Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
EA Ghia
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had my upper control arm bushes replaced with adjustable castor/camber kit and new bushes damn it made a huge difference :) so much easier to drive and feels alot better on the road. had it done at pedders for $341

now pedders reckon i need these parts to, these are the ones i have checked and they seem to be in pretty poor shape (original ford bushes that have done 225000km's :( )
FRONT
sway bar bushes both worn, knocking
both inner lower bushes and outers excessively worn, unders walking out of arm
radius bushes badly worn, have excessive movement
wheel bearings have excessive movement

REAR
Lowerbushes have torn, have excessive movement

how much would i be looking at for all of these they havnt given me a quote yet, could i do these myself without any specail tools?

by the way the upper bushes that have been replaced where definetely stuffed, they had about 5cm of travel was clunking all over the place :(

cheers

chris

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
glad to hear it's made a difference, just one thing though. I can't comment from personal experience, but Pedders are notorious for overcharging and claiming that parts need to be replaced when they are in effect fine. As I said I've never had them do any work on my car, but I have heard this from more than a few other owners, so it may pay just to get someone else to check it out, see what they think, and if they agree that it needs doing, go from there. There's no point shelling out the $$$ is there's nothing wrong!

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
I agree with back2thefutura, get a second opinion of what these guys are claiming. Pedders like to over speculate on things that dont necessarily need doing. I will be going to get the $15 suspension check from them and I will taking everything they say with a pinch of salt.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Most of those bushes usually go, can't see any there which would need special tools. Now that you've had the control arm bushes done, you should be able to DIY for the rest.
Try another suspension mob, if you're in Perth Wilkinson's are good.

·
EA Ghia
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unfortuneately im in brisbane, and i knew i couldnt do the uppersmyself so i got them to do it, they where the cheapest when i rang around for the uppers but im not to sure on the others some of them i can see are defenitely stuffed, dont trust there opinion on the rack and the wheel bearings tho, i do have shudder at low speeds with my power steer tho would that indicate any problems?

cheers

chris c

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
you can do upper control arm bushes easly by your self!

The only ones that cant be done at home (without a press) is the rear trailing arms. appart from that i replaced all of my bushes at home in a vice......$450 for the whole kit.

·
now with EF power!
891 Posts
Upper controll arms can be done by yourself....even i managed to do them :D

·
AKA: Spaniard
848 Posts
I should get mine looked at then! I wouldn't mind to have better control in my car. Might make a few calls around.

·
I love my FORD!
480 Posts
i had peddes look at some clonks in my steering, for $14 it's not bad, cos they can give you a good idea of whats wrong!

·
EA Ghia
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea i needed mine to be shimmed etc, as they are adjustable and i dont have the gear to do it all (wheel alignment etc)

i plan on doing the rest cept my rear trailing arms

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
i didnt mind pedders to much, had my old GSR suspension done thru them was a great price, better then a lot of other places and did the job quite well :)

but definately shop around though shouldnt be that hard to do by yourself, not many things really are :)

Cheers

Chris

·
Phat Drift Damage Victim
985 Posts
The rear trailing arm bushes you can do yourself if you get exchange arms, exchange arms are what everyone are doing these days and you only end up paying a few $$$'s more. Even pedders dont press bushes out, just throw an exchange arm in and send the arms away to get new bushes.

We use pedders as a sublet at my work and we get pretty good work from them and they're priced rather competively, they supplied all the bits (shocks, springs, camber kit) to lower a work mates BA ute, compared to other quotes they were the cheapest and the thing handles like it's on tracks and looks the part

Seeing as your in Brisbane I'd give Fulcrum a call too, they do excellent suspension work but you pay for it. They'll make custom spec bushes and suspension parts, like springs, sway bars etc

·
EA Ghia
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cheers thanks for the heads up xplodedEA btw are you southside or northside

·
Phat Drift Damage Victim
985 Posts
No worries mate, I'm on the northside

·
EA Ghia
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bah northside im at holland park, should organise a ford cruise with all the guys from here to the coast one sat night

1 - 16 of 16 Posts