Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Damage Fixxer
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to toss the old 221 6cyl out and drop a 351 into my trusty XW, but I am unsure of what I need to change suspension wise. Did the V8's just have stiffer springs and a different sway bar or are all teh suspension arms different too? Also were the rear springs different from the 6's to the 8'? Thanks in advance.
Jas.

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
About all you would need is the front spring's suited for a V8 but you may aswell put a bigger sway bar in it and I'm pretty sure the GT's of that era were the only one's to have the 6 leaf spring's in the rear all other's including some V8's were only the 5 leaf one's,which is what you should all ready have, let us know how you go,I would love to put a 351 in my XW one day to replace the 221 aswell.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Main thing is change the springs to take the weight, and the shockers to match. Also unless you have done it I would advise renewing all the bushes, etc. Go right through it so that when the 351 goes in the car drives as well as it can.

·
Damage Fixxer
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I've had a change of plans. an EL 4.0l will reside in the engine bay now. but I think I will still put some lowered V8 springs in and a sway bar, to get a nice ride. Should be pretty good, as they are torquey engines. I think I will just use the 4spd auto.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts