Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
XW GS Fairmont
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What clutch do I have attached to my clevo?

I know it is about 4 years old and cost approx. $420 and was supposed to be a "high performance" clutch.

Looks like a Hays clutch to me but has no markings I could see.

Anybody out there know any more?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
When you hit reply, go down to "manage attachments" just below and then hit browse, and select what you want picture off your computor you want to post.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Here's some popular aftermarket clutches. Does it have the 3 big levers (ling style)? or lots of them (diaphragm style)? A lot of them don't have manufacturers stamps or tags and the only obvious way to determine the brand is sometimes the colour and minor differences in pressure plates - they are quite similar otherwise. Is it a twin or single plate and 10.5 or 11" diameter?

Here's a RAM clutch (I'm a little biased as I have one!)

Hayes

Centreforce

McLeod
can't find pic

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
shard351 said:
Damn,

How do I add a photo to this?
The technique you used is for posting a picture URL which is already on the internet.....a website or your own webspace as mentioned...not your c-drive.

Make sure the jpeg files you attach are less than 146kb and 1024 pixles.

There seems to be some problems uploading pics at present.

·
XW GS Fairmont
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the photos Tru Blu 351. Now I'm thinking it is a RAM clutch.

Lets see if the attaching works - Thanks Brenx.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I think you're right! The levers and other unique shapes seem to add up. Welcome to the club :hehe:

If required, you can get the pressure plates rebuilt and the contact face skimmed if its had a hard time. I had mine redone a few years back and the springs replaced.

·
XW GS Fairmont
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't removed it yet. Just thinking it may need a new friction plate. I don't want to put the whole lot together again and find that the clutch gives up in the next hundred miles.

Definitely needs a new thrust bearing and carrier!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
shard351 said:
I haven't removed it yet. Just thinking it may need a new friction plate. I don't want to put the whole lot together again and find that the clutch gives up in the next hundred miles.

Definitely needs a new thrust bearing and carrier!
Check the small spiggot bearing in the back of the crank too while it's all out. They're only a few bucks.

Put a ruler edgeways across the pressure plate when removed to ensure the surface is square.

My old trick last time I put the bellhousing on was to trap some coil ignition wires between it and the block :doh: can't see them from under the car! Lit up like a christmas tree when I turned the key :hy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts