Ford Forums banner

What Fuel do you guys use...

12K views 84 replies 29 participants last post by  sleeper 
#1 ·
Hey I was just wondering what people here tend to put in their cars. (specifically the MPFI 4.0 Litre 6).

Reg Unleaded?
Premium Unleaded?
Optimax?
OTHER?

thanks

#6 ·
What i pu tin my baby, Vortex for daily running (quite affordable) and Synergy 8000 if i need abit of a power boost...:p :p

#7 ·
When I use regular unleaded in my AUII falcon, fuel consumption is absolutley ****. I get 350kms to a tank around town.

So, I have been using Optimax, which increases my distance to a tank to 450kms. No bull ****.

When I had my KN Laser, Optimax made NO Difference to fuel consumption.

Either My Falcon just DOES NOT like regular unleaded, Or the servo is diluting the fuel some how!...

Fuel consumption has gotten better after the engine has worn in more.

#10 ·
Our EA 30th Anniversary MPFI had it's fuel card incorrectly set to premium unleaded (he he he). It used to get around 11l/100 on the highway. Then the company woke up and reset it to std fuel. Consumption went up to 11.8 average. Better throttle response with premium too.

With the cost of fuel these days, I use std all the time unless the car needs premium. Otherwise it's Optimax only. ALways used Shell Premium, always will. Just a hint, when I was racing years ago a bunch of us did dyno testing of fuels and Ultra Hi won out over the rest. Last year CSV recommended that owners use only Shell fuels (apparently for the same reason).

#11 ·
I used to put BP Premium in the old car, as the difference between std. and premium was 3-5c at the servo near where I lived. When that changed, and the difference was that of other fuel companies, I switched to Optimax. I don't drive to and when I do big trips premium gives better fuel economy, so I only plan on putting Optimax in the XR while I'm driving the beast.

#12 ·
Aussie Falcon said:
Anyone know how to silence the beeping? gets a bit annoying after a while.
Fill it up with juice.. :rolleyes: Sorry, I couldn't help it.. :D

#14 ·
Ive been using Mobil 8000 since new in my std I6 AU2 Auto. Ive now done about 1400km and the economy and power is below average.
The last fill I put in 37 litres and had travelled 210km (city cycle). Thats about 20l/100k. :thumbdown
Because the car is still so new, I'm taking it pretty easy but I'm hoping the economy will improve with age. (soon)
Going by these figures I couldn't recommend the 8000 to anybody considering the extra cost involved (5-7cpl)
I also have an old hack KA Laser auto (bought for $250, 2 years ago) and I use Optimax religeously. I notice the engine runs smoother with more power and better economy. :thumbup:

#15 ·
I stick to Optimax or Mobil Synergy 8000. Have done so since both these products have been out, before then I used premium.

First time I used premium was in an EL Futura I owned back in 97 that had a 5.0l. I noticed a difference in performance, so I stick by the higher octane fuels. I don't know about this Vortex stuff....

Jas

#20 ·
mbrown and anyone else getting heavy fuel consumption from their I6...

Have someone check the O2 sensor - they have a bad habit of dying quite regularly and even brand new they can be duds.
I had exactly that problem with my AU XR6 - replaced the sensor and much better - around 400 - 450Ks per tank around town and anything up to 600 or more out of town - and I'm not light on the right foot either;)

BTW I use regular ULP most times, Caltex/Ampol PULP when I want some more go...:thumbup:

#22 ·
Yeh I've been using Optimax since it's been out and it was OK in the EF Ghia 4.0, perhaps a little better on the economy side, mind you ya pay for it. Still the only one I use in the AU 5.0, but if I was to use another it would be the Mobil 8000.Same octane as the Shell (98), whereas I think the Vortex is just a new name slapped onto Caltex's old Premium which is only 97 octane.Not sure. Only once has the missus put normal unleaded in the AU, and sure enough I could pick it without knowing she had, pinged a little on medium throttle.
Rastus.

#24 ·
At the moment i have adopted mums car! ;)

Its a 96 EL with 67k's and i fill it with ULP, tryed Vortex and i could not see any difference. I get between 550 and 600km out of about 60 liters depending on how i drive it!
She runs sweet dosent miss a single beat! :D

These cars are so nice to drive on long distances, the only thing it lacks is the cruise control! :(

Once I'm done witha few cosmetic mods i'll put a few picturs up for you guys to see!

#26 ·
Guys,

Whats everyones opinion on Vortex, any bad news about it. I've heard that it strips oil out of the bore thus causing crank problems, hmmm i'll have to give vortex the flick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.