Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If u had say $6000 to spend, including buying the car, which model e series falcon/fairmont/fairlane would u buy to mod up?
Given it has to be reliable and look half decent.

Would you go for something like a EA falcon and drop a AU engine in it, whack on a good exhaust, and if theres money left put a 5speed in?

Or would u spend a bit more on and get something like a EB/D fairmont because it already has a heap features. And maybe just do the cam and exhaust?

Or would you hunt round the auctions for a 1/2 decent EB/D/F with a blown engine and try pick up a cheap engine from else where, throw in a few bolt on mods and be happy?

I dunno what id do. Either look round for a decent EB/D fairmont, and put a few small things in with hopes of future mods.
OR pick up a EA or EB Fairmont with a rooted engine and try the AU conversion.

Ideas?
Can u put in how much u'd spend on each item so as we can see how u are doing with your $6k 'budget' :)

Can u tell im board? :D

·
Woodsa
56 Posts
I got me a EA 5 speed SVO and I would happily recommend from experience that you look around for a real nice EA 5 speed S-pak. or something similar. then put a nice LSD with a good ratio and muck around for power outta the motor like an exhaust, CAM and POD or cold air. if it is in good nic, you will find yourself outrunning any six commodorre even a SUper six, because they only come in auto! that is what I had planned to do but ended up getting a thrashed SVO, still it forced me to get a good diff and get to know it. the EA is a little lighter but no where near a solid as the EB onwards. but i still love em'

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
$6k is a pretty low budget, but I think it would be quite possible to buy a decent EA-ED for $2k, then spend another $2k on buying a wrecked EF with rear damage from the auctions. Throw everything from thermofans to engine/transmission/diff to interior into the car, then spend $2k on basic mods like King springs, exhaust, Wade cam and colour coding.

Another idea is taking a $500 EA GL 3 speed, and leaving the outside as is, but throwing in a short ratio LSD, MPI conversion, a twin-T3 budget turbo set-up and getting the engine rebuilt to handle the boost. If you do it all yourself you just might run 12s or 13s for the money. :hehe:

·
Newbie #10458632
100 Posts
Could always buy an extaxi EF with about 600,000 k's on the clock. I know a bloke who got one for a grand. I bought one for $3,500 (with 12 months rego), because it had been recarpeted inside and was dam near flawless. Just an idea but.

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
I would buy a manual EB2 or ED with nice paint for around 3.5 to 4000 then add 17's and dump it low with a nice sounding exhaust with the rest of the money. That was the plan for my ED anyway but I killed it to soon : (

Unfortunately 6 grand wont get you a very nice looking and fast car. Or alternatively do what jack said and buy a clapped out EA, give the engine a rebuild and whack on a 2nd hand turbo and intercooler and if all done yourself you may very well have a 13 second falcon for under $6000.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I'd probably buy a 5 speed EA S pack for about $2500-$3000 and do the usual stuff like wheels, suspension, exhaust, extractors, cam, headwork and diff ratio.

Ash

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
EB series 1!
They are cheap and easy to get but their are a lot of differances in the chassie between the Ea and the EB series 1.
Series II is better with the 4.0 motor and a few other changes but the asking price is a lot more.
For $6k I'd do what I'm doing now and turbo it but without the contacts and mechanical knowledge (and the ability to weld) 6k isn't realistic for that kind of project.

For someone starting out I'd get a 5sp EB series 1 get a fairmont ghia ed interior for $250 and fit it.
Get a mate with a nice ED lowered with exhaust and mags to crash his car and then buy it from his insurance company and get the 16" mags with new tyres and full suspension setup and exhaust (also about 2 months old) and the 3.27 diff and put it all in your beast (my wreak cost $1500) then I sold some of the bits so the actual cost was about $600
Get a good alarm and respray it and volia nice car for around 6k.

Oh umm thats exactly what I'm doing anyway ;-)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
buy a auction EF and whack a supercharger kit on it,leave it stock looking giving it the sleeper look..

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
carazy said:
EB series 1!
They are cheap and easy to get but their are a lot of differances in the chassie between the Ea and the EB series 1.

its actually the series 2 EB's that got the better chassis/roof structure

if it were me i'd get a half decent factory 5 speed EA or EB with light front and side panel damage, shouldnt cost any more than say $1500. i'd then get a rear ended EB2 or ED Ghia that should cost at most say a grand, transfer all the nice bits over, to the freshly repaired and painted in whatever colour you fancy and whala

it shouldnt cost you any more than 6 grand all up

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
id buy a brock EA.... somethin like 165kw stock then do er up to my 6k budget.. whatyas reckon???

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
Supa R00 said:
id buy a brock EA.... somethin like 165kw stock then do er up to my 6k budget.. whatyas reckon???
i reckon you wouldnt get hold of a genuine brock ea, even in damaged form, for under 6k.......

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
MADNC_8 said:
its actually the series 2 EB's that got the better chassis/roof structure
They did get further improvments but the main changes were from EA 2 to EB1.
Trust me drive an EA 2 then an EB 1 big differance in how they drive.
EB2 got lots more sound proofing.

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
carazy said:
They did get further improvments but the main changes were from EA 2 to EB1.
Trust me drive an EA 2 then an EB 1 big differance in how they drive.
EB2 got lots more sound proofing.
LOL i do every day i have a 90 EA wagon and a 91 NC Fairlane

trust me on this one 99% of the changes were in the EB1 - EB2 update

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
EB series 2 or ED.
Mainly because they both have smartlock and if you want to convert to the BBM manifold at some point, it will be easier to put an EL ECU in.

Also because the EB (as a few have already noted) and later have some significant changes which make for a slightly more refined car than the EA.

I would also buy a manual.

Rick.

·
Registered
367 Posts
$6000 isn't a lot to start with I'd be looking at a EA 5 speed;mpfi. Buy one with a good straight body & good paint because on your budget your not going to be able spend money on bodywork. Throw a set of EBXR6 wheels on; new king springs low or superlows; then try to pick up a secondhand set of extractors & 2 1/2 exhaust. If your lucky you may have a few bucks left for colour coding or tinting or whatever you want

·
Registered
48 Posts
At The auction last wednesday i say an el ghia go for about $6k all extras, leather trim, V8 and done low ks. At the auctions they go cheep especialy in sydney 'cause their to big for most ppl, even au's only go for 10k. I thought it was a joke. Wish i had some money, lol. ppl are crazy, things like a 98 laser went for 13k, don't get me wrong lasers a good chicks car but i just dont think its worth more than a falcon.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
You can pick up, if you wait, an EA 5-speed for $700 or so, licenced and with reasonable paint.
Then fix up the paint, MPFI, diff, put an NC wiring loom/ABS etc in it.
I sat down and worked out once, that it would cost a little less than $4k for parts to repair the car back up to better than new standards, including replacing the shocks, rubbers, and headlights. But not the windscreen.
Obviously, Bilstiens will stretch the budget a little more :).
But $4k to do that, then another few hundred for the NC loom, $600 for a 3.45, and a few hundred for a little paint, comes to $5k.
Then if you put better than cheap tyres on it, that eats up more, and there's tinting, call it $600 extra total, remembering I've already allowed $400 for cheap tyres.
That's $5600 and you now have a v8-eating, vERY clean piece of machinery.

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
sounds like youve got it all planned out mongrelEB!!! lol :p i think 6k is a bit low tho if u want a really nice/fast car, 10k would be better, then u could mass around with home turbo setups!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts