Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waiting for such a long time for some news on the next powerplant to be used in the upcomming models. It could be the 5.4L, 4.6LDOHC or 4.6LSOHC. All very good choices.

I also note that the romeo engine plant in the states has been expanded to handle extra capacity in 2002 with Plant production increasing by 119,000 units · New 4.6-liter aluminum block line being built · 75 new jobs being created. " The capacity increase, which will bring Romeo Engine Plant's annual production to more than 780,000 units, and the new aluminum block line will begin production in 2002. "The continued growth of the Romeo Engine Plant is due in large part to the successful implementation of lean manufacturing initiatives like the Ford Production System and the commitment of the onsite work teams," said Krygier.

I have also heard a whisper that their is a 5.0L modular available, anyone else heard this news?

I would prefer a DOHC (in as large a capacity as possible) and a blower however as it would scream power all the way past HSV but what do everyone else feel about the situation.

We know that the boys at Blue Oval keep an eye on the site so lets tell 'em what we want - the sad thing however is that the choice would already have been made given production lead times etc...but I think it would be interesting none the less.

T

·
0 Posts
The boy's at Blue Oval (Ford) and Tickford don't only look at this site. They are also members. So whatever you say here, they read. Climb on board the Magic Bus for a trip to Mel in October and see what is really going on at Ford. You may get a surprise.

Doc

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
I read in the Herald Sun today that we may see a two engine line up from 2002. 4.6 for base cars and 5.4 for XR8 & FTE. Sounds fair enough to me.. ;)

·
EB Fairmont Owner
191 Posts
Ford Man: Did you also happen to see the advertisement for City Ford advertising a certain XR8 "Element" with 270 kW coming soon?!?!?!?!?!? :eek:

Not only that but Ford's spending nicely on advertising - half page ads within the front few pages for Falcon SR and the Fairlane - both looking VERY nice!

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
TickfordEB said:
Ford Man: Did you also happen to see the advertisement for City Ford advertising a certain XR8 "Element" with 270 kW coming soon?!?!?!?!?!? :eek:
Heh now you have me interested :cool:

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Yeah I saw that. There's that many "special" Falc's out there at the moment it's hard to keep up with what's what!!.. Marlin XLS ute from Strapp Ford, Falcon Storm from City Ford, XR8 Element coming soon it's all to confusing... :confused: :confused: :confused:
XR8 Element might be a Herrod jobbie. That's my guess anyway.. :confused:

·
EB Fairmont Owner
191 Posts
Ford Man said:
XR8 Element might be a Herrod jobbie. That's my guess anyway.. :confused:
Yeah I think you might be right.

Originally posted by DONUT KING
And here was me thinkin it could be the Lowndes XR8 somehow given the name element
oh yeah I forgot about the Lowndes XR8 - do you know when it's going to be released, or is it still just a rumour?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think theirs been more talk of the Lowndes XR than any other concept over the last few months but it would be nice to see it happen.

The choice of engines interests me also. Wouldn't be great to get back to the days of being able to option your engine purchase, 4.6 or 5.4. I think that Ford will put one one the T and one in the XR for costs etc as Ford Man said.

Whats the deal with the 270kw car, I.ve not seen anything?

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
TickfordEB said:
Tell me all about this 270 Element thing. Is that City Ford in Melbourne? If so I would appreciate contact details!!!

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
Tell me all about this 270 Element thing. Is that City Ford in Melbourne? If so I would appreciate contact details!!!
City Ford Melbourne... Ph 03 9349 1277... www.city-ford.com.au

·
EA Wagon Member
469 Posts
i just want at least or more power than whatever holden/hsv gets to stop the idiots paying out on ford :)

but a 351kw GTHO sounds good to me, along with a million bucks in ma wallet and i'd be set for life :D

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts

·
EL Fairmont Ghia Member
190 Posts
Hmm, I think the quad cam V8 4.6 Mustang motor sounds about right as a stock option for fortes etc, 5.4 type R conf for XR8 and a supercharged 5.4 for the T series........

Current Street Machine had the boys there asking for a stripped performance version of the GTS. WHy not the same with a T Series................

Did anyone catch the typo about a month ago in the Herald Sun's Car guide, saying that one Ford dealer, can't remember which was selling 2000kw Herrod utes............I wouldn't mind one of them......Wilkes might have made one...........rip

Jas

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Going on current engines I would think that the 5.4L would be the V8 to put in the XR8 over the 4.6L as someone's said before the image and marketing of the 5.4 would be seen in a better light over the 4.6 against the bigger 5.7L engine in the Comode.
Mind you, in saying that, if the 4.6 was putting out figures like the 5.7L Chev, maybe the efficiency or KW/litre of the 2 engines could be used as a marketing tool? Still, the old saying applies,
"There's no substitute for cubic inches" and maybe the 5.4 would have more scope for different power outputs and would do the job easier than the 4.6.
:?:
Maybe there will be something else down the track for us, only Geoff and David know that for sure but alas they proberly cannot tell us... I'll just be happy with a reasurance for now that we won't be dissapointed.
Rastus.

·
Administrator
4,980 Posts
Rastus:I have mentioned a few things along these lines before.I think if the 4.6 is used it will be a slight step up from the 5.0 but i don't think it is looking ahead.We do need to get alot closer to the 5.7 chev if not passed it in cubes for some of the higher end cars.There is no substitute for cubes. Ask any Holden guy that now has a 5.7 that used to have the 5.0. My mate had a 185kw Senator and now has the 5.7 SS .There is no comparison at all. The 5.7 has it beat in every aspect.I think the 4.6 is a bit small for the Falcon even tho it has the KW's, it probably needs to do a bit of revving to get the full benefits. Falcons need a good meaty torque spread to do the deeds and cubes are what do that.I know there is supercharging but the Falcon needs it without that.I would hate to think we have to use a blown car just to be where Holdens unblown car is.I know i've said it all before but Ford only has to look at where Holden is to get the message thru.Big engines work and they don't have to be any hungrier as the Holden 5.7 is more economical than the 5.0 Ford now.

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
Definately the 5.4 L.

With the commodore already at 5.7 and will proberly be avalible with a 6.0 L in HSV's ford trying to sell a 4.6L just isn't going to work, even if they made heaps of power the torque issue remains. Six litres is always going to seem a hell of alot more than four something litres, even if the LS1's are top endy.

Why did holden drop the nissan 3 litre and didn't go with the inline 3 from Opel? Cubics. You need 5.4. How the hell will the 4.6 sell when ford was selling 4.0's sixes not that long ago.

5.4 L in all cars. Anything else will be simply unacceptable.

Of course, if they made the 5.4 L here they would be cheaper and more avalible.

Then in the T-series you could have your choice, hot 5.4 or imported 5.8L. Superchargers should only be used if bigger engines cannot be sourced. If it has to come to it, I would support Ford in squeezing a 6 Liter V10 into a car.

Hmmm...
6 L V10 GTHO - The final Phase. Its beyond numbering.

Ford Australia you must complete the fitting of a ever larger engine to a car. We need more cylinders and more capacity.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
20 Participants
Cobra
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing