You get higher octane and better milage. Ultimate also flushes a lot of the carbon out of your engine. Costs more, but your car will run heaps better.
The cost is not worth it in my opinion. Better off running ULP and saving the cash for hardened seats......or better still, and xf unleaded head from wreckers.

·
Registered
341 Posts
all aloy heads have hardened valves seats.

ULP is fine to run in an aloyhead.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You'd be mad to run ULP in pre ULP 4.1. Sure, they may have the hardened valve seats but the ULP motors had a lowered compression ratio. This was to accomodate the lower octane of ULP. Just remember the motors in the XF series one and previous motors were designed to run on super when its octane rating was at 97 or 98 (I can't remember). And, like the holden 202, really were meant to run on 99 octane fuel. But, as part of phasing out Lead in petrol the octane of super was reduced slightly and so is LRP. LRP really is a fuel that is only just acceptable for use in older Aussie engines. You may have noticed that on hot days your motor pings - particularly when climbing hills when running of LRP. Imagine throwing even lower octane fuel in. Your motor would ping like all buggery. Not only could you damage your valves and valve seats you could damage you bottom end. Finally, I think you'll find that the valve seats in ULP motors are made of a harder material and I think the Valves are made differently to accomodate the extra heat from running on ULP.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
ir33t said:
all aloy heads have hardened valves seats.

ULP is fine to run in an aloyhead.
Yes, but there are different levels of hardness, and manufacturers usually do not specify a higher quality material than they have to (costs more money). It's different with a lot of other cars that were also sold in the US (which had unleaded since the 70's) like most Japanese cars and also a lot of the Europeans but of course this was not the case with the Falcon.

The lead-memory effect will last for a while, and also the other main factors that affect valve seat recession (VSR) are revs and load - have either (or both) high and it is bad, low is good. Dribbling around in a Falcon auto not seeing more than 2000rpm would last a reasonable time on ULP without any mods.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Go the premium unleaded, you get much better fuel economy and 98 octane. All alloy heads have hardened seats, which are good enough to run gas without a problem, so i can't see running unleaded in them causing much difference. Besides how many km's has the guy done in the car running unleaded in it? And does it seem to have hurt the motor?

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
While the pre ULP heads have 'hardened' seats (ie harder than the alloy the head is make of) they are not the same standard as the hardened seats in the post '86 ULP heads.

Yes they will run ULP and LPG for the most part, but it will eventually destroy the head, my first engine had this exact problem ('82 XE). It was dual fuel but the previous owner never ran petrol through it, even the fuel in the tank was stale, and the head was stuffed. The conversion was done in 1993, I got the car in '98 if that gives you an idea of how quickly they can be killed.

2 tanks of premium to 1 tank LRP or premium/additive should be fine.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
xdc351 said:
While the pre ULP heads have 'hardened' seats (ie harder than the alloy the head is make of) they are not the same standard as the hardened seats in the post '86 ULP heads.

Yes they will run ULP and LPG for the most part, but it will eventually destroy the head, my first engine had this exact problem ('82 XE). It was dual fuel but the previous owner never ran petrol through it, even the fuel in the tank was stale, and the head was stuffed. The conversion was done in 1993, I got the car in '98 if that gives you an idea of how quickly they can be killed.

2 tanks of premium to 1 tank LRP or premium/additive should be fine.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Yes but how many Klrs was on it when it went bad? I mean drive, then when it starts missing etc. Then either sell it or fix it.You could spend more than your cars worth...Pluss some additive every second tankfull will make it last ages driven reasonably. Older valve stem seals may help with some lubing there also.. Though a pita if too bad...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts